JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
First a caveat, of the three generations of Marines, still alive in my family, none use the .223/5.56 round and for short to medium range shots, we all use the DPMS Gen 1 pattern rifle, chambered in .308/7.62. That being said, over gassing is an issue. Some of this you may not need to do but will give you a better rifle. Use an adjustable gas block, Lap the upper, starting with 220 grit compound and finishing at 660 grit or finer, get a Nickel Boron coated BCG (Johnson bolt) that vents forward, Lantec makes an excellent one. Last but not least consider either a JP Enterprises or Armaspec captured spring recoil rod. I'm sure that someone on the forum that lives nearer you has a lapping tool for your upper that you can borrow and there has to be a video on Youtube that shows how to use one. If no one near you volunteers one, let me know and I'll get back mine from my grandson and send it over with instructions. I cannot speak to the best charging handle as I haven't used one since before your mother was born. As always if you take your time and use best practices, you will end up with a fine shootin iron, that will give you sub MOA @ 100 meters, if you want a tack driver @ 1000 meters, we need to have a different conversation.
Hope this helps, please be well.

Good point. I always use thick red wheel bearing grease on my CH. Never thought about it helping to seal from gas but it probably does help.

I also use an H2 buffer in all my builds.

Good advice guys. I also run the H2 (or spikes tactical st-2) in all of my builds, as well. They run flawlessly and smoothly. I think if someone had an extra upper laying around that they could try on Yvette's lower, that could help. Anyone have a spare H2 buffer to try as well? I dont know if ruger uses an h1 in their MPR rifles, but trying an H2 would be super easy. If i werent in Reno right now, id offer up some assistance. Sometimes trial and error is our best option.

I didn't notice where the casings were ejecting. I was using a catcher and it was centered at 3 o'clock. It did OK. The gas is an issue, but this is my first AR I've ever had and I think I'm going to just work through it. I need to work on being more consistent at the way I sit at the bench. Starting left working down.. by the time I get to the bottom I could see the gas through the scope. I let it rest for a little bit and it was better. I am thinking about getting a fan that will direct the gas away from me. I know this will not be my last AR, I just think it is probably good enough to do some learning with.

View attachment 604332
Seeing gas from the scope?

I'm thinking you might be referring to mirage instead? Or the heat from the barrel creating mirage in the line of sight. Nothing to do with gas from the gun.

There is a product that can be inserted into the magwell with a fan that cools the barrel between long strings of shooting to prevent or lesson mirage.

Seeing gas from the scope?

I'm thinking you might be referring to mirage instead? Or the heat from the barrel creating mirage in the line of sight. Nothing to do with gas from the gun.

There is a product that can be inserted into the magwell with a fan that cools the barrel between long strings of shooting to prevent or lesson mirage.

I don't think that it is a mirage, but I'm new to this too. I do have someone that has offered to take it apart and add the adjustable gas block and a linear compensator. I'm hoping that will be the fix. The gas is annoying but it doesn't effect the accuracy of the rifle. Heres a video you can see the gas and I'm pretty certain it is ejecting at 3:00

View attachment IMG_4313.mov

Last Edited:
That second video looks like muzzle gasses from the compensator on the end of the barrel. If this is the thing you has been bothering you, I wouldn't worry about the gas block at all. A linear muzzle brake will assist with that. Or a suppressor. Or cleaner ammo. Or a longer barrel. Shorter 16" barrels don't always burn all the propellant in the cartridge and get good gassy muzzle flashes. Looks like the ruger comp handles the flash, but you are getting a lot of muzzle gasses and smoke.

Noveske Pig is the same thing but much more pricy and you get the bling factor.

All muzzle gasses. Nothing coming from your gas block. No need to replace.

E66EA9E2-9591-4D25-AF7B-2B115F00CE22.jpeg A86EAC34-A760-48BE-9E48-45F9A6AC1C3E.jpeg 5686B27D-E1E7-4CB9-9556-67E73F4495A6.jpeg

I agree with reno again. I was wondering if that might be the issue. One of the reasons for my previous posts regarding using a different upper. In the back of my mind i was thinking i have the perfect upper for such a test:
The gas coming from a flash suppressor really bothers my eyes and ears, to the point its not enjoyable to shoot. One of the reasons all of my precision ar's dont have them.

Update: I sent my rifle back to Ruger for repair. It took about a month maybe 2 (felt like 6) to get back. I had previously myself and with the help of a neighbor tried to remove the floating handrail, to get to the gas block with no luck, and we were both bummed for the scuff/scratches we created trying. I was pleased that the hand rail was replaced so there are no longer any blemishes on my rail. Comparing pictures from before the gas block repair I noticed. not sure how it shoots won't be able to test it out for awhile. I appreciate everyone's advice to troubleshoot the issue. This website really has a great bunch of respectful helpful men and a few women and it is appreciated. 5E07A8A8-D094-485A-BE4A-E2EBB33F933B.png

Kudos to Ruger for treating you right. That goes a long way, right there. Im hoping the problem is gone now. If the gas from the muzzle device is still obnoxious, remember i have a linear comp ill give you. Heal up good, so you can get out there and try that rifle out..

Kudos to Ruger for treating you right. That goes a long way, right there. Im hoping the problem is gone now. If the gas from the muzzle device is still obnoxious, remember i have a linear comp ill give you. Heal up good, so you can get out there and try that rifle out..
I'm pretty excited. I spent a lot of time choosing what I wanted my first rifle to be. I'd like all my girls to be able to enjoy this one too. I will only have one other rifle, I just don't think I need 5 or 6 rifles. it will be forehen I make my transition to hunting and im leaning towards this one:

RISE Armament 1121XR Precision Rifle Specs
  • Caliber: 6.5 Creedmoor
  • Barrel: 22 inches; 416R Stainless Steel
  • Rifling: 1:8 inches
  • Handguard: 15-inch slim, M-Lok, with Picatinny top rail
  • Stock: Magpul PRS Adjustable, MOE Pistol Grip
  • Weight: 9.5 pounds
  • Overall Length: 41.75 inches

I'm pretty excited. I spent a lot of time choosing what I wanted my first rifle to be. I'd like all my girls to be able to enjoy this one too. I will only have one other rifle, I just don't think I need 5 or 6 rifles. it will be forehen I make my transition to hunting and im leaning towards this one:

RISE Armament 1121XR Precision Rifle Specs
  • Caliber: 6.5 Creedmoor
  • Barrel: 22 inches; 416R Stainless Steel
  • Rifling: 1:8 inches
  • Handguard: 15-inch slim, M-Lok, with Picatinny top rail
  • Stock: Magpul PRS Adjustable, MOE Pistol Grip
  • Weight: 9.5 pounds
  • Overall Length: 41.75 inches
Damn, that is pretty sweet. I'm wondering how it would shoot compared to my M&P 10 performance center 6.5 cm? That's a sweet rifle, but for $2,500.00, I'd expect it to be.:D

Without scope and ammo, ever try packing something like that?
Good point. I keep thinking I want to be conservative and I don't feel like I need to own 10 rifles but I want to set up targets, drive a mile and I want something that can hit that distance, for the excitement and the challenge. but I am also preparing to hunt this next season. Maybe I need a Tikka or two or three or four too.

Good point. I keep thinking I want to be conservative and I don't feel like I need to own 10 rifles but I want to set up targets, drive a mile and I want something that can hit that distance, for the excitement and the challenge. but I am also preparing to hunt this next season. Maybe I need a Tikka or two or three or four too.
Nothing wrong with owning a few tikkas. Start with something like a 243, 7mm 08, 6.5 creedmoor in a superlite model and practice with it. Id also start at 100 yards and focus on burning the center of the bulls eye out of the target, then proceed to longer range targets. With plans of hunting one of these days, practice a lot of field shooting positions. I know you dont have a lot of critter shooting under your belt, but i would suggest starting out on the small ones first. IE: sage rats, ground squirrels, jack rabbits etc. Having grown up in nevada, i am thankful i had the opportunity to hunt small critters first, before my big game hunting excursions. Find someone who can be a good mentor for you too. A well seasoned hunter that will take you under his/her wing is an invaluable and sometimes necessary piece of the puzzle. Good luck with it, and be safe out there.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews