JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Public Service Announcement.

Unless an injunction is granted and covers this portion of Measure 114 you'd better stay on top of what the status is of any firearms you have at FFL and try your best to pick them up before Dec 8th.

"
c) The dealer may not transfer the firearm unless the dealer receives a unique approval number from the department...."

Tips:

If your FFL is releasing under 3 Business Day rule and it's been more than a week I would stop by. Calling will likely result in a response such as "If you haven't been called it's not ready for release yet"

Somebody may have told you to check back on blankity blank day but that has likely changed because the shops have been overwhelmed. Viruses are making the rounds again and that is leaving some shops short handed.

If you get a call that a firearm has arrived, get down to the shop asap to fill out form 4473. You might have more firearms coming and would like to wait to save on transfer fees. Don't wait it's better to pay a little more in fees and get some of your firearms than trying to save on fees and have them all stuck in Measure 114 purgatory.

Same advice as above if you get a call that a firearm is ready for release, go get it asap. You might be tempted to wait if you have other firearms there at shop. Don't wait.

Before you order something online and have it shipped to an FFL, make sure they are still accepting new incoming firearms for transfer.

Make sure your ID has current address and you have cash for transfer fees (if that is what your FFL requires for payment).

Sure the delivery company may have delivered your firearm to the FFL but that doesn't mean they are ready for you to come in and fill out the 4473. Wait for them to call you and then add an hour or two before you come down.

Last Edited:
That is very disappointing as the transferee I communicated with said he was told by ACA when he initiated the transfer that they would be releasing under 3 day rule. I imagine ACA will retain loyal customers just as Bimart has but I won't blame those who don't go back.
I've done MANY transfers with them and was told no, say the least I was disappointed, but from their point of view I guess I get it.

This coming weekend should be bonkers for FFLs. But I think Dec 7th is going to be busiest day ever for FFLs releasing under three day rule.

Many smaller FFLs are going to be limiting the amount people in their shops at any one time. I saw many people freezing their rears off last weekend. Dress warm because you will likely be waiting in a line and potentially outside.

Buying a lotto ticket today since I miraculously had an instant approval this morning.

Not sure what happened but I still have a pending BCG from a week and a half ago... Hopefully if anything this would warrant a 3-day release if there's no update nearing the 8th... 🤞

Addressed to all of our customers, Oregon gun owners, our fellow Oregon FFLs, and to firearms enthusiasts everywhere:

By now you are most likely aware that at 12am on Dec 8th the Oregon State Police will be requiring permits for firearms purchasing due to Measure 114. There have been numerous questions surrounding what will happen next. As of now on the FICS website there are currently ~ 4,100 purchasers in the CHL queue, and ~19,200 in the normal queue. Additionally we have over 50 clients who have been in a Delayed background check status indefinitely, 5 of which are still from 2020.

With queue numbers rapidly increasing daily as more and more Oregonians attempt to acquire firearms before their rights are restricted for the foreseeable future, by Dec 7th at 11:59pm we estimate that upwards of 30,000+ purchasers will be stuck in limbo with no way to take possession of their purchases.

This has created a situation where both businesses and customers are stuck in a no-win scenario. What happens to the hundreds of thousands of dollars spent in tied up purchases across the state? Will customers have their hard earned money tied up in pending sales indefinitely until a permitting system is in place? Will dealers have to refund significant earnings on inventory they can no longer sell and face even further financial issues than this bill will already cause? Many hold out hope for injunctions, lawsuits, stays, etc. Well hope is not a plan. Forced into a corner with an uncertain future we are enacting a nuclear option:

Effective immediately we will be releasing all firearms with pending background checks under the 3 day rule listed in [18 U.S.C. 922(t); 27 CFR 478.102(a)(2)].

This means that if 3 full business days have elapsed since we submitted your background check you are good to come in and pick up your firearm. Please note that it must be 3 full business days - this means if you submitted a check on Monday that went into the queue, after Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday have elapsed you may pick up your firearm on Friday.

Given that Dec 8th falls on a Thursday that means the last day we can submit your background check and still guarantee delivery by end of day on Dec 7th would be Thursday Dec 1st.

For those not in the queue and in a Delayed status please note NICS checks are only valid for 30 days, which means you will need to come into the shop for us to fill out a new 4473 to get you back into the queue.

We will of course work through our backlog of pending background checks to call and notify all of our customers as quickly as we can, but in the meantime please spread the word as much as possible on any platform you have access to.

We also invite and encourage all other Oregon FFLs to join us in adopting this policy. If this State wants to take us down we believe we should go out with a bang, not a whimper. After years of indefinite delays, cancellations, and now this assault on our rights & livelihoods it is time to stand together and tell the State and the FICS Unit enough is enough.

Faithfully and sincerely,

- J&B Firearm Sales Inc.
"
Given that Dec 8th falls on a Thursday that means the last day we can submit your background check and still guarantee delivery by end of day on Dec 7th would be Thursday Dec 1st."

My understanding is that business days are based on the days the State offices (in our case Oregon State Patrol) are open and doing background checks. Can you layout the schedule of how you arrived at Dec 1st being last day to do background checks for a no response release on Dec 7th? It seems like Dec 3rd might be the last day?

Edit: I filled out a form 4473 and was entered into the system on Saturday. The FFL said I could pick up the firearms on Wednesday.

Saturday (doesn't count)
Sunday (Day 1)
Monday (Day 2)
Tuesday (Day 3)
Wed (free to pick up firearms)

2 more days may not seem like much more time but that could mean an FFL might make 100+ more firearms available for their new owners to pick up by Dec 7th.

Last Edited:
If I was running an FFL shop right now. I would seriously consider opening my shop for long hours on Dec 7th and closing the shop on Dec 8th to get a day of rest and figure out what to tell customers beginning Dec 9th.

I would also continue doing shipped in transfers up until Dec 7th. I would guess that well over half the transfers I observed this past Friday and Saturday were instant approvals. If that trend holds up through the 7th, that's a lot more firearms that could be moved through the shop. That would mean mo money.

I would be up front with customers that the chances are 50/50 they won't be instantly approved. I would inform them up front that the firearms(s) may be stuck at the shop for a lengthy period of time.

The alternatives are not great if the customer's firearms have already arrived at the shop.

Buying a lotto ticket today since I miraculously had an instant approval this morning.

Not sure what happened but I still have a pending BCG from a week and a half ago... Hopefully if anything this would warrant a 3-day release if there's no update nearing the 8th... 🤞
I presume both from the same shop?

I would sure like to see a live picture of the staff at OSP headquarters where they're doing these BGCs! I picture a team of frazzled people, empty coffee cups, fast food wrappers, soda/water cans, bottles and cups.
Gotta wonder what those at OSP think of the current commie leaders?

I presume both from the same shop?

I would sure like to see a live picture of the staff at OSP headquarters where they're doing these BGCs! I picture a team of frazzled people, empty coffee cups, fast food wrappers, soda/water cans, bottles and cups.
Gotta wonder what those at OSP think of the current commie leaders?
That's not what I picture. Business as usual, chit chat and BS'ing at the same pace as always (paid hoursly not by volume) and getting the giggles watching the backlog grow... while taking office bets on where it will top out.

As I'm sure most members on this site have Noticed all Democrat run states are little by little are having their rights stolen this measure 114 is pure communism .

Where the Heck is the NRA in all of this. MIA as usual .

That's not what I picture. Business as usual, chit chat and BS'ing at the same pace as always (paid hoursly not by volume) and getting the giggles watching the backlog grow... while taking office bets on where it will top out.
I like to think the Oregon State Police still work for the people of the state. The small, home FFLs, and those that have reason to have contact with the BGC State Police employees, have said they are some hard working, dedicated, friendly people doing a job for Oregonians. I would wager a number of those at the OSP think the dims ARE a bunch of, near criminal, HUMPS too.

Yeah, picture the DMV if the public wasn't allowed inside, and that's what you get.
Where the Heck is the NRA in all of this. MIA as usual .
The NRA is a joke and a relic.
The FPC has been quite vocal about their support but hasn't filed anything yet.
Apparently NSSF is getting involved, but also has yet to file anything.
GOA and SAF also haven't filed anything yet, but I don't know how outspoken they've been, either.

Only OFF has filed anything yet.

I understand the need to prepare well and "do it proper," but time is of the essence, and the big national groups haven't done anything to stand up for us yet, while the clock is running down.

Pathetic.

Looks like Tigard Pawn is going to keep on intiating transfers of shipped in packages to the very end. If you have one or more firearms there, keep your phone handy and when you get the call, make time to get there asap. They had extra bodies helping with intakes today. I only put in a few hours today but saw a pretty good number of firearms leave with their new owners.

Bruh, Tigard Pawn was best in class with their fees before.
They deserve a fat hurrah for continuing to work this hard until the end, especially since I doubt they're raking in much of a profit on it.
And huge kudos to J&B for leading this charge.
I'm glad someone with both the *means* and the *willingness* stepped up to bat for us. We need more leaders in the local 2A community.

Looks like Tigard Pawn is going to keep on intiating transfers of shipped in packages to the very end. If you have one or more firearms there, keep your phone handy and when you get the call, make time to get there asap. They had extra bodies helping with intakes today. I only put in a few hours today but saw a pretty good number of firearms leave with their new owners.
You are there helping them out?

You are there helping them out?
Sporadically. I have a full time job so I get in when I can. I am going to take a PTO day from my regular job so I can help them from open to close on Dec 7th. That is going to be a day for the history books, if we don't get an injunction before then? My wife has her family staying over this weekend so I will probably spend a good part of Friday and Saturday helping out at the pawn shop too. It will be a good excuse to stay out of the house.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top