JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Does anyone have a recommendation for a device that does electronic target hit detection for longrange shooting I can use at Douglas Ridge Rifle Club (DRRC)? The club has some "rules" that make choosing a device to use a bit challenging. Additionally, standing in the pit and pulling targets when I could be shooting and getting recordable data doesn't really appeal to me, especially in the rain when I shoot alone. I'd much rather put an electronic system up and spend my time shooting.

So in that vein, I've found a couple systems:

1. ShotMarker - this system requires installing 4 base plates to the corners of target via wood screws so it's not going to be a good option. Unless I built a frame I could hang over the DRRC frames. Not sure how well that would go over with the powers that be at DRRC.

2. Longshot LR-3 - 2 Mile UHD - This system uses a single camera pointed at the target positioned 10-15 back from the target. The issue I think I may have a DRRC is their rule about nothing in front of the shooting berm. Kinda silly since no one should be shooting at the ground anyways but that the club rule.

Does anyone else have an electronic hit detection solution to get around some of the challenges of DRRC's long range rules and the Pros & Cons of these systems. Really appreciate the help!

TCGC 1st Sunday match uses shot marker scoring on targets. Love it no pit duty.
They also allow shooting from a bench.
1577458451292.png

This was the response I got on what electronic system would be acceptable/recommend for DRRC for anyone else who was interested:

I do not have a recommendation. We do have members who use cameras however they must be place below the top of the berms.
If others were to knock them over or____, it's on you.
I have shot on the shotmarker system at other ranges but they require that the bases be affixed to the target frames. Providing that you BRING YOUR OWN 6' x 6' frame (that fits into DRRC carriers) with the bases I don't see an issue. Do not affix anything to DRRC frames.
The choice is yours.

I did some reading on the ShotMarker and from what I gather it has be very stable on the frame it's installed or else it will through off readings.

I'm thinking the Longshot LR-3 - 2 Mile UHD might be a better option just wondering how much space there is between the pit/berm wall and the target as it needs 10-15'. Anyone happen to know the pit width? I can't really tell from this picture and may just have to go up there with a measuring tape.

P1000072.JPG

Much appreciated. I won't be able to make it out tomorrow. I need a hard copy of the longrange SOP. I think I just need to see how people are complying with the rule. Based of what the longrange director said in his email it sounds like cameras are supposed to be below the berm but if it's not and something happens "it's on you".

I just remember the longrange director saying during the longrange orientation if you wanted a copy of all he was covering he would email it out.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top