Elk Caliber comparison

Discussion in 'Northwest Hunting' started by Koda, Nov 24, 2016.

Tags:
  1. pharmseller

pharmseller
    Harrisburg

He ate good.

And we got him out whole!

My dad's biggest bull so far.

P

salmonriverjohn likes this.
  2. Cabo Chris

Cabo Chris
    Sequim, WA

My group has hunted elk in Washington and Moose in Alberta for years using the plain old 30-06/180gr. Deer, bear, elk, moose... no problem, even when using affordable factory Winchester 180 Power Points- a great do it all loading. A skilled shooter can use a 25-06, 270Win or similar, only in our experience they do not hit as hard as a 30 cal. Neither does 7MM. Reality... most of our shots are under 200 yards. 400+ yard shots? The 300 WM will do. Over the years as a rifle nut I've tried them all. With the correct bullet and shot placement my 243 WSSM dropped a cow elk way out yonder with 1 shot to the shoulder/80gr Tipped X at 3500fps. A 375 H&H will drop any relaxed elk/moose. A 338 WM with 210/225/250 NP really hits elk hard! But for general use it's tough to beat an 06.

3. DirectDrive

DirectDrive
    Vancouver, WA
    Silver Supporter Silver Supporter 2017 Volunteer

This ^^^

I've seen a .308 Winchester pile up on an elk's shoulder.
    I also heard that hunter say that he would never use his .308 on elk again.

So shot placement is extremely important when using a non bone-breaker cartridge when hunting elk.

4. mjbskwim

mjbskwim
    Salmon,Idaho

May have been a small elk but a 143gr 6.5 creedmore pile my elk with little trouble. Collapsed both lungs ,think it may have hit the liver or grazed it.
    But it went down.
    Like one guy said,'impossible if it wasn't a super ultra mag 40 something caliber' laughingly
    Shot placement

5. MrMillspecer

MrMillspecer
    Scappoose

You may not like it but I took my first elk with a .257 Roberts. I was 11-12. It went mabey 100 yards before it collapsed. Lungs shot. It ran towards the logging road so that was a bonus. And Grandpa had enough wiskey in him to brave the mud and ruts. :) I did get 3 shots off and the first shot I thought the scope was off. At around 60 yards i shot behind the shoulder hoping for heart or lungs and he just looked at me. Put another in the same spot and he ran. Shot again while it was running. Kids. Anyway we found 2 lung shots and one in the jaw. First shot would have done it but it was a loaner rifle and I thought the dam scope was off.

These days it's a 30/06 out of a mod.70. Grandpa's old gun and a treasure. Just like dad's 6mm.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017