JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I got my dillon 650 dialed in last night and loaded up 7 tester rounds for my 45. I shot them this morning at a stump in my pond while watering the horses before work. I held high about like I would with my 9mm and shot over the stump. So I held at the top of the stump and hit the top of the stump. The other five shots I put in the stump right at water level and the group was maybe a foot if that. I wasnt even aiming, I was just pointing it at the stump. I was really impressed with this. Its gotta be right around 100 yards and down hill... It got me wondering what the effective range is on the 45acp? Particularly the standard 1911...

I tried my 1911 and my 10mm glock at 159+- (range findered,if that's a word)
The 1911 was almost minute of badguy and the G20 would hit a man easily.
But that doesn't speak of their effective range.Most charts don't give ballistics past 50 yards for most pistol calibers except 44mag and such.
Iraqveteran8888,of You Tube fame, does a test with a 22 and a 1/2" thick pine board.
Apparently the pentagon says that if a cartridge can shoot though this board,then it's lethal. At any distance. They shot the 22 through at 300 yards,I believe.
Anyway,a guy could test this at the range with a 45acp and report back to us.

It's really not that hard to hit 100 yard targets with handgun that already shoots accurately providing they are reasonably sized and you can see them. It takes a little practice but you will eventually get some consistency. Last summer I was shooting with some friends and they had hung half of a 5 gal LP tank for a gong at a 100 yards and quite frankly it was no real challenge with my 1991-A1.

I know of a couple guys (my self included) that shoot clay birds & tin cans at 100-150 with pistols on a regular basis. "IF I HAD TO", I believe I could dispatch a threat at that range.

I figured someone would say they were waiting for me to do it,lol
I've done some with a 22 but I will be getting a BIG board to test the 45 with.
I think a 2'X4" board will suffice my abilities at 100 yards.I think my Sig 1911 would do the clay targets easily at 100 yards

in the right hands

I've shot my .45 at 110 paces (not quite yards, may be a little long, may be a little short) and actually had far less "hold-over" than I previously imagined. My .41 mag would hit the target with less delay between pulling the trigger and seeing the bullet's impact, but notby much. Hitting targets at that distance was easier than I thought!

Shooting a 230 grain JHP at 850 fps.

Hold over for 1000 yards is about 333 feet high. When the bullet finaly arrives it should still have about 98 ft lbs of energy and be moving 434 fps.

:s0112: