JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It would have been nice if the article had mentioned that. The whole article was about "flat rate", which isn't metered use. It should have said "service charge" if that is what is at issue.
Yeah - I didn't pick up on that until after I read some comments about it on Redditt (after I posted it here).

Just goes to show that when small details with big impacts like that are left out (on purpose?), they have a large influence on the understanding of an event.

Still, it doesn't make it fair to charge more just because their income is higher.

BTW - I pay a $20 fee to use $5 of electricity in my shop, because PGE requires a separate account/meter for shops/outbuildings. I pay - IIRC - $12 for service to my residence, which uses $50-$250 per month (I have an electric furnace for heating, so winters I use a lot more electricity after the firewood runs out - this spring has been very wet and cold, so I am still using the furnace).

:s0153: Seems a more common sense/logical approach would be to make the residential "service fee" a percentage of the KWH/Therms used, with a "fee-less" realistic usage baseline, to ostensibly cover "low income" and "green" customers.

That would, of course, require commonsense and logic from politicians and their bureaucrats ….
…. so THAT'S not gonna happen. :s0092:

Last Edited:
BUT, But, but.......

1681250528783.png

Aloha, Mark

No surprise that the PUC votes that small microgrids are a monopoly that threatens and competes with the huge grid monopolies that serve the state. Heaven forbid that small communities should have their own power suppliers.

No surprise that the PUC votes that small microgrids are a monopoly that threatens and competes with the huge grid monopolies that serve the state. Heaven forbid that small communities should have their own power suppliers.
Yes and no. Having dealt with many solar companies, I'll say you're really not missing out on anything. Additionally, per the article, the microgrid would be a utility that would not have any oversight. The rate payer would be at the whims of a solar company. Having seen many solar companies rise and fall, I would agree with the committee on this.

California already allows, and has for as long as I've been practicing, the ability to be an independent power producer that sells to the utility.

One thing they don't say about electric, is that generally the wealthy own electric cars with the prices being what they are for them, and electric rates are inevitably going up as more demand takes place to charge those. Since supply remains what it is, the middle and low income families paying their electric bill are getting charged the difference.

One thing they don't say about electric, is that generally the wealthy own electric cars with the prices being what they are for them, and electric rates are inevitably going up as more demand takes place to charge those. Since supply remains what it is, the middle and low income families paying their electric bill are getting charged the difference.
Eat the rich!

Eat the rich!
I'm perfectly fine with people being "rich," it's the government taking my money and subsidizing others (poor, middle class, rich, businesses, corporations, foreign people and foreign governments, etc) that bothers me.

The issue isn't the existence of rich people, it's the existence of a government with a monopoly on 'lawful' use of violence and that will kill me for not paying taxes (see Walter Williams commentary on that if confused)

I'm perfectly fine with people being "rich," it's the government taking my money and subsidizing others (poor, middle class, rich, businesses, corporations, foreign people and foreign governments, etc) that bothers me.

The issue isn't the existence of rich people, it's the existence of a government with a monopoly on 'lawful' use of violence and that will kill me for not paying taxes (see Walter Williams commentary on that if confused)
To add to that...
I'm not jealous of the rich. I don't hate rich people. I hate that "Elites" have control of everything. People that don't know what it's like to have to wait for pay-day to pay bills, and/or save money for a camping trip/vacation.

My turn at imitating a broken record:
broken_record.png

NO income taxes on anything - verboten.
Flat sales tax on ALL consumption of goods and services.
NO exceptions, no minimums, no maximums, no subsidies, no deductions.
EVERYBODY (and every entity) pays regardless of income, income source, non-profit, etc.
Government must implement a budget without deficits and the only way it can borrow $ is by selling voluntary bonds.
No subsidies, including welfare.

Being the most cynical person here, I question most every thing governments do. Today's news that Great Britain is being flooded with 600k of immigrants has a real similarity to our border problems. You have to wonder how much more electricity will be used by the millions of migrants flooding our border? If our grid is struggling now then why increase the load with millions of migrants? Plus we are paying for their electricity.

If we had good government that worked on infrastructure we would have no power problems.

Last Edited:
Being the most cynical person here, I question most every thing governments do. Today's news that Great Britain is being flooded with 600k of immigrants has a real similarity to our border problems. You have to wonder how much more electricity will be used by the millions of migrants flooding our border? If our grid is struggling now then why increase the load with millions of migrants? Plus we are paying for their electricity.

If we had good government that worked on infrastructure we would have power problems.

Tens of Millions of migrants, the push for electric vehicles, shutting down of fossil fuel fired power generation, destruction of hydropower and a crumbling electrical infrastructure…

What could possibly go wrong…

To add to that...
I'm not jealous of the rich. I don't hate rich people. I hate that "Elites" have control of everything. People that don't know what it's like to have to wait for pay-day to pay bills, and/or save money for a camping trip/vacation.
When Russia attacked Ukraine, two of my children were parroting MSM and decrying the "oligarchs". I pointed out that those oligarchs would be called Billionaires over here, and worshiped.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top