JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Sooo...

What's to prevent a manufacturer from making a rifle that has similar operation to an electronic paintball gun?

One that has minimal trigger pull and you could fire as fast as you could walk the trigger?

The only restriction I can think of is that it would not be allowed to have an auto-fire option...

Yes, I know, waste of ammo, and why would you want to do such a thing, but I was curious.

I have never bought into the concept that the weapon must hold all it's ammunition within itself. I also dislike the fact that the first shot has a very short barrel to travel out of, but the last round has the entirety of the barrel. This inconsistency just doesn't appeal to me.

I could see it being practical for unmanned sentrys, or perhaps large artillery or mortar pieces, but not traditional ammunition.

I do know that they have made some impressive sentry units for attacking large areas at once, that's what I am referring to. I just haven't had interest in the multiple shot small arms caliber weapons they produce. Interesting concept, though.

:s0155:That's "Artillery". No such thing as "artillery".

Sure.

ignoring the fact of multiple rounds and the barrel being the magazing, this is what you were talking about as far as electronically fired.

-Brian

Its quite an accomplishment, especially the lack of moving parts, don't get me wrong. It's technology that should most definitely not be ignored.

There is a Remington 700 that is electronic you have to buy special rounds that have electronic primers. They have different calibers like .308 and 30-06. It uses a battery that is built into the stock that ignites the primer. When you pull the trigger it is like pushing a button.

look at the remington etronix, same chamberings, cases, bullets, but electronic primers. Fell on its face after introduction, but still a great idea. A few of them are out there, but finding primers is a nightmare. The real claim to fame on these is the significant decrease in lock time, which is always a good thing.

Oh, I'm sure that makes it real accurate... :s0114:

Isn't the point to have less movement to increase accuracy? :cool:

-Brian

The trigger pull is practically touch based... and besides, in paintball you loose accuracy 50 feel out anyways :s0114:

I'm just wondering if such a system would be feasiable for a regular firearm.

It would be one of those systems that would render the 1982 (or was it 84?) law on fully automatic weapons obsolete...

(sigh) my question is not being understood.

look at the remington etronix, same chamberings, cases, bullets, but electronic primers. Fell on its face after introduction, but still a great idea. A few of them are out there, but finding primers is a nightmare. The real claim to fame on these is the significant decrease in lock time, which is always a good thing.

yeah etronix that is the same one i was talking about

Interesting question. Looked like a older timmy the kid has in the vid. On a semi auto marker like the one the kid has in the vid 14bps or 800+ rounds per min is easy. 1000+ is realistic in semi auto marker. I would think a blowback sear tripper with an electric trigger and firing pin would be most workable?

Getting rid of the EtronX parts is just as difficult! LOL

My Remington 700 EtronX in .243 had an "over current" condtion in the microprocesor in the stock of the barrel - made it unreliable to shoot. Sent it in to Remington and they refused to give it back because it was defective and they could not repair due to End Of Life for the parts.

If you know anyone looking to pick up some primers (1000primers and 40rnds of 90grn .243 ballistic tips)

I can see it now.... "the armed victim might have survived the attack if he had replaced the batteries in his firearm"

LOL! The rifle was actually quite nice - had an LED by the rear of the action - blink codes indicate when the batteries were low, a round was chambered, and if the safety was engaged or not.

I got it for competition shooting... unfortunately, I had to replace it with the Remington 700 XCR Tactical Long Range... :)

I think it totally makes sense for an assault rifle. The sear for the bolt would be electronically actuated. The trigger and trigger guard would be extended to two fingers, where you could "walk the trigger" by pulling the trigger alternately between your index and middle finger. You could also have "ramping" mode for police or military where after a certain shots per second, the processor automatically fires the rifle faster than the trigger is actually being pulled. I think an electronic sear in a pistol would be a no-no, it would be too easy for the gun to fire out of control due to recoil. Thoughts of that little kid shooting the full auto uzi and the recoil causing him to loose control and shoot himself in head comes to mind.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top