JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
After reading Kevin Starrett's recent attack e-mail and blog posting, I thought it was time to send out another message to each of you. But first, I truly appreciate the many replies of thanks to my last e-mail. I believe that it is important to communicate directly with folks, especially as I try to set the record straight against someone spreading misinformation about me.
I'd like to start by acknowledging that gun owners may not always agree with each other on every issue, but we should be willing to discuss the merits of those issues without misrepresenting the facts or calling each other names.
That said, I am continually disappointed in the behavior of Kevin Starrett and his attacks on my character. Kevin has demonstrated his skill at name-calling, but he does not have the facts to back up his claims. Even I was surprised that Kevin continued to deny any association with the altered photo of me that appeared … and his accusation that I was the person who fabricated it. Really? Here are the facts:
Although he took down the image the day after I pointed it out, Kevin failed to realize that it would be retained on the World Wide Web. Here’s a link to the picture my staff was able to locate through a Google "spider" search: www.leg.state.or.us/prozanski/ammoland_website.jpg.
As clearly indicated by its web address, the altered photograph was posted on ammoland.com. The posting, titled "Anti-Gun Oregon Senator Prozanski, Cuckoo or Crazy Like a Fox," was contributed by and credited to OFF.
After my first e-mail, Kevin sent me a message demanding that I apologize to him for stating that he altered my picture and posted it on ammoland.com. He even threatened to file an ethics complaint if I did not.
Knowing that my statements are factual, I sincerely had hoped that Kevin would file his complaint. He did not because the facts don't support him. Instead, he sent out another e-alert blasting me and, predictably, asking you for money. Kevin continues to defame my character and misrepresent my position on gun rights. If he truly believes that the facts support his claims, he should file his ethics complaint.
As stated in my last e-mail, I am pro-gun. I support the Second Amendment of the U.S. Constitution and Article I, Section 27, of the Oregon Constitution. I personally own several firearms and have owned guns since I was 15. I am also a member of my party’s gun caucus.
As a gun owner for more than 40 years, I believe certain felons (e.g., murderers, rapists and felons who used a gun or dangerous weapon to commit a person felony) should not be eligible to petition for restoration of their right to purchase or possess guns. On the other hand, Kevin believes all felons should have that right. I see no reason for Kevin to resort to such extreme tactics against me just because we disagree on this issue, except to try to raise money.
In Kevin's recent e-alert, he praised passage of HB 2792 as it pertained to clarifying possessing firearms on motorcycles and ATVs, but stated he had misgivings about some felons not being able to petition the courts for gun rights. As the chair of the Senate Judiciary Committee, I amended HB 2792 to include both of those provisions. The bill passed the Senate 24-5, and the House 45-12.
Since Kevin did not give you all of the facts, here is a link to the bill signed by the Governor: leg.state.or.us/11reg/measpdf/hb2700.dir/hb2792.en.pdf.
As I also stated in my first e-mail to you, Kevin uses scare tactics to raise money for his organization. He denies it on the premise that he did not ask for money in his May 31 posting that contained the altered photo. He then makes a pitch for your money in his July 23 e-alert! Does he really think we're that gullible? All session long he used a time-honored approach of some advocacy groups to raise money: First, sound the alarms and use scare tactics, and then ask for money to fight the "Big Bad" __________ (fill in the blank). Kevin decided to make me the "Big Bad" to try to raise money. He fails to mention that I’m a gun owner and that I work as a municipal prosecutor when I’m not in session.
Kevin continues to provide you with misinformation and has lost credibility with many legislators. I suggest you consider getting the facts from another gun rights organization. The NRA and the Oregon Gun Owners are two respected advocacy groups that will provide you with actual facts and that work positively with legislators. Those groups are known to advocate effectively for gun rights in Oregon.
You can also review the legislative record yourself. All bills and committee records can be accessed here: <broken link removed> . Currently, the two judiciary committees are scheduled to discuss additional gun legislation during the interim. You can follow the committees’ work through the above link.
In closing, I want to reemphasize that gun owners may not always agree with each other on every issue, but we should be willing to discuss the merits of those issues without misrepresenting the facts or calling each other names. As always, my office is ready to assist you in getting legislative information and I welcome your input.
Thanks again,
Floyd
Oregon

Man, both of them are making a lot out of whether or not there was a photoshopped image.

Funny how Prozanski mentions the history of bills and takes credit for helping with the passage HB 2792. HB 2792 originally began as a concealed carry reciprocity measure <broken link removed> and then the bill changed after the Senate amendments <broken link removed> .

I wanted the original version of that bill to get a vote along with the CHL privacy bill, HB 2787, which died in committee. Unless I'm very mistaken, Sen. Prozanski kept both from happening. He must support a different variety of gun rights than I.

Yeah I got the same e-mail, just another politician's story, can't beleve he is even taking the time to do this. If it would do any good I would e-mail back and ask

So what is wrong with reprocity? why did you not move forward on that, it was a 1 page bill. Keep it simple stupid. That was the simplest of all the bills to pass and you couldn't even do that.

Just disapointed in our leglislature.

Not to mention CHL privacy, just like a driver's license is protected from "general disclosure"... why doesn't the Oregonian and every other fish wrapper news paper request the info on EVERYONE who has a driver's license and print that... after all, WAY more people are killed by autos everyday of every year.

You smell that? Smells A LOT like half-truths to me.

Response from Kevin Starrett of the OFF: https://www.oregonfirearms.org/

Prozanski's lies may well be too many to catalog, but one final lie deserves attention. In his attack on me he says :"As stated in my last e-mail, I am pro-gun. I support the Second Amendment of the U.S. Constitution and Article I, Section 27, of the Oregon Constitution. I personally own several firearms and have owned guns since I was 15. I am also a member of my party&rsquo;s gun caucus."

Well Floyd, you can say you're an astronaut too, but that does not make you one. Prozanski killed efforts to keep CHL info private and turned a bill that clarified carry on motorcycles and ATVs into a bill to ban self-defense firearms on school property. He reversed a bill he himself carried and passed through his committee (twice) but clearly never read or understood,to give persons a path for firearms rights restoration and manipulated hearings to prevent any meaningful testimony by pro-gun advocates. Can you imagine if he were anti-gun?

Prozanski has proven himself to be not only a determined enemy of liberty and the Second Amendment, but a provable liar. This must be why he is the Senate Judiciary Chair.

Ha, sounds like a "NORMAL DEMOCRAT" to me........

Response from Kevin Starrett of the OFF: Oregon Firearms Federation

From: Oregon Firearms <[email protected]> [Add to Address Book]
To: [email protected]
Subject: [OFF Alert] A RESPONSE TO PROZANSKI'S LIES.
Date: Aug 26, 2011 5:42 PM
Attachments: unknown-117 B unknown-727 B
OFF ALERT 08.26.11

KEVIN STARRETT RESPONDS TO THE FALSE, SAD, AND POSSIBLY DELUSIONAL RAVINGS OF THE SENATE JUDICIARY CHAIRMAN AND OFFERS $5000.00 IF PROZANSKI CAN PROVIDE PROOF OF HIS BIZARRE ACCUSATIONS.

(CAN’T THE DEMOCRATS FIND SOMEONE NORMAL TO RUN THIS COMMITTEE?)

More at either of the following links:

Oregon Firearms Federation

Oregon Firearms Federation

After reading the email a couple of more time. I find the senator and his STAFF are spending to much of MY TIME AND MONEY on this silliness..
Perhaps the ethics committee should know of this waste of the taxpayers MONEY...

Any body know who is head of the ethics committee???

After reading the email a couple of more time. I find the senator and his STAFF are spending to much of MY TIME AND MONEY on this silliness..
Perhaps the ethics committee should know of this waste of the taxpayers MONEY...

Any body know who is head of the ethics committee???
try here-http://www.oregon.gov/OGEC/comissionmem.shtml
chair, vice-chair, executive director, analyst, trainers, etc. Someone there should be able to give you the appropriate canned response. I see that Ken Lewis' term expires at the end of next month. Maybe that comes into play or not.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top