JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Near Estes Park, Colorado. Beautiful country to visit if you ever get the chance.

elk1.jpg

elk3.jpg

I have to laugh...one of my buddys just got back from a Colorado hunting trip, they never even saw an elk, much less this many....now I will have to rub it in, lol!

Last time I was in Estes Park- about 3 years ago - there were at least a dozen elk in the city park. When we went to leave a few of them were standing about 5 feet in front of the car. My wife thought they were statues at first and was going to walk over next to one for a picture until it moved... I'll have to see if I can find any of the pics from that trip and post them up. It seems like a small herd of them like to hang out in town during hunting season as a refuge.
Last week when we drove from sun river over to the coast it reminded me of the drive up to Estes Park up the Thompson canyon back before they raised the roads in the 80s due to a dam failure up above Estes that flooded much of the town and did massive damage to many of the cabins along Thompson canyon. In the old days the road was often 5-10 feet above the river.

Thanks for the post and pics - makes me want to go back to Colorado again soon.

Last time I was in Estes Park- about 3 years ago - there were at least a dozen elk in the city park. When we went to leave a few of them were standing about 5 feet in front of the car. My wife thought they were statues at first and was going to walk over next to one for a picture until it moved... I'll have to see if I can find any of the pics from that trip and post them up. It seems like a small herd of them like to hang out in town during hunting season as a refuge.
Last week when we drove from sun river over to the coast it reminded me of the drive up to Estes Park up the Thompson canyon back before they raised the roads in the 80s due to a dam failure up above Estes that flooded much of the town and did massive damage to many of the cabins along Thompson canyon. In the old days the road was often 5-10 feet above the river.

Thanks for the post and pics - makes me want to go back to Colorado again soon.

I grew up a few hours from Estes Park and can remember the floods. They were devastating at the time. I was surprised at all the cabins right along the river this past summer.

Back in college a bunch of us went through Yellowstone in the fall. At Mammoth, there were elk just as you describe. There was a big old bull buggling (sp??) his butt off just outside one of the buildings there. I was literally within 25 yards of him as I walked back to my ride. Pretty spectacular!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top