Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!
  2. We're giving away over $500 in prizes this month in the Northwest Firearms Summer Giveaway!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Do you like BBQ, prizes, and keeping our public lands clean? Help us clean up Mt Hood today from 9am to 1pm!
    Dismiss Notice

Emergency canned heat

Discussion in 'Preparedness & Survival' started by ATCclears, Nov 25, 2012.

1. ATCclears

ATCclears Seattle area, WA Well-Known Member

2. safetyman

safetyman Clark County, WA Active Member

Very innovative. I've seen homemade alcohol stoves before but none that used toilet paper as a wick. I need to try this out sometime...maybe after spaghetti this week.

3. sneakboxer

sneakboxer NW OR Active Member

I have used these in deer blinds in Northern Michigan and there work really good. They don't emit much light and very little to no smoke. But use a tight fitting can and don't over fill them. I once kicked a coffee can half full of alcohol with a roll of TP and lets say it was a very good thing there was snow on the ground...

4. Boomerang

Boomerang Portland area Active Member

What are some alternatives for a wick, instead of using TP?

carracer and (deleted member) like this.
  5. Asavage270

Asavage270 eugene Active Member

tightly packed cotton will also work as wick but may produce more smoke/ residue. I have used an old sock for a wick before. (clean of course, to avoid un necessary smell)

TP is however the best wick i have found. Unless of course your limited on amount in which case other wicks can be used.

wiping with a sock is far less plesant than TP