JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
But since you already legally transferred ownership without the background check, as it was after 3 days, the BGC becomes essentially irrelevant, under current law. Thus the transfer occurs before 12/8/22.
I don't think so. An FFL can complete the transfer after 72-hours, but if the background check comes back denied you get a visit from the ATF and they take the firearm. That's how it happens now.

I don't think so. An FFL can complete the transfer after 72-hours, but if the background check comes back denied you get a visit from the ATF and they take the firearm. That's how it happens now.
I'd imagine that would occur if you were a prohibited person. But the transfer would have already occurred. The person who received the firearm would have been a perjurer. The problem here is that you perjured yourself and would be guilty of multiple crimes in this scenario. The transfer would have occurred though. I think the liability here is what has held people up from utilizing the 3 day rule previously.

It seems like the transferor should cancel the background so it frees up the queue.
I would be surprised if this was technically possible. The entire premise is that it becomes the responsibility of law enforcement to recover the firearms from the transferee if they fail the BGC. If the transfer is completed, they wouldn't cancel the BGC on account of the queue being too long.

Let's not kidd ourselves. While I applaud them for releasing guns to those who we know will pass they have been creating BS fees for years, taking advantage of everyone going in there for a transfer and charging absolutely ridiculous prices for guns & ammo.
How much skin do you have in the game? Of course they are only releasing to CHL holders in 72 hours. They are smart to limit their exposure. You know damn well if just 1 gun from this bullbubblegum ends up used in a crime J&B will get dragged in to the bubblegum show. And prices are prices. Pay or don't. You have options.

I would be surprised if this was technically possible. The entire premise is that it becomes the responsibility of law enforcement to recover the firearms from the transferee if they fail the BGC. If the transfer is completed, they wouldn't cancel the BGC on account of the queue being too long.
There might be plenty of other reasons to cancel a background check, can it be done?

Can the FFL cancel the background check request after the firearms are released?
I do not believe we can cancel after a firearm has been released. Any time we have called in to cancel a BGC the OSP operator has always asked our reason for cancelling and we need to provide one - it's usually customer no longer wants firearm, or in some cases we will no longer transfer the firearm to them. I'm pretty sure if we told them we had already transferred the firearm and just wanted them to stop looking that would raise some serious eyebrows.

Pr-Thanksgiving Update:

The last few days have been pure madness.
Thank you to everyone for all the kind words and support, it's gladly received in this stressful time period.
I'd also like to thank everyone who's come by the shop for their patience while we try to assist everyone as quickly as we're able to.
Transfers and inventory are definitely taking longer to get checked in - and I know sometime it's been after close before we're able to call everything out, same goes with replying to emails and voicemails or answering calls if we're able to.

I've received more than a few calls and emails from other shop owners asking about the 3 day rule and it appears more and more are starting to adopt the same policy, a trend which I'm hoping will continue.

I'd post more, but frankly I'm wiped out and need to relax/unwind before the Holiday tomorrow, because right after that it's back to selling guns at 10am on Friday!

Have a great Thanksgiving everyone!

- James

I sure hope Northwest Armory gets on board with this.

I strongly believe it's up to FFL's to lead the "Pro 2A" charge at this point. Don't just talk the talk, walk the walk. Good for you, J&B. You'll get my business in the future. The shops that won't step up to the plate for Oregonians, won't.

I do not believe we can cancel after a firearm has been released. Any time we have called in to cancel a BGC the OSP operator has always asked our reason for cancelling and we need to provide one - it's usually customer no longer wants firearm, or in some cases we will no longer transfer the firearm to them. I'm pretty sure if we told them we had already transferred the firearm and just wanted them to stop looking that would raise some serious eyebrows.

Pr-Thanksgiving Update:

The last few days have been pure madness.
Thank you to everyone for all the kind words and support, it's gladly received in this stressful time period.
I'd also like to thank everyone who's come by the shop for their patience while we try to assist everyone as quickly as we're able to.
Transfers and inventory are definitely taking longer to get checked in - and I know sometime it's been after close before we're able to call everything out, same goes with replying to emails and voicemails or answering calls if we're able to.

I've received more than a few calls and emails from other shop owners asking about the 3 day rule and it appears more and more are starting to adopt the same policy, a trend which I'm hoping will continue.

I'd post more, but frankly I'm wiped out and need to relax/unwind before the Holiday tomorrow, because right after that it's back to selling guns at 10am on Friday!

Have a great Thanksgiving everyone!

- James
Are you doing private transfers again?

So few gun stores have the courage and integrity to follow the law, fearing reprisal from ATF. I'm heartened to see that integrity has not died in the whole industry. Thank you for leading by example, and not choosing to live on your knees.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top