JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
During my Army days I seem to recall the doctrine for the 1911A1 that we were issued was a 50-meter maximum effective range. Thinking about it though, I never had a problem hitting the 50-meter silhouette targets on the q-course with the ol' rattle in the slide issue 1911A1. I reckon an NM grade 1911 would do even better quite easily.

As with any round there will be a definite point where most energy is lost and it begins to drop rapidly but with large, heavy rounds it becomes more acute. While the .45 may be capable of less than say, no more than maybe a 10-12" holdover at a 100' its rate of descent will most likely be very fast after that, not unlike water shooting out of a hose where the head pressure will dictate the flow rate but soon after it drops like a duck taking a full load of #6.

I've shot my HK usp full size and my Springfield range officer out to 500 yards or so... lots of fun. I'm not saying I could make first round hits anywhere near that range, but the bullet will get there and I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of it. We routinely shoot pistols out as far as we can see bullet impacts, not so much to prove anything, mainly it's a lot of fun and does quite a bit for close range accuracy improvement.