JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Okay. So I have several form 4s, but I want to do some SBRs and SBSs. Anyway I put my information in, registered on the efile site and I can't log in. Is there a lag from creation of username and password to being able to use it?

There shouldn't be, but that site is so glitch prone it can take six or seven attempts to finish the 20 minute process. Sometimes coming back a different day it acts completely different. More or fewer errors, different errors, or no errors.

I'm guessing with potential economic abyss form 1s are very low priority. I have nothing to base this assumption on so take it as a grain of salt.

When I applied pre-covid19 it was pretty much 1 month. We'll see if the term pre-covid19 is a thing like pre-9/11.

I have tried 6 browsers, (firefox, chromium, ie, edge, chrome, and brave) 2 windows PC's. Do they work better on mac or android or linux?

Yikes. All but one of them I filed on various Winblows machines, with the exception being a Macbook. Browsers were generally Chrome, though I know I tried about every one available when having trouble uploading my trust paperwork. (It turned out the workaround for that didn't involve browser change.)

Are you able to get to the screen where you see the "Ask the Experts"? If so, you can submit a message for assistance.

OK. If we can help, we'll do our best. I feel your pain; the last time I eFormed a can, it was a royal pain. The ones before that were slightly quirky, but not bad. But that last one was ... a headache. :eek:

Well I want to file at least 5. Is it bad that I want to form 1 a Suppressor and SBS for the serial numbers? Bevewyvewykwiet & an SBs coach gun Imhuntingwabbits

Well I put in the application for my first SBR. Anywho, when you put in the serial on an AR lower, do you use a made up serial number you would engrave or the Serial on the piece. Because I may be ending up with the same SN engraved on here twice.

Well I put in the application for my first SBR. Anywho, when you put in the serial on an AR lower, do you use a made up serial number you would engrave or the Serial on the piece. Because I may be ending up with the same SN engraved on here twice.

The Form 1 instructions has details (emphasis added).

k. Description of Firearm and Markings. (1) Item 4a. If you are modifying an existing firearm, enter the name and location of the original manufacturer. If you are creating the firearm, enter the maker's name, city and state. (2) Item 4b. The types of NFA firearms are listed in the definitions; (3) Item 4c. Specify one caliber or gauge. If there is another designation, indicate the designation in item 4h. (4) Item 4d. Show the model designation (if known). (5) Item 4e and 4f. Specify one barrel length and overall length in items 4e and 4f as applicable. Note: if the firearm has a folding or collapsible stock, the overall measurement is to be made with the stock extended. (6) Item 4g. Do not alter or modify the serial number of an existing firearm . Enter the existing serial number or, if a new firearm, one you create. (7) Markings: The maker is required to mark the firearm with the maker's name, city and state as shown in item 3b. All markings are to be in compliance with 27 CFR 478.92 and 479.102

Okay been getting most of my info through looking at form 1 cans. Pardon my ignorance but does anything need to be engraved on the Lower with an SBR?

Yes, engrave the lower with the Form 1 applicant's name and city and state. There are ATF requirements for depth and size. For a lower that already had a serial number on it (Aero Precision, etc.) you don't add a second serial number. And definitely do not alter or remove the serial number on any gun.

My understanding, as is others I've asked, is that the engraving is only required when selling the SBR.
If someone "makes" an NFA firearm out of a Title 1 (non-NFA) firearm without engraving it to 0.003 inches in depth and at least 1/16" tall in a "conspicuous" manner then they have violated 27 CFR 479.102.

People getting into NFA should read the ATF's NFA handbook. Lots of misunderstandings out there in the gun world even with Title 1 guns, much less Title 2.

Last Edited:
Yes, engrave the lower with the Form 1 applicant's name and city and state. There are ATF requirements for depth and size. For a lower that already had a serial number on it (Aero Precision, etc.) you don't add a second serial number. And definitely do not alter or remove the serial number on any gun.
I thought so. And frankly, I knew something had to be engraved, so I shall fire up the old engraving machine and engrave it. Are there font requirements or can I use say, a font that I like that is say, modeled after medieval forms or even my own calligraphy? I have the tools to do this but do not want to run afoul of the BATFE. Btw I will likely go at least double required depth. Just to clarify it is highly legible.

Last Edited:
Did 2 today. Took maybe 3-5 minutes to complete each. I have used an iPad to submit virtually all my form 1 efiles. The site can lag here and there.

Best of luck getting them hammered out.

Ive done 10 in the last month. Really. They are running from 18 days to 30 days for a approval. Got one back Yesterday from the 10th of April.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top