JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hypothetical situation - lets take the '3 day' rule out of the equation.

I wonder how many BGCs are mistakenly passed - and then later discovered they should have been denied?

I mean it's possible isn't it? High numbers of BGCs, low staffing and jumping through the hoops to get them done could no doubt result in more than a few mistakes.

Meh, criminals are just going to criminal anyway. If they can't pass a background they'll just go the criminal pipeline. Since...'criminals'

Meh, criminals are just going to criminal anyway. If they can't pass a background they'll just go the criminal pipeline.
I suspect most do not anyway, specifically those who KNOW they will not pass a BGC, however I suspect there are a lot of people who are unaware of certain things in their past (or current) that will cause a denial.

I put my Winchester rifle on consignment late summer 2022. It sold in October 2022. The buyer has been on pending/hold status at OSP since. Dealer won't release funds (+$600), give me my gun back or cancel deal w buyer. He says he has sold to buyer before with no problems. Told me he has 100+ guns he can't release due to OSP. I asked how long I will have to wait? He had no answer. Do I have any options?

I put my Winchester rifle on consignment late summer 2022. It sold in October 2022. The buyer has been on pending/hold status at OSP since. Dealer won't release funds (+$600), give me my gun back or cancel deal w buyer. He says he has sold to buyer before with no problems. Told me he has 100+ guns he can't release due to OSP. I asked how long I will have to wait? He had no answer. Do I have any options?
Which FFL is this?

Coat of Arms
That is very disappointing to hear. They are legally allowed to release the firearms on a no response release. They are also legally allowed to cancel the background check and could return money to buyer and return the firearm to you but you would need to do a background check to get your firearm back. I have done a few transfers there in the past but will no longer do any there until they resolve this issue with those customers whose firearms are being held. I wonder if they have all of the funds to return to the customers.

I would like to see Coat of Arms address this publicly to assuage fears others will now have.

Last Edited:
Any recourse would depend entirely on your consignment agreement/contract. IE., Was if for a fixed term, what constitutes a completed sale, your termination rights and possible fees you are liable for, etc.

Just at face value of the info provided it sounds like you're getting the run around. In the first case, the purchaser would have had to have initiated a new BGC every 30 days. So what... 3 or 4 BCG's by now(?)

In the second case, the buyer may have had a denial and has been attempting to go through the appeals process.

At any rate though, the sale has not been completed and it would seem that a reputable FFL confident in his long time customer would take a "good business" approach. Simply pay you what you are owed and assume the risk himself.

I would be extremely skeptical of the FFL's claim that he has 100+ firearms stuck in limbo for months on end. That would be a red flag for me that the FFL is being much less than honest and I would be looking into the contract to see if I have any right to terminate, retake possession of the firearm and go elsewhere.

If what you are saying is the whole story, my skeptical mind would be considering the possibility that the sale was already fully completed long ago but the FFL found himself in a cash flow bind and is simply playing you off as long as he can. I'm not saying he is, but I would certainly be entertaining that possibility.

There have been times in the past were what was posted as an issue turned out to not be the full picture, either intentionally or the member that posted just not being fully in the loop. Hearing all sides is important
Coat of Arms could share their side of the story. Have others got no response releases from them? If so under what circumstances?

Somthun don't sniff right here!
Coat of Arms is a highly respected FFL in Salem/Keiser, and this most certainly dosn't sound like them at all!
C.o.A. is one of the lead plantiffs in one of the BM-114 cases ( Not sure which) and has likely wracked up some serious legal fees ( Not saying this has any bearing) BUT, OSP may be dragging their feet because this FFL has stood up to the State!

I don't think we're getting the whole picture here, the OP isn't being 100% honest with the forum!

Has any other member had any sort of delays elsewhere recently, are we seeing a return to the Coof like OSP Slo-Walk mayhaps?

There is not much short of lawyers or wait you can do at this point. This is another glaring example of what I have been warning people about for a LONG time though. Anyone who wants to use and FFL needs to find out BEFORE hand what the policy is of that FFL. I see this a lot with people who order something and pay up front, use an FFL for transfer, or consignment like this. Often see people ask here how the "law works" on this. Often tell them there is the "law" and then there is the policy of the FFL. The time to find out how the FFL does things is BEFORE you get in a situation like this. I do hope this is just a snag and you get your money soon. To everyone else reading this? Don't let this happen to you. ASK BEFORE you start something like this.

I stated the facts of my rifle issue. When I posted a review on the Better Business Bureau site, I immediately got a call from owner threatening me being sued for Slander. Hence my reluctance to name the FFL. He has my rifle. He sold it in 2022. He stated the rifle is no longer mine. The buyer wants the rifle and is willing to wait on OSP. The contract, sadly, contains no timeframes, no conditions stated, other than the percentage the shop will retain once gun is sold. I had no idea a well known shop would be iffy to deal with. I have no problem paying for myself to go through the background check to get my rifle back, but was told not an option as the rifle is no longer mine. The owner told me he has 100 guns he can't release, I didn't dream that up. I am guessing if there are 100 guns that sold for at least $200, there is $200,000 in sales sitting there. My rifle sold for at least 3x that, although the final sale amount has not been disclosed to me but my minimum was met. He would not disclose buyer name to me. I asked how long must I reasonably wait? Two years? Three? Five? He had no response.
I had no place to turn to see if this is the issue all sellers/buyers are going through that are neither approved nor denied but placed in pending/delayed at OSP, which is just under 12,000 buyers statewide, per OSP's website. Are we all waiting years?

I stated the facts of my rifle issue. When I posted a review on the Better Business Bureau site, I immediately got a call from owner threatening me being sued for Slander. Hence my reluctance to name the FFL. He has my rifle. He sold it in 2022. He stated the rifle is no longer mine. The buyer wants the rifle and is willing to wait on OSP. The contract, sadly, contains no timeframes, no conditions stated, other than the percentage the shop will retain once gun is sold. I had no idea a well known shop would be iffy to deal with. I have no problem paying for myself to go through the background check to get my rifle back, but was told not an option as the rifle is no longer mine. The owner told me he has 100 guns he can't release, I didn't dream that up. I am guessing if there are 100 guns that sold for at least $200, there is $200,000 in sales sitting there. My rifle sold for at least 3x that, although the final sale amount has not been disclosed to me but my minimum was met. He would not disclose buyer name to me. I asked how long must I reasonably wait? Two years? Three? Five? He had no response.
I had no place to turn to see if this is the issue all sellers/buyers are going through that are neither approved nor denied but placed in pending/delayed at OSP, which is just under 12,000 buyers statewide, per OSP's website. Are we all waiting years?
Lets break this down here so we're all on the same page!
You consigned a rifle to C.o.A Yes?
C.o.A. has a buyer who has filled out a 4473 for this rifle and paid his money, Yes?
The Buyer is on indefinite hold because OSP is slo-walking again, Yes,?
Your pissed that the rifle is "Sold" as in attached by a 4473 to another person, and your awaiting final dispensation, Yes?
Your pissed that you haven't been paid after the firearm was "Sold" but has yet to be transferred, Yes?

If all of the above is true, then here is the deal, so pay attention here!
Your Rifle is no longer "YOURS" it is now pending through the OSP via the 4437 which contains all of that persons info I.E the Buyer!
You cannot purchase it back while there is an active 4473 open on that firearm
You will not be paid what you are owed until the firearm clears OSP, that should have been 'splained to you by the FFL ( it probably was, knowing them) it is NOT the FFL's money until the "Hold" has cleared, neither is it yours, so for you to get paid and made whole, the FFL would have to eat the amount paid, how long do you think they can remain open with 100+ firearms on hold, if they had to pay the sellers for each one awaiting OSP clearance! Again, those funds are tied up same as the firearms!

So, this should explain what's likely going on with this situation, I'm sorry things are not going as you had wished, i'm sorry the OSP are a bunch of bubbleguming bubblegum, bubblegumers ( Phucking Arsehole Commi Batsturd muddaphuckas what they are , incase you were unable to translate the previous Bubbleguming bubblegum) and i'm sorry your expecting C.o.A. to eat the full amount owed to you!

Interesting how Coat of Arms responded with threat of lawsuit in this BBB complaint.

Didja catch the last part?

We are not able to respond in detail at this time, other than to say that the complainant has been unwilling to return calls in an attempt to communicate. The complainant has also used social media as a platform to recruit and influence other third-party individuals unrelated to this complaint or this company to leave fraudulent reviews on ******* Yelp, and other platforms. We are currently exploring litigation options for defamation. On advice of counsel, we will not be able to comment further while litigation is pending.

Sounds like someone got their panties in a twist, likely misstating facts and is all butthurt that they didn't get instant satisfaction, so they are doing naughty stuff to "Get Back At" COA who likely has and keeps records of all coms with customers awaiting services!

Didja catch the last part?

We are not able to respond in detail at this time, other than to say that the complainant has been unwilling to return calls in an attempt to communicate. The complainant has also used social media as a platform to recruit and influence other third-party individuals unrelated to this complaint or this company to leave fraudulent reviews on ******* Yelp, and other platforms. We are currently exploring litigation options for defamation. On advice of counsel, we will not be able to comment further while litigation is pending.
How many gun shops sue their customers?

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top