JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
In Wa. State it is legal to use dogs to chase away any wildlife that interferes with your livestock or farming, ON YOUR LAND! You have the right to protect your crops and livestock from all wild animals that are not listed as endangered species. We use Anatolian Shepherds because they only chase what is perceived as a threat.They're a Turkish breed that is bred specifically for that purpose. That being said, if a bear,coyote, or raccoon is in your chicken pen you can kill it. On the other hand they really frown on shooting deer and elk without a tag. There is a process to get tags for deer and elk if they are damaging your crops. You have to show F&W the damage and they will assess the best way to stop it including special seasons and tags in your area to thin out the herds. I've not gone that far as I try to avoid any and all interaction with the state if possible.
Where I live the local herd is protected, and they know it. I've watched them get in my neighbors porch and toss furniture around just for fun. It's not uncommon to hear of them breaking big picture windows in homes when they feel like it and tall fences with barbed wire don't keep them out. You can stand in the middlenof the herd and shoot and they don't pay any attention to it. The tribe that claims them as theirs doesn't thin them they way they should be so the problem is out of control. Last season I counted 35 calfs plus one fawn (they adopt a fawn every year). They have decimated my garden too many times to count, but the grandkids love the garden so I continue feeding the damn elk. F&W will "reimburse" you for the damage, but you need to mark the offending elk with a paintball gun as well as provide proof. I do not want to have to go out and purchase a paintball gun to mark the elk and then sit up and wait for them to show up in the middle of the night/wee hours of the morning. I also suspect that you could potentially be charged with molesting the elk by shooting them with a paintball gun, even if that's what you were told do do by F&W.

There's an elk herd that I'm told uses part of my(soon to be purchased) property and I want an effective - non lethal - way to keep them off my plants. My uncle used to use bird bangers for crows in his fields, but I really would prefer something like a plant they despise the taste or smell of.

Putting a high enough fence around the plot won't work. Damn that's expensive! Putting in some forage they like isn't out of the question. I've got enough space that I can put them out in the corner of the property.
Almost got me excited until I saw non lethal. I know a few that would me more then happy to help you out, and fill the freezer at the same time.

Where I live the local herd is protected, and they know it. I've watched them get in my neighbors porch and toss furniture around just for fun. It's not uncommon to hear of them breaking big picture windows in homes when they feel like it and tall fences with barbed wire don't keep them out. You can stand in the middlenof the herd and shoot and they don't pay any attention to it. The tribe that claims them as theirs doesn't thin them they way they should be so the problem is out of control. Last season I counted 35 calfs plus one fawn (they adopt a fawn every year). They have decimated my garden too many times to count, but the grandkids love the garden so I continue feeding the damn elk. F&W will "reimburse" you for the damage, but you need to mark the offending elk with a paintball gun as well as provide proof. I do not want to have to go out and purchase a paintball gun to mark the elk and then sit up and wait for them to show up in the middle of the night/wee hours of the morning. I also suspect that you could potentially be charged with molesting the elk by shooting them with a paintball gun, even if that's what you were told do do by F&W.
rise.jpg

That does not work! I've tried that here and Portland to keep the antifa's out and it doesn't work. I think they wear it like patchouli oil
+1,
It won't work for Deer or Elk...
I urinate around my hunting grounds and stands, makes no difference...

I don't 💩 where I hunt mainly because I don't want to smell it or step in it...

I do know of a guy that claims to have harvested while dropping a load, he's never been proven to be a liar, yet...

+1,
It won't work for Deer or Elk...
I urinate around my hunting grounds and stands, makes no difference...

I don't 💩 where I hunt mainly because I don't want to smell it or step in it...

I do know of a guy that claims to have harvested while dropping a load, he's never been proven to be a liar, yet...
I hate posting on a 10-year old thread but the story demands to be told.

My dad killed the biggest buck of his life back in '82. Opening morning he was answering the call of nature when he heard (or more likely felt) the ground pounding made by a big buck stotting his way. No time to collect himself so he just fired from the squat.

4x3 with a 31" outside spread.

Taking your focus off your surroundings in the wilderness can be costly...

Alaska oil field a guy was Deer hunting on his off time, leaned his rifle against a tree in tight tree'd cozy area to do his business...

Hours after dark he's a no show...

A search party found his rifle against the tree, a little of his leaving's and his slip on rubber boots that appeared to lined up in the position of him letting it rip...

Speculation is while he was in his groaner position a bear hit him so hard it took him out of his boots...

He was confirmed dead by his clothing that was found during the tracking of the bear...

Twist strips of aluminum foil an inch or so wide around your electric fence and paint them with peanut butter. When they lick it you'll get their attention. Otherwise they just ignore the zap.....

We have 20 acres, also, south of Coos Bay. When the timber company on the ridge behind us logged years ago, a herd of elk invaded our property. They left ruts two feet deep and tore out one stretch of fence. I was told that if I put a board above our wire fence, they will respect it, but that probably means they will jump the fence some place else. I went to Fish & Wildlife, and they told me I needed to buy another 20 acres in order to get a land-owner's tag. I just kept replacing the fences and put up with the elk. When the replanted trees got munchable on the ridge, they quit invading my place. I have two acres of orchard and have deer and bear wandering through, and they never bothered the trees. This is not a guarantee in your case.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top