JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
...I would challenge you to find a place that has the water climate to thrive, and no population.
I think "thrive" is the key word here. Those places exist. They are not convenient when urban areas offer benefits. When those urban benefits are erased, the other more remote places will become more attractive.
I have many such areas inventoried and visit them frequently to note changes that occur. Nearly 35 years of visiting such places. I have a great familiarity with the options available.

I have flown under 10k feet at 150kts just about everywhere west of the mississippi day and night... Alot of this is why I have the opinions I do. Delevering a customers C-182 from independance KS back to seattle leaves you alot of time looking out the window. Heres what I have noticed. Cities are where they are because it was the best land available when the settlers showed up... Or its a tradeing post... The big black areas generally dont have water, or the altitude is such that the growing season is to short. Even when you get away from the cities there are houses freaking everywhere really everywhere, there isnt a hill left in the country that doesnt have a road or some kind of building on it. Take google earth and try to find something.... Really give it a shot. I would challenge you to find a place that has the water climate to thrive, and no population.

Luckily for me I have one as a refuge. A family homesteaded hunk of land in the Maurys, water, thermal springs, wildlife, and a road that can be closed off a just a few milliseconds......but best of all..an airstrip to collect the family through.

Well my hat's off to ya 'slinger....You're one of the first Pharmacy techs that I know of that want to live off of the land "like God intended" and think that the west is a desolate wasteland...

When I was a kid growin' up in the bush in Alaska we had a few chechakos show up every year that were gonna live off of the land (like God intended). Very few of them could...Good for you if you can...

Tellin' the forum that you'll be the only left after their pathetic preparations are expended is kind arrogant don't you think?

Some of us may have been raised in a lifestyle that prepares us for hardship.

My wife thinks you're a cute kid...Oh wait you've changed your avatar.

We're movin' back home in a month or so....We'll keep ya posted on our struggles.

Good luck if things get tough....

board certified PhT, yes...fortunately i don't work as one...desolate wasteland? really? you said it, not me...i never told anyone that their preparations were "pathetic", being prepared is key, how you prepare is even more important...i simply stated that i believe time would be better invested preparing mentally and physically, honing your skills to live sustainably off the land for the rest of your days rather than stockpile a years worth of rations and neglecting the FACT that that is not going to work as a long term solution...you grew up in the bush of AK? for that i believe you are lucky, i only had the privilege of learning my skill set in the mountains of the beautiful NW...when its all said and done, i hope i'm not the only one left, i would be lonely...living off the land is not a walk in the park, but in "end times" i think it would be the lesser of the two evils...please keep me posted on your future trials in the last American Frontier...thank you for the good luck wishes, to you i wish the same...and that joker avatar was creepy

Although there are still a few "unspoilt" places, most have changed considerably since my Grampa walked out here from Nebraska. The natives that inhabited this place before, had something that would take centuries to recreate. Heck..There aren't even any smelt left in the rivers around here. Oh well, there's still a lot of uses for dandelions and miners lettuce.

great smelt runs here, we go dipping all the time...

never tried to offend...just thought this was an open discussion where we could voice our opinions...i apologize if my thinking your preparations seem futile or "pathetic" makes you upset...and yes, some of us have lived in a manner that has prepared us for "hardship"... :)

'Slinger....I don't know where you smelt dip but the fishery is now listed as "endangered". There hasn't been any dippin' on the Lewis for while now (about six years) same with the Kalama and I believe the Elochaman. The Cowlitz , while still open last year produced no measurable catch.

The natives counted on this fishery for winter protein. They also extracted the oil to use in food preservation. I like 'em for bait. Too bad, so sad ..Another species bites the dust.

Everyone here is doin' the best that they can. One size doesn't fit all (hee hee) yet the folks here are at least taking steps.

Open forums like this are great places to exchange ideas and information. Tellin' folks that "someone" is gonna throw their "azzes" out of their RV and take their goods is the mindset of a raider.

It is my understanding that folks have a tendency to dispatch raiders the same as other vermin. Don't be vermin.

There are some knowledgeable folks here, you might be one. But as my dear ol' Ma used to say...."Critics don't create"

If someone feels more secure with a years worth of food, good for them. If someone wants 20,000 rounds of ammo, good for them too.
No one knows when their own personal emergency will arrive and they don't know how many others will be visited by the same disaster.

Just as a mudslide could eliminate one members supplies in an instant, another member may suffer serious brain trauma in the same scenario.. Fate decides.

Again...Good luck in the future....Remember the fable of the lion and the mouse.

W44

I guess I can agree with the author's point of view on a few items. But I also wonder what is gained from making things seem so hopeless? The author didn't offer any solutions or alternatives...just basically pointed out that everybody is doomed no matter what they think. Well, I for one don't think that mankind as a whole is doomed. There could be an event that wipes out most of us, but even then some of us would still survive. I want to do what it takes to increase my odds of being in that survivor group. If I don't make it, then I don't make it. At least I tried. Even the "survivors' will eventually die when their time comes. We are mortal. What is the point, I wonder in putting so much energy into the negativity of it all? I believe there is still value in prepping; even if you can't guarantee against every possible scenario. You could also get hit by a bus tomorrow, or die of a stroke next week, or die of cancer in a year....I don't see it as all that different. Life goes on, just follow your gut and do your best.

'Slinger....I don't know where you smelt dip but the fishery is now listed as "endangered". There hasn't been any dippin' on the Lewis for while now (about six years) same with the Kalama and I believe the Elochaman. The Cowlitz , while still open last year produced no measurable catch.

The natives counted on this fishery for winter protein. They also extracted the oil to use in food preservation. I like 'em for bait. Too bad, so sad ..Another species bites the dust.

Everyone here is doin' the best that they can. One size doesn't fit all (hee hee) yet the folks here are at least taking steps.

Open forums like this are great places to exchange ideas and information. Tellin' folks that "someone" is gonna throw their "azzes" out of their RV and take their goods is the mindset of a raider.

It is my understanding that folks have a tendency to dispatch raiders the same as other vermin. Don't be vermin.

There are some knowledgeable folks here, you might be one. But as my dear ol' Ma used to say...."Critics don't create"

If someone feels more secure with a years worth of food, good for them. If someone wants 20,000 rounds of ammo, good for them too.
No one knows when their own personal emergency will arrive and they don't know how many others will be visited by the same disaster.

Just as a mudslide could eliminate one members supplies in an instant, another member may suffer serious brain trauma in the same scenario.. Fate decides.

Again...Good luck in the future....Remember the fable of the lion and the mouse.

W44

bravo! :s0155:
i dig, w44...as i am not a raider, and like you, i see both sides have merit...i just hate to see people suffer the grand illusion that there wont be "raiders" or ill prepared people who are willing to take what they want from others by whatever means necessary...meaning, for example, that being stuck on the side of the road with your wife and kids in an RV with all of you hard earned, and well planned stores, is probably not a good place to be, and that on the side of said road, at a road block of some sort is the most likely place to run in to that sort of criminal. i simply was stating that i believe one would be better served to find a quiet place in the hills somewhere (dick proenneke)...it is a shame about our fisheries in general...i am merely a mouse with big ideas, my sincerest apologies

I think we would hop on our quads if it got so bad the traffic would stop us from getting to our bol. I could go around traffic and probably get enough spare gas strapped to them to get pretty far. I'm only about 30mins from deep woods and I live on the outskirts of city with no bridges or anything like that hindering the bug out. Plus I agree that if you walk by a bunch of people next to their cars you would be hijacked or followed. The quads would atleast allow us to fly by before they could decide what to do. Dirt bikes would be nice too but you can't haul as much. And if you made it to your bol with a couple quads and spare gas they could make useful later on.

If you paid any attention to Katrina I think you can agree a bug-in plan is probably not gonna work. First 'they' will take your guns and then others will take your supplies later on. If you had a groovy secretive underground shelter than good for you. But if not, you better plan to go deeeeep into the woods and setup away from all civilization. maybe go there now and burry some supplies in a drum or something. mark it on GPS. prepare to be unprepared

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top