JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Can I do anything to reduce or eliminate the gas that blows right back to my face after firing or should I choose a different rifle? Suggestions appreciated. Thanks
Ruger AR-556 MPR

Radian Raptor SD charging handle helps, a heavier buffer and spring combination will also "slow down" the cyclic rate and alleviate some of the "blow back" you are experiencing also.

You might experiment with different ammo as a start, then see about an adjustable gas block if you want to keep at it.

If you're unable to resolve it, you could love to a piston type rifle. Heavier, but the gas isn't pushed back into the chamber.

The slots are cut higher up the charging handle. You need to remove it from the rifle to see for sure. Looks like a Ruger branded Radian Raptor standard charging handle. Might not be an SD model with the gas vent holes in it.... but I don't know for sure without seeing the whole charging handle.

SD model looks like this. p_100023422_2.jpg

The slots are cut higher up the charging handle. You need to remove it from the rifle to see for sure. Looks like a Ruger branded Radian Raptor standard charging handle. Might not be an SD model with the gas vent holes in it.... but I don't know for sure without seeing the whole charging handle.

It does not have vents on it. I'll try changing that out and see if that helps. Thanks I appreciate your patience.

Last edited by a moderator:
We're all here to help, or learn.
I am mostly here to learn...
Please let us all know how the new charging handle works for you as I would like to know.
I have the same rifle as you and just accepted that I would have to deal with the gas.

I don't really know, but I suppose some ammunition will also burn cleaner than others and that might help as well.

Common fix I have learned from other shooters. Use Black Silicone sealant to seal around
end of the charging handle. Some uppers the gas blow back in your face is quite bad.
Differnt uppers have no issue with the gas blow back?? I have done the silicone sealant
on several uppers with great success.

Factory. I changed the charging handle because I kept breaking my nail every time I used it and the bolt carrier group to a fail zero because the original kept jamming. I don't know what the gas block even is. Is it the long cage that goes around the barrel..

It surrounds the barrel and the hole drilled into the barrel that allows a bit of gas to be redirected from the barrel into the gas tube and then into the bolt carrier, causing it to move to the rear.

@Yvette I know it seems daunting to ask questions but that is also the best way to learn about guns. Don't give up. If you can find someone to show you how things work, do so. At this stage I'd say 'you don't know what you don't know'. There are lots of good people out there who are more than willing to help and explain things.

Good luck and persevere

We're all here to help, or learn.
I am mostly here to learn...
Please let us all know how the new charging handle works for you as I would like to know.
I have the same rifle as you and just accepted that I would have to deal with the gas.

I don't really know, but I suppose some ammunition will also burn cleaner than others and that might help as well.
Common fix I have learned from other shooters. Use Black Silicone sealant to seal around
end of the charging handle. Some uppers the gas blow back in your face is quite bad.
Differnt uppers have no issue with the gas blow back?? I have done the silicone sealant
on several uppers with great success.

Interesting subject. Ive heard about the silicone fix. Thankfully none of my rifles ever needed it. I do run radian Raptors or griffin armament charging handles though. But that is only a small part of the equation. Like others said, maybe an adjustable gas block may be needed. I dont know what weight buffer Ruger uses from the factory, but if it were me, id probably pull everything apart and make sure everything is aligned perfectly and installed properly. Maybe even lube the buffer spring while i had it apart. I only say this because i recently bought a brand new factory $1,800.00 ar10 and upon inspection, found the barrel nut only hand tight. Yes, it had even been test fired from the factory and given the stamp of approval. Because of this, i dont trust factory rifles. Check them before you shoot them!!

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews