JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Anyone ever hunt for elk in this unit? I put in for it this year thinking there was 0% chance I'd get it. Well...doesn't it figure, the one year I can't spend the proper time scouting OR hunting I actually draw it. I didn't think I would be able to go, but I just found out today that I can have 3 days off that week. So it turns out I'll be spending 5 total days in a unit that I've never hunted before. Crazy huh???

I hate asking this question, but I'm literally driving up on Friday night after work and hunting that following morning. Do any of you have any advice for me? Are there any areas with good camping spots that are known to hold some elk close by?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Anyone ever hunt for elk in this unit? I put in for it this year thinking there was 0% chance I'd get it. Well...doesn't it figure, the one year I can't spend the proper time scouting OR hunting I actually draw it. I didn't think I would be able to go, but I just found out today that I can have 3 days off that week. So it turns out I'll be spending 5 total days in a unit that I've never hunted before. Crazy huh???

I hate asking this question, but I'm literally driving up on Friday night after work and hunting that following morning. Do any of you have any advice for me? Are there any areas with good camping spots that are known to hold some elk close by?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I have never been to this unit, I know it is good,My buddy Bow hunts it for Elk every year... He left there the last day of bow season, He said the Bulls had been screaming every night... He did not get a Elk this year, But he got a Bear five hundred Plus, Scull is in the 40"s on inch's... He will be in Pope & Young with it...

Call Fish & Game, Get the Biologists name and #... I have never found one not to be helpful... I try to be prepared with note taking material and a map...
Good Luck!, Post Pictures...:s0155:

Good luck!
There used to be real good elk population there, and there is tons of great country.
I almost got run over by herds of cows twice there. Unfortunately I never did get a good shot at a bull in two years of trying.

Thanks Guys. I actually have a hair tag, so I'll probably take a cow on the last day if needed.;) I'll give ODFW a shout. They helped me out in the Sumpter unit before, so maybe they can do it again. I'll definitely post pictures...

I have hunted Northside many times over the years, and was there for deer season this year. We saw a butt load of elk, and didn't miss a day seeing nice bulls. Try the hills and canyons in the national forest east of Long Creek. If you need any more info. PM me, be glad to help you out.

I know it's an old thread, but if anyone has specific recommendations for the unit, I'd love to hear them. This year will be my second year hunting East Northside for elk. Last time we got tags, we didn't see anything at all, except for what was hanging on other people's meat poles.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top