JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I will likely be hiking and fishing in rattle snake county this summer in the John Day Middle Fork area. i was planning on carrying a Ruger Single Six with "shot shells". Does anybody have any idea of the effective range of the 22 mag shot shell? The other "bulky" alternative would be a Savage 22 mag/20 Guage or 20 guage pump. I am unable to find 38 or 357 shot shells. Any ideas on this circumstance.

I always take with me my Airedale and Standard Schnauzer with me on my trips into the "woods" in Eastern Oregon, but this is a different country. I think I am wise to leave them home on this trip. Am I correct? Thanks for reading my post and your thoughts provided.

I've never tries .22 shot shells but have shot several rattlers with .38 shot shells and the effective range of those is 4-5'. I can't even imagine how close you have to be with .22 shot.

Well if you reload you can buy the CCI shot shell plastic "bullets" and load your own much cheaper than factory stuff. They use #12 shot in the factory stuff and it doesn't carry far. I load them with #9 - less pellets but larger and more "mass" per unit.

.45 LC snakeshot loads for me. Have had experience with snakes in areas east of the Cascades in Oregon when I was a kid and I will never go armed with less than .45 with a shot load. Just my personal preference after being chased by 2 snakes on different occasions and no I did not provoke them.

If you actually get the opportunity to shoot at a snake then this means the snake has/is retreating and you are going after it. AND if you really feel the need to kill it use something other than snake shot as you are more likely to wound it than kill it. Sorry but I get tired of all the irrational fears about animals and the need to carry 'something' to protect oneself from them. In my 35 + years of hiking, hunting, fishing etc in the woods the most dangerous thing I ever encountered has been dogs off a leash (twice) and both times it was a good thing the owner was nearby. As far as actual animal threats I consider dogs #1 on the list, at least in the PNW.

Both incidents happened on the Deschutes River, one at Tumalo and one at what is now the bottom of Lake Billy Chinook in the late 50'-early 60's. Both time I was wading the river fishing and both times the snakes came directly at me with their mouths open. One my dad shot at with his old High Standard double nine .22 but missed because the snake was moving too much. And both of them were definitely rattlers. For some reason animals like to attack me. Been bitten by dogs four times when I was younger, the first one when I was 3 months old in my baby carriage being pushed down the sidewalk by my mother. I have never really trusted dogs every since I can remember. I wouldn't hesitate to shoot a threatening one although I do my best to avoid any encounters with dogs..

22 shot loads are really designed for rats and other small varmints at really close range. the shot are so small they really aren't effective for anything else.
38 /357 snake and small bird shot would be much better. If you have to go where they are and can't avoid them something like the Judge with .410 shells would be the best medicine and the easiest carried.
That being said carry and use a walking stick with a short fork in the end of it for moving them away, wear snake leggings and avoid cover where snakes are likely to be, such as rocky outcrops and thick brush where they will lay up on hot days to stay cool. If it is pretty cool they will be sunning themselves to bring their cold blood up to operating temps. Use your eyes and ears and not just bumble along like you are walking on a sidewalk in the city. I personally am one who believes a dead Rattler is a Good rattler and will make good snakes of them every chance I get especially around populated areas where someone can encounter them by surprise. Especially small children.

As for dogs find a hunting dog club or trainer in your area and see if you can connect when they are having a "Snake Breaking" session or know of one, and enroll your dogs in that.
It will be traumatic for you and, for the dog in particular because the treatment is painful for them, but once done it's like a small pox inoculation you don't need it ever again.
Depending on the person/s putting it on they will have defanged rattlesnakes that they will put out and you will take your dog on a long lead without paying any attention to the snake other than making your dog "accidentally" run into it, you have to be nonchalant about it . The dog will be wearing a shock collar that works like a low level Tazer about 10,000 volts DC put out by a 9 volt battery and as soon as the dog gets too close to the snake the trainer will shock the crap out of him, I've seen dogs do a complete back flip from this, usually you will drag the dog back at least once or twice more so that the lessen is really driven home. As I said one treatment is enough the dog will NOT forget. I speak from experience. However the dog will not avoid a dead snake. If your dog is deaf leave him at home!
They associate with the sounds the snake makes hissing and the buzz of their rattles. Even something that just sounds like a snake will make them detour, again from my own experience.
If I remember it will run you about $25 to $50 per dog unless they give you a break for the second dog, it all depends on the trainer doing the breaking. It may be higher now it's been years since we had field dogs.
It's cheap insurance for a good friend!

Forget you ever heard that name these are not the droids you are looking for. LOL
Gabby

Last Edited:
Don't bring the dog. He will get bit.

Use a five foot walking stick. Or even an improvise stick will work. Move the brush out in front of you. And keep calm dealing with a snake.

I always run into them in rocky areas. And I don't like the idea of peppering myself with BB ricochets.

I like my eye's.

Last Edited:
That's mean.

Poor devils don't even have eyelids! :s0002:

Nor tear ducts and they won't feel it anyway the covering of the eyes of a snake are a modified scale impervious to nearly everything. Chances are all you are going to do is get yourself bitten. Use the stick and club it to death for Pete's sake poor thing would like nothing better than to hang a fang in your fanny.

Not really they would much rather be left alone to sun themselves on a warm rock and hunt up a nocturnal mouse or 2, the problem is their eyesight isn't the greatest, remember the modified scale, that is all scratched up and gets worse by the time they get around to molting their skin, so they won't see you until you are about to step on them because they are so well camouflaged so they end up being a danger to man and beast and consequently high on the list of many including myself to eradicate the nasty things!
Isn't that the longest sentence ever. LOL
Gabby

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews