JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This might not be the best forum, looks like the muzzleloader discussion here is geared toward more primitive muzzleloaders, but I thought I would ask.
I received a new CVA Accura MR-X muzzleloader for christmas. I have shot primitive flint lock and percussion cap muzzleloaders a fair amount back in the 1980s as a teenager, but that was a long time ago. Any recommendations as a starting point for Elk load testing in this gun?

Requirements are for Oregon hunting:
loose powder
musket cap ignition
no plastic at all can be on the bullet what so ever (no plastic sabot, tip, or belted bottom, etc)

Trying to keep this focused - looking for recommendations from folks based on actual experience is possible, not from what others may have read about on threads elsewhere.

Thanks for any help and happy new year!
Cheers,
Shapp

Last Edited:
80 - 100 grains of 2F with a .45 "Maxi-Ball" bullet , lubed with T/C bore butter or a .50 caliber of the same , would do the the trick.
I have used these loads with rifles that I either own or have owned
That said....I hunt with very traditional round ball rifle.
Andy

Thanks Andy! would you recommend Tripple 7 or Pyrodex?
Cheers,
Shap

Also, just based on my research I am going to get the No Excusses bullet test pack for sizing and try a few of those as well.

Thanks Andy! would you recommend Tripple 7 or Pyrodex?
Cheers,
Shap
You are very welcome.

In my experience Triple 7 and PYRODEX are worthless...
At least in traditional style guns....

In any muzzle loader that I have shot or seen shot with them , be it modern or traditional ....
they are far and away , more corrosive than true black powder....I would never recommend either for any firearm.
Andy

Thanks Andy, do you have a good source recommendation for real black powder? I plan on swinging into the Gun Works in Springfield, OR next time I am down that way (where I grew up).

Last Edited:
The Gun Works may be a good bet....
GOEX is no longer produced...( Until the brand gets a buyer )
I got lucky at my gun shop and bought some Schuetzen Black Powder....that is still made and imported.
Andy

Thanks Bon, I don't really get over to the Tri-Cities unless I am traveling through in the summer to do work on the Kootneai River in north Idaho, or if I am traveling over to do a float trip on the lower Salmon River. Thanks for the offer though! I did acquire some Goex from an Oregon shop today.

My bad, I see they changed the regs.
No Sir, you are incorrect again. The regs have not been changed. Oregon still requires the cap to be exposed to the elements at all times, which is why CVA offers a NW compliant breech plug that has holes drilled around the outside so that the cap is visible and exposed to the weather at all times. The exact definition regarding the ignition source is below and has remained unchanged for many years.

"Open Ignition" is an ignition system where the percussion cap, frizzen, or flint is visible and exposed to the weather at all times and is not capable of being closed or covered by any piece of the weapon.

If you have some recommendations on loads based on in-field actual experience, by all means, please post them up. Otherwise, please lets keep the armchair comments and unrelated comments out of this discussion.

would you recommend Tripple 7 or Pyrodex?
Opinions vary on 'substitutes' and while I have never used Triple 7 I HAVE used Pyrodex for years with great results.

I actually got better accuracy in a couple rifles and found the report to be more of a sharper 'crack' than traditional BP and with regard to fouling I have not experienced it to be any worse than BP. The controversy about 'substitutes' will likely go on forever. I read many on a ML forum and they seem to be about half and half on for and against.

Last Edited:
Opinions vary on 'substitutes' and while I have never used Triple 7 I HAVE used Pyrodex for years with great results.

I actually got better accuracy in a couple rifles and found the report to be more of a sharper 'crack' than traditional BP and with regard to fouling I have not experienced it to be any worse than BP. The controversy about 'substitutes' will likely go on forever I read many on a ML forum and they seem to be about half and half on for and against.
For sure, just based on spending a couple hours reading threads on black powder, vs 777, vs Prodex there are a ton of personal preferences (really the only three available loose powder options that work with musket caps for Oregon hunting requirements). I also have obtained some 777 and will do some shooting with that and the Goex to dial in what works best for me. My impression is they all work and cleaning often and after each session is essential for all propellents. Regarding corrosion potential, there are a lot of varying experiences out there, which we don't need to re-hash here.

I have been shooting a 385gr Hornady Plains Bullet over 110gr FFg and a felt wad. It is very accurate in my rifle. I have killed three Elk in the last four years with this rifle and none have gone more than 15 yards. I recovered this bullet under the hide of a cow. I'm not trying to be argumentive but there are changes to the regs this year. I like your new rifle BTW now that I understand it.

Changes or additions are highlighted in yellow throughout the document.

• Archery elk hunting in 13 units and 3 subunits in eastern Oregon has changed from general season to controlled archery elk hunting only (see Elk Seasons).
  • Eastern Oregon and the Powers Unit controlled archery elk tags are not valid in general season areas. These tags are valid only in the unit(s) identified for each hunt (see Elk Seasons).
  • The Umatilla National Forest Cooperative Travel Management Area is in effect for parts of the Fossil, Heppner, Ukiah, Desolation, Mt. Emily, Walla Walla, and Wenaha units.
  • Muzzleloaders do not require an open ignition.
  • Keep your eye out for all the highlighted areas to find other new hunts, hunt name changes, and a few hunt number changes; Did you find the NEW Mt. Emily – Walla Walla Youth controlled bear hunt?

ML Bullet-1.JPG

Last Edited:
First off, I want to apologize to Joken, indeed an open ignition is no longer required for muzzleloaders under the 2022 ODFW big gam hunting regs for Oregon. But center fire (i.e., 209 primers) are still not allowed. I was looking at the 2021 regs as I still have an Elk tag to use (non muzzleloader) that is valid through March 2022 under the 2021 regs pamphlet and had not opened up the 2022 regs yet.

However, this change makes no difference in my initial question for this thread as we still can't use center fire primers, bullets with plastic parts, or pelletized powders.

Thanks for the recommendation for Hornady Great Plains bullets. I actually bought some of those to try as well, though I have read that some folks have trouble loading those into CVA optima/accura barrels, apparently they can have an overly tight fit. Haven't tried to load one yet in my barrel. What powder type are you using for those Joken, and what actual riffle model are you using?

The rule changes also brings up another issue. CVA only makes a musket cap breech plug for their Wolf/Optima/Accura series that is also open to the weather with the holes drilled around it. I plan on calling them tomorrow to see if they can start making these without the "weather holes" for those of us in Oregon that still can't use 209 primers, but can used a closed ignition.

Last Edited:
I shoot a no longer made Remington 700 inline .50 with a Lyman ghost ring sight. I have about 3 ibs of Goex FFg on hand and am always looking for more. I hope someone starts making it again. I killed an Elk at 165 yards with this rifle in 2020. That bullet starts with difficulty in my rifle but once the bullet is in the barrel it is much looser. I have been known to start a bullet on the nearest tree.

I've worked up a load using Thor Hammers, .50 cal, 247 grain, 777 FFG. No opportunity to try them on game yet, but I'm pleased with the accuracy. Hopefully there are others here who can speak to field use with these.

I bought 10 lbs. of Swiss #2 from Buffalo Arms Co. last month, and not sure if Baco has anymore left now? People grab BP quickly whenever it comes in these days. But you might contact Schuetzen Powder Co. as they get BP in more often than most others, and might have it, or be able to tell you when the next shipment will arrive. They have great prices, but you'll have to pay the hazmat fee also, so might want to order enough to last awhile as the fee is the same for one pound vs. 10 lbs.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top