JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If I had the electrician guy come out, and pull 220 over to my barn, can you plug a normal 110 device, into a 220 outlet?

No! 220v is phase to phase, while 120v is phase to neutral/ground. There are some motors that can operate on 120/240v, but their nameplate will say this. If your barn doesn't have electricity, then he would pull a 220v panel to the barn, and from there, you can run 120v circuits.

It's worth your while to pay an electrician the hundred bucks or so for a service call and let you know what's really needed. He'll check everything out and let you know your options. I'd feel pretty bad if I allowed my shop to burn down just because I was guessing about electrical requirements.

It's worth your while to pay an electrician the hundred bucks or so for a service call and let you know what's really needed. He'll check everything out and let you know your options. I'd feel pretty bad if I allowed my shop to burn down just because I was guessing about electrical requirements.

...or do your research and figure out how to do it right yourself.

You can, however, drop a leg out of of the 240v and run your 120v items at the box.

Yeah, that's what I'd do. Run 240v out to the barn, put a 240v plug or two or whatever you want, then branch a leg from the 240 to run a 20v from there, or at least have a break-out box or "spider box" that gives you 120v too.

If you run a 240v line out to the shop, make sure that it has four wires (extra will be white), instead of the normal 2 (black) plus bare ground. That way you aren't relying on the bare ground for your neutral leg.

A friend had overhead 12 Ga running about 100 ft to a shed.
He ran a 100 foot extension cord (probably 16 Ga), from the shed and
wondered why he kept burning up saws and compressors.

I explained ampacity and voltage drop but I think it went over his head.

I have a vertical 5hp 220 volt compressor that I hard wired with 10 Ga.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top