JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello,

I have an eligibility question related to getting my CHL in Oregon. I've read the laws regarding the mental health portion of eligibility but the way it's worded has me a little concerned I may not be able to get my license.

I am bi-polar, and at one point I admitted myself to the hospital due to severe depression. Since that time I have found medications that work great for me, and I've waited until now (i'm 25) to purchase a handgun because I wanted to be 100% confident that I was ready to own one responsibly. I've shot dozens of guns, grew up around them, am extremely responsible in regard to gun handling and safety- and my rights around firearms are very important to me. I have never presented even close to any symptoms or personality traits related to violence or aggression, and pass federal level background checks with ease (I was a licensed insurance agent for some time.) I just get depressed sometimes and on one occasion after some unfortunate life events back-to-back, I was depressed enough that I felt that I would be safest to check myself into a hospital for a bit just in case.

My understanding of this: "I have not been committed to the Department of Human Services under ORS426.130, nor have I been found mentally ill and am presently subject to an order prohibiting me from purchasing or possessing a firearm because of mental illness. If any of the previous conditions do apply to me, I have been granted relief or wish to petition for relief from the disability under ORS 166.274 or 166.293 or 18 USC 925 (c) or have had the records expunged." - is that i'm still eligible, because though I could be considered "mentally ill" I haven't ever been committed to a mental health facility against my will, nor ever been to court (other than for negotiating a speeding ticket) and I am not by any means a violent person. That "and" is what worries me.

Thank you in advance for reading, I greatly appreciate anyone who takes the time to consider my post and assist me in getting some clarification around my question and hopefully a bit of peace of mind.

at one point I admitted myself to the hospital due to severe depression. Since that time I have found medications that work great for me, and I've waited until now (i'm 25) to purchase a handgun because I wanted to be 100% confident that I was ready to own one responsibly. I've shot
Since then, when was then? I'd say that length of time would mean something. Still being on meds though might be a deal breaker.
My Bro is on meds and tells me he can't own a gun but I don't know if that's hearsay or what.

If what you say is true, and you have no court records declaring you're mentally ill, or records granting you legal "relief" from such findings then you should be fine getting through the background check to obtain your CHL.

Thanks for being conscientious of your situation... so few seem to be. ;)

Kuddo's to you for taking it seriously. That being said I dont think taking typical mood stabilizers is a disqualification. There is a difference between psychotic's and anti depressants. Being down is not a mental illness in the sense they are talking about when they say"mentally ill"
I think asking the question could open a can of worms as bureaucrats always make the safest call (which is always a no answer)

My personal feeling is if you are mentally fit to function in society, drive a car and have a job you should be able to exercise your 2nd amendment rights

Thank you very much for the replies. From what I got from the application I was mostly thinking the way @Stomper does. I greatly hope that is the case! It would really be a shame if I was denied on the basis of being responsible and proactive with my mental health and seeking help with it, and in the process leaving a paper trail that ruins my chances of being able to carry.

Thank you very much for the replies. From what I got from the application I was mostly thinking the way @Stomper does. I greatly hope that is the case! It would really be a shame if I was denied on the basis of being responsible and proactive with my mental health and seeking help with it, and in the process leaving a paper trail that ruins my chances of being able to carry.

Having taken antidepressants will not leave a paper trail and cause your disqualification. I have a buddy (NO it's not me:p) that had a bad stint for a little while in his life and was given ssri's to help get back on track. He owns a couple guns.

Probably better to ask for forgiveness then permission.:rolleyes:

If you don't feel your mental status is relevant to owning a gun then don't check any boxes indicating that.

Then just don't shoot someone in the back while in a movie theater on accident and you will be fine;).

Ain't that the truth. But whenever one overhears friends, family, or coworkers going: "see! this is why CHL is bad!" you must direct them to CONTEXT. Context is everything. In a country where 15 million people are walking around with a concealed handgun, these few instances of dangerous behavior or negligence is a statistical anomaly. Another tactic is holding them to their same rules. Example, "we don't judge all Muslims as bad simply because two insane ones shot up San Bernardino...So why are you painting all concealed carry as bad?"

I don't know for sure, but I would think that you would be disqualified if you were forcefully commited or you had some kind of interaction with the law over your mental illness.

I would contact a lawyer that works in firearms laws. Or you can contact your local Sheriffs dept.
But I would probably shy away from that.

Took months waiting for the by schedule only appointment, and three weeks after it, but as of today finally have my card in hand.

So there's the answer to that.

Be mindful of your illness.

If you ever feel yourself headed towards out of control (& hopefully you never will!), simply hand all your safes keys to a good friend. All of them.

You will get them back, when your better.

-Mind that it's been a long while since I've taken Psych, but with some illness, out of control can creep up. With others it can take a life event, or several small ones, and yet with others it's the sense that they are feeling fine & don't need there meds anymore...perhaps while self medicating with alcohol &/or illicit (perhaps even legal-marijuana) drugs.

Further, with others, no trigger is required, just simple physiology of the individual over time and meds. Losing weight/gaining weight, more active/less active, poor diet/better diet.

Just be mindful is all.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads