JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The following email was received from the Senator on February 15, 2013:

Thank you for your email about gun rights.

I believe that individuals should have the right to purchase certain types of firearms for self-defense. I also believe that concealed carry permits should be an option for some people. I also believe, however, that some common sense gun violence prevention measures are compatible with our 2nd amendment guarantees.

This legislation session I will be supporting two proposals regarding guns. The first is a ban on high capacity ammunition magazines. The second is a proposal to ban certain semi-automatic weapons. I believe neither high capacity magazines nor certain semi-automatic weapons are necessary for self-defense or hunting purposes.

However, as a family physician I do believe that these incidents should inspire us to look more closely at our mental health care system and begin discussing ways to improve it.

Once again, thank you for your email. Though we may disagree on this issue, please do not hesitate to contact me again with your ideas or concerns.

My best,

Sen. Elizabeth Steiner Hayward, MD
Salem Phone: 503-986-1717
District Phone: 503-277-2467

The Senator's email address is: Sen Steiner Hayward<[email protected]>

Unfortunately, her "beliefs" do no appear to be based on rational nor empirical evidence. As a forensic examiner in the field of criminology, I find her position likely to be uneducated nor informed. The bills she appears to want to support will not and have not in the past had any significant effect on reducing gun violence. A majority of gun violence acts are committed by gangs or gang-related murders that gun control interventions have not had any positive effect (e.g. Chicago to quote one example). He reference to "common sense" approaches do not stand up to research or epidemonological studies as can be found in the FBI crime statistics.

Maybe you shouldn't.... MD behind someone's name refers to a doctor.

Good point!
Look at where it is that she represents.. Her District has an Oregon Area code and she also gives her Salem, OR phone number too.

I'll shoot her an email a bit later and just leave out the fact that I don't live in MD. We must help our follow gun owners any way we can

Maybe you shouldn't.... MD behind someone's name refers to a doctor.

Good point!
Look at where it is that she represents.. Her District has an Oregon Area code and she also gives her Salem, OR phone number too.

Lol ok I feel stupid now. Sorry guys I bounce around different gun forums on my phone. I'm also not familiar with Oregon area codes. Anyway sorry for the confusion and I hope she gets hit with tons if legitimate Oregonians contacting her

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top