JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My interpretation of the ruling is that it would be extremely wise for Sheriffs to treat applications for licenses from citizens (WA, ID, CA) as if they are acting under "Shall Issue". Residents in these states now have a big hammer to use on OR sheriffs that refuse to issue licenses.

Oregon Sheriffs are not authorized to issue licenses to applicants from non-adjacent states. So, lets say you live in IOWA and want to get a license. You now have a big hammer handed to you by the Supreme Court to sue OR and completely wipe out the law and make OR a constitutional carry state (until the point in time at which the legislature could have an emergency session and make a newly revised law).
Well, some OR Sheriffs have already been doing that for some time. I changed the address and renewed my OR CHL without any problem. In fact, the process was quicker that what OR residents had reported in different counties. Called for an appoint about noon and walked out with permit in hand by 9:30 the following morning. Nowhere else has been that easy and quick.

There are two remedies for two different classes people.

Class 1: Citizens who live in states directly adjacent to Oregon are legally allowed to apply to sheriffs inside of Oregon, who "may" issue a license to them according to state law. The remedy for these citiens is to apply, and if it the sheriff declines to issue, then file a lawsuit to force them to issue a license.

Class 2: Citizens who live in states which are not contiguous to Oregon. Their remedy is to apply, at which point the sheriff will reply "I am not authorized to accept applications from residents of your state". Then the next step of the citizen is file a lawsuit to throw the entire Oregon state law out on the basis that it does not allow them to apply to the sheriff for a license. The end result is that the state legislature will have to either accept constitutional carry or write a new law that allows citizens from non-contiguous states to to have some way of applying for a license (or put in a reciprocity clause) Either way, the citizen from the non-contiguous state has to have SOME remedy, as their currently is none. Open carry isn't an option for the entire state due to local ordinances.

Exactly my point, by my reading of the decision, there has to be SOME remedy for out of state citizens. As it currently stands there is no path for an out of state citizen to legally exercise their second amendment rights in the state of Oregon, which the Supreme Court just said was an absolute nono.

Hell it is so bad that in Portland I literally have no legal right to carry ANYTHING for self defense, not a gun, not a knife, not even pepper spray, lest I risk harming a violent career criminal one of the democrat's voters.

Actually, one could now STRONGLY argue that a citizen's 2A rights don't end at their state of residency's borders, any less than their 1A , 5a, and 14A rights do…. if you can legally own and/or posses a firearm, you have the right to carry it in all public places from sea to shining sea.
Precisely, Heller established the Second Amendment as an individual right (which we all already knew), McDonald established that the Second Amendment applied to the states under the Fourteenth Amendment, and Bruen, citing both Heller and Mcdonald by name, established that the Second Amendment provides a right to carry outside the home. So if Bruen says that the Second Amendment provides a right to carry and that denying a citizen a carry license was a violation of the Fourteenth Amendment under McDonald than logically it would follow that Oregon would either have to have reciprocity with all 50 states, issue permits to citizens of all 50 states, allow permitless Open Carry to citizens of all 50 states (or atleast states other than itself and the states it currently recognizes concealed carry licenses from), or be constitutional carry. Bruen (unfortunately) does not say the state cannot require a license to carry (but left that door open), but did say that they must actually issue that license, so since the Second Amendment applies to all 50 states under the Fourteenth Amendment than logically Oregon must issue licenses to all 50 states, or allow permitless carry, either concealed or open, I see no other way under Bruen.

Precisely, Heller established the Second Amendment as an individual right (which we all already knew), McDonald established that the Second Amendment applied to the states under the Fourteenth Amendment, and Bruen, citing both Heller and Mcdonald by name, established that the Second Amendment provides a right to carry outside the home. So if Bruen says that the Second Amendment provides a right to carry and that denying a citizen a carry license was a violation of the Fourteenth Amendment under McDonald than logically it would follow that Oregon would either have to have reciprocity with all 50 states, issue permits to citizens of all 50 states, allow permitless Open Carry to citizens of all 50 states (or atleast states other than itself and the states it currently recognizes concealed carry licenses from), or be constitutional carry. Bruen (unfortunately) does not say the state cannot require a license to carry (but left that door open), but did say that they must actually issue that license, so since the Second Amendment applies to all 50 states under the Fourteenth Amendment than logically Oregon must issue licenses to all 50 states, or allow permitless carry, either concealed or open, I see no other way under Bruen.
Give ol' Alan Gottleib and SAF a little time to crack that block…. It's coming!

Because in some States and/or Cities......it's like............

1656267193776.png

Aloha, Mark

Because in some States and/or Cities......it's like............

View attachment 1229425

Aloha, Mark
Interesting observation of mine: Belarus is considered to be the last remaining "Communist" state of the former Soviet Union, which is unchanged from the time the USSR dissolved. From what I have read there are few restrictions on gun ownership and usage within the country. I was surprised to discover this. I was also surprised to see that the country is quite beautiful and well maintained. I have one friend from Russia who describes himself as an ardent "Communist'. Yet, when he became a US citizen decades ago he voted for Conservative Republicans. To this day he calls himself a "Communist". He refers to Democrats as being "Nazis".

What does all this mean? It shows that words and labels have completely different meanings across the world.

Prediction: No more bi
Interesting observation of mine: Belarus is considered to be the last remaining "Communist" state of the former Soviet Union, which is unchanged from the time the USSR dissolved. From what I have read there are few restrictions on gun ownership and usage within the country. I was surprised to discover this. I was also surprised to see that the country is quite beautiful and well maintained. I have one friend from Russia who describes himself as an ardent "Communist'. Yet, when he became a US citizen decades ago he voted for Conservative Republicans. To this day he calls himself a "Communist". He refers to Democrats as being "Nazis".

What does all this mean? It shows that words and labels have completely different meanings across the world.
Interestingly, I have a close friend from Germany who describes herself as "anarcho-Commie" but says if for some reason she found herself here in the States and having to stay and build a life here she'd be so MAGA pro-Trump as to make many here look like Cornynite limpwrists--she and a few of her friends actually joked about setting up a troll group "Euro Commies For Trump," for three main reasons:
1. Mental fitness
2. Most adherent to "letter of the contract" of national chartering docs
3. Kamala Harris is just flat EVIL, and they find the idea of her being One Heartbeat Away terrifying

This is incorrect, each state is its own authority on who they will issue permits to, the states legislature is who decides this, and unless you sue Oregon and Win, that's not changing! While Oregon is indeed a shall issue state, nobody can force them to recognize any other states issuing authority.
I disagree. Now that carry outside the home is a recognized right (which it has not been up to now), i think that out of state residents have an equal protection claim against Oregon, and against every other state that dues not have reciprocity.

I disagree. Now that carry outside the home is a recognized right (which it has not been up to now), i think that out of state residents have an equal protection claim against Oregon, and against every other state that dues not have reciprocity.
Once again, that's a case your going to have to take before the district courts, because you will NOT get Oregon to change, and Oregon has every right to set it's own policies on who they will issue permits to, currently I believe it's certain wash residents ONLY and under May issue with Just Cause! Don't blame the messenger, Oregon has and often flaunts its Preemption status, but only when it's convenient! Yes, I agree there should be reciprocity, or better yet, Constitutnal carry, but that's gonna be a long slog to get there, IF!

Oregon has every right to set it's own policies on who they will issue permits to, currently I believe it's certain wash residents ONLY and under May issue with Just Cause!
Oregon lost that right. Did you read the Bruen decision? I'm not saying this happens automatically. But as other posters said, the next step is for a Iowa resident to apply for a carry permit, be denied administratively, and then appeal that decision through the courts. I believe that even the lowest court is now bound to find the prohibition against issuing permits to non residents unconstitutional. The whole country is now shall issue, and that does not go away when you cross state lines, but it will take some time to actually happen in practice.

This decision is as big as Heller and McDonald.

Oregon lost that right. Did you read the Bruen decision? I'm not saying this happens automatically. But as other posters said, the next step is for a Iowa resident to apply for a carry permit, be denied administratively, and then appeal that decision through the courts. I believe that even the lowest court is now bound to find the prohibition against issuing permits to non residents unconstitutional. The whole country is now shall issue, and that does not go away when you cross state lines, but it will take some time to actually happen in practice.

This decision is as big as Heller and McDonald.
I have in fact, the one thing you guys are missing here is, within that ruling, it only really applies to the states that are NOT shall issue it also stipulates that the states will be required to implement certain reasonable measures of compliance for all permit applications, such as finger printing, BGC and other "Reasonable" measures that the State decided! Ok, so, Oregon along with most of the rest of the states are shall issue or the few who have constitutnal carry with out permit, cool! The issue here is, Oregon, as well as the rest of the states who already have shall issue, don't need to do anything else, the ruling doesn't actually cover interstate carry or reciprocity, only that the few states MUST change to Shall Issue! It dosnt mandate or even imply that states must accept other states permits, or Constitutnal Carry! Yes, I agree that's wrong and Oregon and the rest of the states MUST ether adopt one system or the other, But, you will NOT force Oregon or any other state to accept it with out the SCOTUS backing it up, which we might get later, or not! I'm not disagreeing with you guys, I'm pointing out how this ruling will effect Oregon, or likely not! State legislators, that's a dead end, Attorney General, Good Luck with that, Current Gov'ness, not happening, States court, maybe, mostly likely NOT!

With respect to OR, only those who do not reside in WA, ID, NV and CA because there are OR sheriffs who will issue CHLs to residents of WA, ID, NV and CA.

I have in fact, the one thing you guys are missing here is, within that ruling, it only really applies to the states that are NOT shall issue it also stipulates that the states will be required to implement certain reasonable measures of compliance for all permit applications, such as finger printing, BGC and other "Reasonable" measures that the State decided! Ok, so, Oregon along with most of the rest of the states are shall issue or the few who have constitutnal carry with out permit, cool! The issue here is, Oregon, as well as the rest of the states who already have shall issue, don't need to do anything else, the ruling doesn't actually cover interstate carry or reciprocity, only that the few states MUST change to Shall Issue! It dosnt mandate or even imply that states must accept other states permits, or Constitutnal Carry! Yes, I agree that's wrong and Oregon and the rest of the states MUST ether adopt one system or the other, But, you will NOT force Oregon or any other state to accept it with out the SCOTUS backing it up, which we might get later, or not! I'm not disagreeing with you guys, I'm pointing out how this ruling will effect Oregon, or likely not! State legislators, that's a dead end, Attorney General, Good Luck with that, Current Gov'ness, not happening, States court, maybe, mostly likely NOT!
This I can generally agree with. Nonetheless, the important part here is not which state was told to do what, or how a specific law is affected. The important part is that the court unambiguously recognized an individual right to carry a firearm for protection outside the home and this applies to all states. Furthermore, and maybe even more importantly, the Supremes clarified the what analysis lower courts must use in analyzing all Second Amendment cases (not just pertaining to carry).

@Nocaster and @Ura-Ki ; it seems based on both of your interpretations, the die is set to have 50-state legal open carry at least publicly, and within already established Fed rules and State rules (sensitive places, such as Fed and State buildings, certain places, certain parks); you still can't carry in these sensitive places anyhow... but the SCOTUS also said States can't just make whole cities "sensitive places". So within that framework;

Conceal carry 50-State constitutional is not gonna happen soon but... open might happen sooner.

@Nocaster and @Ura-Ki ; it seems based on both of your interpretations, the die is set to have 50-state legal open carry at least publicly, and within already established Fed rules and State rules (sensitive places, such as Fed and State buildings, certain places, certain parks); you still can't carry in these sensitive places anyhow... but the SCOTUS also said States can't just make whole cities "sensitive places". So within that framework;

Conceal carry 50-State constitutional is not gonna happen soon but... open might happen sooner.
What's the distinction between open and conceal carry? I'm not following

What's the distinction between open and conceal carry? I'm not following
In most States, Open is fully legal, as in not concealed, doesn't require permits/licenses, and applies also to rifles. In some States, Open Carry is restricted to conceal permit/license holders, and further restricted (must be unloaded, actions open, things like that) in some cities.

Oregon as mentioned, allows Open Carry outside certain places... Portland, Eugene, Independence, Salem, a few others limits Open Carry to those who already have concealed handgun licenses. Interestingly, ODFW says concealed carry is permitted with fishing and hunting licenses, only when partaking of such activities.

Edit. Its simply having a rifle/shotgun slung over, or a holstered handgun in full sight on a belt, or a shoulder rig. Or even a chest rig, thats Open Carry. Instead of concealed within clothes, or in a case (some places requires the rifle or shotgun to be unloaded, with actions open, even in secure cases)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top