JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My vote is for the Howard Leight Impact Sport electronic muffs. I have had one pair for about two years and they've worked wonderfully. I just bought two more pairs for my wife and son. I prefer to use lightly seated earplugs under them for extra protection.

I had the peltor red ones (30 NRR Amazon.com: 3M 90561-80025T Tekk Protection Professional Hearing Protector: Home Improvement) they're pretty good, then switched to the pro ears gold tac 33 NRR Amazon.com: Pro Ears Tac Mag Gold NRR 33 Ear Muffs: Sports & Outdoors, and I always double with Amazon.com: Howard Leight MAX1 Earplugs Uncorded NRR33 Box/200 Count: Home Improvement underneath them, you can never have enough protection, and there's nothing to fix hearing once it's gone. My advice is spend as much as you can on good quality hearing protection.

I use Caldwells as well, I bought them at Wholesale Sports for ~$30. They work good. A friend of mine has the Howard Leights posted above, and they have a headphone jack in them, so you can listen to music if you wear them while working, so that is a nice feature that my Caldwells don't have.

Caldwells. Got some from Fisherman's anniversary sale. $24.99. Have only used them at speed steel matches with 22lr going off. Don't thin they would be good on the rifle range with 30.06 going off. only 23 NNR. Disposable ear foams are 29 NNR.

The auto gain system is really slow and does not recover well. But for $24.99 what do you expect

I have the thick and thin caldwells. They do help if you are trying to talk or give instruction at the range. The thinner ones do not suppress as well. I wear earplugs underneath if I am shooting larger rifles or pistols. I would buy again given the price.

Matt

Mikeli,snappy dan has a pair like urs,and he uses them at the little indoor range on IPSC night.It's plenty noisy in there and they seem to work just fine.I think they'd work for rifles as welll based on his assesment of them.

Howard Leight Impact Sport... I like the low profile. Helps when shooting a rifle prone, does not get pushed out of place or interfere with the stock. Good sound quality. Also like the fact they don't turn off the sound like an on/off switch like cheaper models I use. They just knock the amplitude of the noise down. I often wear ear plugs under them when shooting rifle inside the shooting shed. The Howard Leight Impact Sport seems to be the most popular model I see at Tri County by a pretty large factor.

I use either the MSA sordin Supreme Pro, or the Peltor Comtac II comms integrated ear muffs becuase I got both for free. But a buddy recently just got a set of the Howard Leight Impact Sports at the last gun show and I would say for the $250~$350 price difference, there really isn't too much difference. I was very impressed with the Impact Sports and if I ever need to buy a set of ear-pro, those will be what I buy.

Although on the spendy side, Peltor makes the best that I've used - and I've used HLs and several others covering the quality and price spectrum. The Peltor Tactical Pro has a noise reduction rating of 26 dB, but the electronic response is faster and they are extremely comfortable. At $250 a set, they're pretty spendy, but worth it to save your hearing. Great electronic amplification clarity for normal level communication.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top