JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I had issues with Ted Blocker, though thay was quite a while ago when the man had health issues. I think these small firms, especially family run are very subject to personal events. It can be very hit or miss.

I had great luck with 5Shot when he was local, but like any decent one man shop, his backlog got too long and he also moved.

For stock stuff I go for Don Hume. I don't have a pressing need for custom stuff these days, but will probably check Ted Blocker, sounds like they're doing good.

I'll have to check out Don Hume I haven't heard of them before. Yeah Blocker was a great experience I went into their store and explained what I wanted and he built up a very fair price for a bunch of custom one off mods for me. He said 6-8 week backlog about two weeks ago.

While we're exchanging holster makers....
I think Ross Leather, if you can find what you need at Midway, is one of the true bargains in USA holsters.
I have a pancake for my full size 1911 and it's the shizzle.
Traditional saddlery type work, full sweat shield and lined !
M5wn Frwrd Cant Open Bottom Pancake Holster No Thmb Brk Bdy Shld - M5wn - Pancake Style - Concealment
Mine was $53 or so through Midway.
Now that is a nice looking holster at a great price point.

I'll have to check out Don Hume I haven't heard of them....

Don Hume is an old school duty holster company, like Tex Shoemaker or older Bianchi. They also make a variety of concealment stuff. Just decent holsters at decent prices. If I just need a holster to go with a gun I'm hardly going to carry, I just get a Don Hume. The Ross mentioned above is also a decent holster company.

Dealing with custom or semi custom holster makers was a disappointing enough experience in my youth I would just get a basic Bianchi pancake holster, thick leather and usually stitched right. Same thing with gunsmiths. Usually easier to just buy a different gun if one didn't suit me well and I couldn't fix it myself.

Finding a company that treats you well is worth something in my book

I have 12 Ted Blocker holsters and each and every one is a work of art, all have had several custom additions and all were very reasonable priced and delivered when promised! It's hard to find a good leather holster maker that can do custom work and These guys are the best!

I have two El Paso Threepersons holsters. One lined with pigskin, and one unlined. I have had them both quite awhile and I consider the work to be quite good. If you want pix, PM me.

By the way, they don't do much in the way of boning in their Threepersons and in some of their other offerings which are built to closely adhere to the original, century old designs. Boning is a fairly new practice in holster making that was not done a hundred years ago.

That being said, my Ted Blocker holsters are well made, I solved my major problem by buying a new gun that fit the holster.

I've never ordered anything from them, but their product looks good.
Traditional style leatherwork which I like.

However, if it's not too late to cancel the order, my first choice for what you want would be...
Guide's Choice™ Leather Chest Holster
The industry leader for this type of rig.

I just shot one of those airweight 44 Mags (in the pic above) on Saturday.
Holy crap....in a word.....punishing.
We also had a .500 S&W which was a pleasure to shoot in comparison.
The airweight 44 would be nice for woods carry/bear defense, though.
With a mad bear coming at you, you'd never feel the recoil.

Yeah - a 329PD is not a plinking or target gun. It is a self-defense gun that you carry when otherwise you wouldn't carry a heavier gun.

That is why I have one. I will carry my 329PD but I would not carry my 460V unless I was in the frozen north, and even then probably only if I was up near the ice where there are polar bears. I have a black bear gun (TR8), a brown bear gun (329PD), and a polar bear gun (460V), none of which will probably ever see actual use against a bear - but it is a great excuse to have them. :D

Yeah - a 329PD is not a plinking or target gun. It is a self-defense gun that you carry when otherwise you wouldn't carry a heavier gun.

That is why I have one. I will carry my 329PD but I would not carry my 460V unless I was in the frozen north, and even then probably only if I was up near the ice where there are polar bears. I have a black bear gun (TR8), a brown bear gun (329PD), and a polar bear gun (460V), none of which will probably ever see actual use against a bear - but it is a great excuse to have them. :D
Yep, it stings.
And loud ?
Forgot my ear pro on one round.....BIG mistake.
Not for the faint of heart.

I have several Wright Leather Works holsters that are well made, three Predator models and a cross draw. I also have a Diamond D Leather Alaska Hunter Hip Holster for my Redhawk .44, it's very nicely made. And a Mitch Rosen from ShopRuger for my LCR, it's nice too.

I have several Wright Leather Works holsters that are well made, three Predator models and a cross draw. I also have a Diamond D Leather Alaska Hunter Hip Holster for my Redhawk .44, it's very nicely made. And a Mitch Rosen from ShopRuger for my LCR, it's nice too.

How does that diamond D hip holster carry? It was one of my considerations a while back.

How does that diamond D hip holster carry? It was one of my considerations a while back.

It carries pretty nicely, as long as you have a good belt and cinch it up nice and snug. I wouldn't say it rides high, I would say it rides at a good height. It does not have a forward can't (if that matters to you) but it's not exactly designed as a concealed carry or quick draw holster anyhow. Where you slide the belt through on the back is wide, so depending on where your belt loops are located, it might not fit exactly where you would like it. The actual construction is robust, nice thick leather and well molded to my Redhawk, it doesn't really need a retention strap around the back of the hammer. But if you are on horseback, ATV, or simply going through the brush it's nice to know it isn't going anywhere.

I put a little blue loctite for the belt loop screws on the back.

The holster is really just part of the equation, the Ruger Redhawk (mine has the 4" barrel) is a pretty heavy firearm so it needs good support all the way around.

All in all, an excellent holster that I would recommend people take a look at.

It carries pretty nicely, as long as you have a good belt and cinch it up nice and snug. I wouldn't say it rides high, I would say it rides at a good height. It does not have a forward can't (if that matters to you) but it's not exactly designed as a concealed carry or quick draw holster anyhow. Where you slide the belt through on the back is wide, so depending on where your belt loops are located, it might not fit exactly where you would like it. The actual construction is robust, nice thick leather and well molded to my Redhawk, it doesn't really need a retention strap around the back of the hammer. But if you are on horseback, ATV, or simply going through the brush it's nice to know it isn't going anywhere.

I put a little blue loctite for the belt loop screws on the back.

The holster is really just part of the equation, the Ruger Redhawk (mine has the 4" barrel) is a pretty heavy firearm so it needs good support all the way around.

All in all, an excellent holster that I would recommend people take a look at.

That's great to hear. I'll keep them in the running next time I need nice leather. I think they offer a cross draw option for that as well. The Wyoming belt I've got coming from Ted blocker is crazy stiff.

My only experience with EPS was from a "custom" holster I ordered for a first gen Colt Woodsman. The holster was made for something I'm sure but it sure wasnt a first series woodsman with about an inch of slop in the bottom of the holster. I would never order from them again.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top