Elk Caliber comparison

Discussion in 'Northwest Hunting' started by Koda, Nov 24, 2016.

Tags:
  1. 3MTA3

3MTA3
    DMZ between Liberty and Tyranny
    Behind Enemy Lines Bronze Supporter

I added some illustrations to my post that shows both rounds - it's pretty obvious when you look at them side by side that that looks to be the case.

Koda likes this.
  2. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki
    Sub Light Speed

DeadEye should be the grand master of the Swede for any tech you would ever need to know! For my part, I have always had great results using a 124 gr Spitzer and 140 gr round nose Norma PH line, both Bullets are hard to come by, but when needed, well worth the time and price.

3. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf
    SE Portland

Don't forget the 7x57 Mauser. Remember back in the day when all the writers would be talking about the best cartridge for this and that.. and they'd always give the 7mm Mauser a tip o the hat.

AndyinEverson and Ura-Ki like this.
  4. 3MTA3

3MTA3
    DMZ between Liberty and Tyranny
    Behind Enemy Lines Bronze Supporter

Both rounds are more than adequate for anything in North America that won't try to kill you back before they go down. Now I'm starting to jones for a 6.5x55. Thanks a lot.

USMC-03 and Ura-Ki like this.
  5. Oregonhunter5

Oregonhunter5
    2C IDAHO

Stick in the muds.
    Live a little.

6. Oregon Rob

Oregon Rob
    washington county

In my day I used my Red Ryder, carbine action, two-hundred shot range model air rifle! But then I shot my eye out;)

7. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki
    Sub Light Speed

So, go out and get three of um, then you can be cool, like me! I have a CG 63 and Re barreled 03 Springfield, and A Sweet Heart Husquvarna, ALL shoot lights out in 6.5X55 Swede!:D:D:D

3MTA3 likes this.
  8. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki
    Sub Light Speed

Ah........the good "Old" 7X57 Mauser!!! How I lust for a nice Sporster Mauser 98 with extra fancy Claro wood stock!

bsa1917hunter and AndyinEverson like this.
  9. bsa1917hunter

bsa1917hunter
    T.D

Awesome post man. I give you and your daughter both credit and big kudos... My youngest daughter (11) has started shooting with me and I think she's hooked. As for her shooting my 338wm, that will be quite a few years down the road. I love the cartridge and do shoot with it for practice, but not nearly as much as I shoot my 30-06 rifles. One thing about my 338wm is it's always ready to go elk hunting. It's always dialed in and spot on. It's probably the epitome of elk hunting rifles as far as I'm concerned. However, I started out on a 30-06 when I was 12 years old and I know how capable that cartridge is on big game. This year I decided to hunt my "new to me" sporterized m1917 (having grown up with a nearly identical rifle). Like I said, I love the 338 (it's in my Avatar), but the 30-06 just hits home more for me than anything else. I've seen guys come to their senses and make the full circle back to what they started out on. It also sounds like your daughter is hooked on shooting and hunting, keep up the good work sir.

10. Medic!

Medic!
    What just happened?
    Pain in the neck. Bronze Supporter

o_O

the-tac-sac-21196.jpg

11. bsa1917hunter

bsa1917hunter
    T.D

Shouldn't those be closer to the butt? Oh wait, I'll bet you don't like them hanging down by your chin when you pull the trigger...:p

12. osprey

osprey
    NW WA

It seems elk hunters are the worst of the bunch for being closed minded about caliber . Shooting a caliber that you shoot well and proper bullet selection are probably more important than the caliber itself. The grand old swede has a great reputation for a reason. The sectional density on the. 6.5 bullets is high allowing them to penetrate well. With todays bullet selection I believe many calibers not considered traditional elk calibers can be used to great affect. I personally hunt all my big game with rifles chambered between 6.5 and 7mm, with none of them being magnum. It doesn't mean I have disdain for those that choose a larger caliber, I just do not see the need in my situation.

13. salmonriverjohn

salmonriverjohn
    N.W Oregon coast, Gods country

@bsa1917hunter, thank you sir.
    Buddy, having daughters that hunt with you beats hunting for your daughters hands down, and your a lucky man to have one.

Those three ladies are local legends around here, they have been very successful for deer, elk and bear year after year.
    I honestly have no idea how many they have taken between them, but they've done their part.
    Keep up the good work dad!

Ura-Ki, MrMillspecer, 3MTA3 and 2 others like this.
  14. Oathkeeper1775

Oathkeeper1775
    Coast Range
    VINCE AUT MORIRE Bronze Supporter

.300WM.jpg
    The Ruger M77 African in 300WM looks like a good deal for around $940.00...

edit: Real Guns - The Ruger® M77® Hawkeye® African Rifle

Oh my Lord, I would love to have one of these...:p

edit 2: Some come equipped with a factory recoil compensator

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
    Ura-Ki and bbbass like this.
  15. pharmseller

pharmseller
    Harrisburg

IMG_0193.JPG

This was an interesting discussion...

Knockdown power is a myth - www.ifish.net

I'm a big fan of the 7mm-08 cartridge paired with a 140 grain Partition at 2870 fps muzzle velocity. Or, for my dad's rifle, a 140 Accubond. Very close, in fact, to the venerable 7x57.

I believe that placement is the most important variable, with bullet construction second. I believe that lighter recoiling rifles promote better accuracy, as they are easier to shoot. I believe that "knockdown power" is a myth, based largely on my own experience.

I also believe that my opinion is worth what you paid for it, but I've put two bulls in the freezer, one shot each, with the farthest recovery distance of about a foot and a half. That's out of 13 elk. Six with a .30-06, five with a .300 Weatherby Mag. Upon review, there's not a one of them I couldn't have killed with the Mighty -08. In 2015 my dad took a nice 5x5 at 225 yards, one shot behind the shoulder, the bull went 90 feet or so. Pic is above.

I filled my buck tag this year on a good mulie fork in a wide open alfalfa field, one shot through and through at 541 yards. I practice a lot, because I'm not getting beat up every time I squeeze the trigger. It works for me.

P

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
    Ura-Ki, bsa1917hunter, 3MTA3 and 4 others like this.
  16. No_Regerts

No_Regerts
    United States

Ever notice how people describe the 7mm-08 or 270 or even 243 as being "good for beginners and women"? I figured that any cartridge adequate for big game in the hands of less experienced or recoil sensitive shooters would be borderline overkill in the hands of someone who really knew what they were doing. That is why Ive always described the 243 as an "expert's cartridge".

Ura-Ki, Xaevian, 3MTA3 and 2 others like this.
  17. tac

tac
    UK, Oregon and Ontario.
    Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

Re: Osprey's POV and the 6.6x55SE.

Over here in Far Northern Europe, AKA Scandinavia, we have been shooting the Elg, a moose by any other name, but weighing up to 1400 lbs, with the little 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser.

Since 1896.

My own elg, taken back in 1990 on a cull, weighed just over 1100 pounds, but it was starving. A seventy-five metre shot with a beat-up m/38 carbine and open sights, shooting 140gr Norma stuff, did for him right where he stood. He dropped as though switched off - a merciful release instead of dying of starvation.

It's true that Swedes and Norwegians are now finding the joys of .30-06, 9.3x72/73 and 74 and other similar calibres, but for over a hundred years the meese did not seem to know that they were being killed by a 'not big enough' bullet.

tac

18. jbett98

jbett98
    NW Oregon
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

leisure-hobbies-hunters-blood_sport-shoots-shooters-hunt-09034200_low.jpg

Ura-Ki, AndyinEverson, 3MTA3 and 2 others like this.
  19. Medic!

Medic!
    What just happened?
    Pain in the neck. Bronze Supporter

''But he can't be a man. Because he doesn't smoke, the same cigarettes as me''! :s0022:

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
    Ura-Ki, AndyinEverson and bbbass like this.
  20. bbbass

bbbass
    La Grande