JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I'll start this with ' I'm a rifle noob :s0092:'
So this year I finally got out elk hunting with some friends. I took the rifle my dad handed down to me, '65 Winchester Model64 in 30-06. We were in the coast range and I found that the Winchester was heavy & the scope seemed like it would be a disadvantage if I ever crossed paths with one of the dang beasts moving in all that brush. Two of my buds had Marlin 30-30 lever actions with iron sights only, Model ?? These or something like them seemed to be a better choice for the wet, brush of the Coast. Would love to stay with the 30-06 for common ammunition but like the idea of a lever action. Is there is a 30-06 lever? Or what is your elk gun for the west side?
Any suggestions & input would be appreciated.

A lot of critters have fallen to the 30-30 over the years. I have always used a 7mm mag to hunt with, up until the last couple years, and then it has been a 30-06. Never found a problem with weight or with using a scope in the brush. Choose something that will work for you.

You didn't give any details about the scope. For close in brush hunting, a 3X or higher magnification scope can be a liability trying to pick up a target quickly at close range. Maybe try a 1-4.5X variable scope or similar. Does the rifle have iron sights? Maybe try bagging the scope and just going with irons.

At the distance you are talking about turn your scope down to the lowest setting. At 3x a scope should not be a problem.

While I know we all want to get the big one you still have to make safe responsible shots on game. Shooting at moving game is not always the safest idea and not safe at all unless you are 100% sure you are actually shooting at the intended game. All too often we see stories about "I saw movement in the brush and THOUGHT it was a ______ animal" then turns out to be a person.

I believe there are one or two companies making lever .30-06 but they are not cheep. For the distances you are talking .30-30 is a great choice and can easily be found for $300. The .45-70 is also a great choice but you are looking around $500.

I use 30-06 and I have fine tuned it with new trigger, ( set trigger ) that I use in open county and running shots. I have iron sights with see through scope mount for real close in the woods. The best all around round due to variety of bullet weights.

YES you can get a '06 in a lever gun.Browning make some very nice lever guns.
Not a big elk hunter,but I wouldn't use my 30-30 for elk.Maybe the heavier caliber that Marlin makes like the 444,or the 45-70
Then there is buying a bolt gun with open sites too,like cougerfan mentioned.
But I see a lot of guys around here that use the standard bolt gun with a 3-9 on it.If you learn your rifle and scope combo,you should be able to get on target plenty easy with a 3-9 and you may even need that 9 power because you can't get that close to the herd.

I hunt elk and deer with a Marlin 30-30. However I`ve never taken game over 100 yards. Its by no means a slouch at close range with proper bullet placement.
Just use it within its limitations

YES you can get a '06 in a lever gun.Browning make some very nice lever guns.
Not a big elk hunter,but I wouldn't use my 30-30 for elk.Maybe the heavier caliber that Marlin makes like the 444,or the 45-70
Then there is buying a bolt gun with open sites too,like cougerfan mentioned.
But I see a lot of guys around here that use the standard bolt gun with a 3-9 on it.If you learn your rifle and scope combo,you should be able to get on target plenty easy with a 3-9 and you may even need that 9 power because you can't get that close to the herd.

Not to start a rant but I must disagree..The 30-06 is one of the finest hunting cartridges there ever was

Not to start a rant but I must disagree..The 30-06 is one of the finest hunting cartridges there ever was

Yes it is one of the finest.:s0018: Many a fireside debate has been waged over this one, but the venerable skin busting/hide bruising old .06 is what so many calibers were based upon and compared to that you'll get no argument from me.

To the OP's question, set your scope to it's lower end magnification, use scope covers for those wet days and ALWAYS use your binoculars! Use them in both the deep woods and across draws and canyons.
Learn as much as you can about Elk and their habits, the why's and when's of what they do. Some of the best "hunting" you can do is before season.
Stick with it, don't give up hope and dress for the weather, as this side of the state can get real wet and windy.
Remember, any legal Elk taken is a gift that SHOULD be appreciated for what it is, a life taken in the pursuit of one of the most challenging, grand animals that walk the planet. Oh yes,, and they taste damn good too!:s0155:

I'd use my Savage 99 lever action in .308 Winchester. It is short, fast, light, rugged, and powerful.
I have often thought the M99 in .308 would be VERY close to ideal for a western OR elk brush gun.
I would scope it with a 2x7 or 1x4 variable and start huntin'!

First choice would be a pump gun (Rem M760(0)) chambered in .338-06 or .35 Whelen though.

Uhhhh where did I say anything bad about the '06?
I said I wouldn't use a 30-30 for elk. In a lever gun like the Marlins I would use the larger caliber.

The 30-06 if loaded properly and in the right hands ,will drop anything on the No American continent

here is my 2cents $3fity with inflation

the 30.06 is a better all around elk rifle than the 30..30

but at close range thick brush the 30 30 has its advantages being shorter your still trowing a .30 cal chunk of led.

However you come out of that thick and seen a elk standing at 200yds across a draw or clear cut you are gonna wish you had a 30.06

i have jumped several elk in the thicks but its usually too thick to see antlers cause they are gone in a flash

Most elk i have seen that i could put antlers one were across canyons draws at 200+ yards and 3x9 scope and a 30.06 or better was necessary.

there have been some great suggestions just put it at its lowest setting at 3x if you have that or get one that does,

just remove the scope and go open sights but i take it yours does not have open sights on it , A lot of 30.06 rifles are sold with open sights but the buyers remove them as they are unessary with a scope.

the 1-4 I think is a great suggestion exspecially one with a red dot rectical you will be faster than your buddys at getting on target and should one be at a distance you can zoom it up to 4 . also if you practice using the bindon aiming consept (bac) 2 eyes open which give you the fullest field of view with reflex action but a good 1-4 can be spendy.

If i only hunted thick brush or close range elk i would go with a 30.06 with a 1x4 red dot recticle scope cause in my opinion that would be the best set up.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top