JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I use Peltor 6-S. They're slimmer than most non-electronic earmuffs so they don't deaden the noise quite as well but they don't get in the way as much when I'm snuggling my face down on a stock. I think they're rated at 19 db. I have very good hearing I want to keep so unless I'm shooting pistols I double up with ear-plugs and the muffs. I just turn the muffs all the way up and I have no problems having conversations or hearing range commands. They have come down so much in price I think the convenience is well worth it. That's my .02.

Howard Leight Impact Sport - I use them alone for shooting handguns and .223 outdoors and while running machinery. It's been a while since I did shotgun but I do remember putting in some foam ear plugs for good measure when shooting buckshot and slugs. I think they work great. Besides the noise cutoff for impulses they do a great job of clearly amplifying sound from twigs cracking to birds singing, stereo is great, nice to have the extra awareness when people are coming up directly behind me in the woods. They can be had for as much as $45. I recommended them to some friends who have sensitive ears and film pyrotechnics, go figure, and have heard nothing but good things. They use them in all kinds of weather too.

+1 for the Howard Leight Impact Sport. I'm very happy with mine and have shot everything from .22 to 30-06 without any problems. I'd recommend them to for the price and reliability.

I use the Peltors in the field, but like Alpha says, they're not quite good enough for range work, especially when shooting big boomers with muzzle brakes.

I also like the howard sports. I wanted decent electronic muffs without paying the price of peltors. So far they work very well. I have shot 12ga, .308, and 5.56 with them and they instantly cut out the loud sounds but makes quieter things sound like you aren't wearing anything at all so you don't have to pull off your ears to talk. You can crank up the volume too if you want superhuman hearing.

If you have a need for electronic hearing get the MSA Sordins. They are expensive but you will never have to replace them because they didn't fulfill your needs.

Why do you think you need electronic hearing pro?

Sometimes I also like to listen to my mp3 player while shooting.

Impact-Sports-mp3.jpg

I use them for everything from 22 shorts to 50bmg. I see no reason why i'd ever replace them, but if I do, i'd probably just get another pair of these.

just another vote for the Howard Leight impact sports. Ive had them for about 6 months & really enjoy them. I doubt they're the best, but they are a great value at under $50. I got mine through amazon.com.

I was really impressed with the first pair I tried in the 90's. But they were mad expensive last century, so I sort of forgot about them for that reason until I saw a generic pair for $13.99 at Harbor Freight last month. 2 AA batteries last like 250 hours or something! They're great, with an interesting twist.

I find big caliber pistols extra obnoxious indoors, so I double up with earplugs underneath the electromuffs. With the volume maxed, they actually amplify voices a little. So there's less of that irritating urge to uncover for BS with friends, and then scramble for plugs when somebody chambers one. I just stay corked. Loud bang? Double protection. Fourteen bucks.

I also use the Howard Leight Impact Sport, and i think they are the best of the "inexpensive" electronic ear muffs. I purchased mine locally for $60. Last year for Christmas, Santa brought my wife a Peltor Tactical-Pro set ($160 on Amazon.com). The difference is amazing. The Peltors are much quieter, have better amplified sound and are more comfortable. You won't regret buying the Howard Leights, but you also won't regret dropping the extra hundred bucks on the Peltors.
Jim Donahue

I also use the Howard Leight Impact Sport, and i think they are the best of the "inexpensive" electronic ear muffs. I purchased mine locally for $60. Last year for Christmas, Santa brought my wife a Peltor Tactical-Pro set ($160 on Amazon.com). The difference is amazing. The Peltors are much quieter, have better amplified sound and are more comfortable. You won't regret buying the Howard Leights, but you also won't regret dropping the extra hundred bucks on the Peltors.
Jim Donahue

Same as Jim, I upgraded from Howard Leight to Peltor Tac Pro. The thing that bugged me about the HLs was the ear cup fit. It just didn't seal well against my noggin (no comment). The Peltors have (optional) gel ear cups which seal tightly and are comfortable for long sessions.

caldwells are cheap and work good for shooting prone rifle, or any other rifle for that matter. I have had problems with other makes hitting the stock. I've had my caldwells for almost a year and no problems yet.

I've got to say, I too am a Big fan of the Howard Leights.
We use the Peltors at work, and I am not impressed with the peltor.
With the Howard Leights, you can shoot and still hear other people talking, which is Nice for range commands and such.
Both are nice, but my vote goes for the Howard Leights.

Stay Safe.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads