JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
In the event of a theft I like that I can easily and securely access my serials from any (secure) computer, or more importantly my phone. Beats digging around for paperwork, won't get stolen, impervious to data loss

I guess that would depend on what type of server you connect to for email. (Gmail, hotmail, etc) My personal email server for my domain even if asked by the client to leave a copy on the server, it will be purged within 30 days to save space on the server.

Write the serials down, and put them in a safe place. Its the only fool proof way to keep record.

Time to get free gmail :) google apps for my domain is awesome.

I don't really think anything is fool-proof. Maybe with multiple layers of redundancy. Even then...

I use a program I found online called Gun Safe. It is written in file maker pro and it contains all info about my firearms including pictures. Everytime I edit it I zip it up and store it on two different places online that give free storage.

Just remember that any free-mail service has absolute rights to the content stored there in. Hotmail/yahoo/gmail, all such things like that have you sign away ownership of content when you agree to the EULA.

Not sure about service accounts; Comcast/verizon/etc

Just remember that any free-mail service has absolute rights to the content stored there in. Hotmail/yahoo/gmail, all such things like that have you sign away ownership of content when you agree to the EULA.

True but they don't typically just give up information. It is counter-productive to business.

I would not do this as a few of my friends on yahoo have had their accounts hacked and I have been hacked once. I didn't care because I dont keep important info in my email but that could have been bad if I had emailed myself the codes off my guns. I have three safes and have the numbers written down and keep them in a different safe than my guns.

There's more to it than that.
11. Content licence from you
11.1 You retain copyright and any other rights you
already hold in Content which you submit, post or display on or
through, the Services.

As far as getting hacked, while I suppose anything is possible, strong passwords and proper security attitudes should be enough to keep you safe.
You can also download a hard copy. I'm not suggesting you older guys burn/tear up your serial # docs, I'm just saying this is a secure, quick way to access that info from anywhere- and add a layer of redundancy to your process. I do data recovery for a living...I have a serious penchant for redundancy.

I like BurnSoft My Guns. BurnSoft -Welcome to BurnSoft
It's about $15.00 I think, but it can store pictures easily, I have pictures of guns and serial numbers, scanned pictures of receipts and this software allows you to put in more details than you really need. It can easily be backed up for safe keeping. I stumbled upon it on a message board. They give you a period of time to try it for free.

Get one of the many "collecting" software programs. There are several specific fire arm programs. I keep everything on a $10 8gb flash drive, plus a back up of the same at a separate location. I have all the info and photo's in the event of loss.

Originally Posted by darkminstrel

True but they don't typically just give up information. It is counter-productive to business. True but they don't typically just give up information. It is counter-productive to business.

they have all signed an agreement to hand over any and all information if the government ask for it so ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Gmail and others will do a far better job of backing up the data than any of us could dream of. The obvious downside is OPSEC and the possible inability to ever purge that data. Use that to your advantage.

I'm a huge fan of hiding in plain sight.

Suppose I want to store a bank account #12220-06616

Some options:

1) make it look like a phone #: (122) 200-6616
2) add "1" to each digit: 23331-17727

Your level of obsession may vary, but you can take it from there. Unless you do something bone headed like name an attachment "gun_serial_numbers.xls" doubtful anyone would ever go looking.

I do this for LOTS of stuff. I have a Google Apps account (basically Gmail for businesses) for my personal mail with tons of storage. The Gmail search is VERY fast and efficient (big surprise), so finding info saved is extremely easy.

As for the internet being down, if Google goes down you are going to have WAY bigger problems then not reaching your e-mail. That's when the zombies arrive and bubblegum serial numbers, time to load up!

Evernote is good for storing information like this you want to keep, and you can encrypt text as well. You can save pictures as well, and its all accessible from your computer, a smart phone, or a browser.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top