JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The risk of electricity shortages is rising throughout the U.S. as traditional power plants are being retired more quickly than they can be replaced by renewable energy and battery storage. Power grids are feeling the strain as the U.S. makes a historic transition from conventional power plants fueled by coal and natural gas to cleaner forms of energy such as wind and solar power, and aging nuclear plants are slated for retirement in many parts of the country.

Interesting, at a time when they are forcing folks out of their gas rigs and telling everyone to buy an electric vehicle.
Yes, California Governor Newsom is already expressing regret about having a nuclear facility permanently shutdown in 2025. That plant/site generates 9% of the electricity for California. Got popcorn?...

California could make a man made bay and install hydroelectric generators using the tides as free energy. Hell so can any coastal state. If OR didn't have a ton of damable rivers we would be in the same boat as California.

Look at the bright side.. wait, never mind it will be dark without electricity.

I am looking forward to seeing the glowing cities from the flames of riots as brown outs and power outages happen, it sounds like we have the same catalyst that we did for the NYC 1977 power outage.

Under staffed law enforcement, divided country now all we need is a really hot summer then for the power to go out and no AC and folks will eat themselves.

I hope it will not happen but the natives are restless and this just adds fuel to the fire.

California and Texas both have had power issues in the past so this is not new but with more folks moving to Texas it does put a strain on them and with the fires in CA it is not good.

Only time will tell.

Look at the bright side.. wait, never mind it will be dark without electricity.

I am looking forward to seeing the glowing cities from the flames of riots as brown outs and power outages happen, it sounds like we have the same catalyst that we did for the NYC 1977 power outage.

Under staffed law enforcement, divided country now all we need is a really hot summer then for the power to go out and no AC and folks will eat themselves.

I hope it will not happen but the natives are restless and this just adds fuel to the fire.

California and Texas both have had power issues in the past so this is not new but with more folks moving to Texas it does put a strain on them and with the fires in CA it is not good.

Only time will tell.
On the plus side if it's hot those PV panels should be churning out lots of power. Now if we could only figure out why they don't work at night?

May 10th is the next update for reservoir levels, and this will have some impact on the PNW electricity generation via the dams. I don't think the PNW will have problems in this regard - we usually export at least some of that power south and north.

Okay so this is what results from bad planning coupled with unlimited growth. Bad planning has people pushing us into electric cars without consideration for the additional strain on the grid. New housing developments go in, again without increases in generating and transmission capability. Same thing with new industry. Cities want the job and tax revenues, but don't want to pay for improving the infrastructure. The grid will break under the strain.

On the plus side if it's hot those PV panels should be churning out lots of power. Now if we could only figure out why they don't work at night?
PV panels actually produce the highest voltage when it's cold. They're basically computer chips. Higher temperatures, lower voltage. So the best places for PV is cold, sunny locations.

Not so long ago, in a large country on the other side of the world, a very similar, and also poorly thought out experiment was tried with much fanfare and enthusiasm by some very important people who knew more than everyone else. They even gave it an extremely optimistic moniker, "The Great Leap Forward." Millions selflessly gave their lives in exchange for this wondrous opportunity.

I hope the power lasts long enough to cook an extra large batch of popcorn...

:s0093:

I think the idea to limit light pollution is the driving idea for all this expansion of EV and increase high density living.

Look at how little light pollution North Korea makes! Just imagine how beautiful the night sky is there...

</Sarcasm>

May 10th is the next update for reservoir levels, and this will have some impact on the PNW electricity generation via the dams. I don't think the PNW will have problems in this regard - we usually export at least some of that power south and north.
Better be a positive update the way they are releasing water out of them. The Santiam looks like it's at flood stage the last couple days.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top