JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The last time I visited Oregon was 2019 for my Sister's wedding, approaching that I explored ways of legally working around Oregon's, Multnomah County's, and Portland's communist antigun laws to allow me to carry at least SOMETHING, I even explored carrying a cap and ball revolver. Well the result of that, though some questions were still unanswered, was that it was impossible to do so for an out of state resident, basically for me the second amendment did not exist.

Well 3 years later I'm going back to visit my Sister in July, the first I have seen her in person since the wedding, but now the legal situation has changed, we now have the result of the Bruen case from SCOTUS.

New York lost, but you probably already know that. What I'm working on is how good this is.

I haven't had a chance to read the whole thing yet but from what I'm getting so far I think we can definitively say that "may issue" doesn't exist anymore, all 50 states, including California and New York, are now shall issue. Also the "two step" scrutiny method being used by some lower courts is now gone, they are to interpret only using the second amendment text and historical precedence alone.

My question is this: Since carrying is now an affirmed constitutional right and states no longer have discretion on who to carry to as long as they meet the requirments (the court seems to have stopped short of Constitutional Carry, but has left the door open) than doesn't it stand to reason that they must by extension recognize other state's permits or issue to out of state residents? Because if they require a permit but do not recognize other state's permits or issue out of state permits are they not violating this ruling? As that would be effectively the same as not issuing a license at all.

So does this mean we have national reciprocity now? Can my Michigan carry license now be used in Oregon and the people's republic of portland?

With this dropped now and the abortion thing set to drop within the next few days likely and the start of the summer riot season I can see the violent leftist nut jobs running around portland try to burn the city down again and my dear Sister is uncomfortably close, being in the Portland suburbs.

Don't look for OryGun to change a god damn thing in the near future, especially in the time frame your looking at, remember also, Orygun doesn't recognize any other states CCW's so fuggeddaboutit! OPEN CARRY, DON'T This state is infested with so many Ken's and Karen's its like Rats in the garbage dump! In Short, your in the same boat you were before! Sorry to break it to ya, but don't get your hopes up over the todays ruling, it's gonna be a long slog up hill to hold the states feet to the fire on this one!

So does this mean we have national reciprocity now?

No.

It is a 'reasonable' restriction. Also, States have the rights to set their own standards on the testing, they are not impacted by the ruling.

Which Suburb. Most are reasonably safe.
Not that I would hang out in the near east side / Gresham area.

1656134589304.png

The last time I visited Oregon was 2019 for my Sister's wedding, approaching that I explored ways of legally working around Oregon's, Multnomah County's, and Portland's communist antigun laws to allow me to carry at least SOMETHING, I even explored carrying a cap and ball revolver. Well the result of that, though some questions were still unanswered, was that it was impossible to do so for an out of state resident, basically for me the second amendment did not exist.

Well 3 years later I'm going back to visit my Sister in July, the first I have seen her in person since the wedding, but now the legal situation has changed, we now have the result of the Bruen case from SCOTUS.

New York lost, but you probably already know that. What I'm working on is how good this is.

I haven't had a chance to read the whole thing yet but from what I'm getting so far I think we can definitively say that "may issue" doesn't exist anymore, all 50 states, including California and New York, are now shall issue. Also the "two step" scrutiny method being used by some lower courts is now gone, they are to interpret only using the second amendment text and historical precedence alone.

My question is this: Since carrying is now an affirmed constitutional right and states no longer have discretion on who to carry to as long as they meet the requirments (the court seems to have stopped short of Constitutional Carry, but has left the door open) than doesn't it stand to reason that they must by extension recognize other state's permits or issue to out of state residents? Because if they require a permit but do not recognize other state's permits or issue out of state permits are they not violating this ruling? As that would be effectively the same as not issuing a license at all.

So does this mean we have national reciprocity now? Can my Michigan carry license now be used in Oregon and the people's republic of portland?

With this dropped now and the abortion thing set to drop within the next few days likely and the start of the summer riot season I can see the violent leftist nut jobs running around portland try to burn the city down again and my dear Sister is uncomfortably close, being in the Portland suburbs.
I think the short answer is yes, carry outside the home is now a recognized constitutional right in all fifty states. However, it will take years of additional litigation before an out of state resident will be able to legally carry in a state such as Oregon (or New York). The Bruen case did not address this question, so it will take another case or cases to work themselves through the court system. In some areas, it will be settled in lower courts. For other areas it will probably come down to another scotus ruling, 5-10 years from now.

If you guys haven't yet read the full ruling yet, I highly recommend doing so!

It seems Justice Thomas predicted what would likely happen in the Rouge states who refuse to follow the law, he included several points of guidance to both the states and courts, specifically limiting what could be listed as "Sensitive areas" and those must consider the courts rules of history and text, he and the other justices laid out the groundwork limiting the states from abusing the system to retain their bans of legal firearms carry in public!
In the next several days, those Rogue States will attempt to lay out their plans, and I garentee you, they will ignore the court, forcing the 9th ( For the 4 Wet Coast States) to strike it all down! In addition, Oregon's Supreme Court must act to block I.P. 17 and 18 from making it to the ballot, they are clearly in violation of the new ruling, a fact the state has already been instructed on by the SCOTUS!

Hold Fast Folks there's gonna be a bunch of super pissed off lefties running around ranting and racing, but ultimately failing to infringe!

States cannot create "Safe Spaces" randomly, they must follow text, history, and tradition, not likely! Schools, State and fed courts, and very few other spaces qualify, and the states are forbidden from pushing business owners to make their business a gun free zone under threat, and business owners are warned not to post or face legal actions!

My interpretation of the ruling is that it would be extremely wise for Sheriffs to treat applications for licenses from citizens (WA, ID, CA) as if they are acting under "Shall Issue". Residents in these states now have a big hammer to use on OR sheriffs that refuse to issue licenses.

Oregon Sheriffs are not authorized to issue licenses to applicants from non-adjacent states. So, lets say you live in IOWA and want to get a license. You now have a big hammer handed to you by the Supreme Court to sue OR and completely wipe out the law and make OR a constitutional carry state (until the point in time at which the legislature could have an emergency session and make a newly revised law).

States cannot create "Safe Spaces" randomly, they must follow text, history, and tradition, not likely! Schools, State and fed courts, and very few other spaces qualify, and the states are forbidden from pushing business owners to make their business a gun free zone under threat, and business owners are warned not to post or face legal actions!
True, but you know Progs, they'll keep digging in and resisting every way they can until the bitter end like the petulant children they are.

My interpretation of the ruling is that it would be extremely wise for Sheriffs to treat applications for licenses from citizens (WA, ID, CA) as if they are acting under "Shall Issue". Residents in these states now have a big hammer to use on OR sheriffs that refuse to issue licenses.

Oregon Sheriffs are not authorized to issue licenses to applicants from non-adjacent states. So, lets say you live in IOWA and want to get a license. You now have a big hammer handed to you by the Supreme Court to sue OR and completely wipe out the law and make OR a constitutional carry state (until the point in time at which the legislature could have an emergency session and make a newly revised law).
This is incorrect, each state is its own authority on who they will issue permits to, the states legislature is who decides this, and unless you sue Oregon and Win, that's not changing! While Oregon is indeed a shall issue state, nobody can force them to recognize any other states issuing authority.

This is incorrect, each state is its own authority on who they will issue permits to, the states legislature is who decides this, and unless you sue Oregon and Win, that's not changing! While Oregon is indeed a shall issue state, nobody can force them to recognize any other states issuing authority.
You misread my comments and entirely created a whole new statement I never wrote.

Seems to me an argument could be made for Full Faith & Credit, just as OR can't unilaterally tell Texas "we don't care if this guy's a convicted felon in your courts he's not in ours so we won't recognize it."

Granted, refusals to extradite happen every day...

Oregon will not change it's carry laws beyond that which is already in the books, and it took us a long time to get here as it is!

Dude wants to force Oregon sheriff's to accept other states carry permits, not unless the state legislature votes it in, or the citizens take up an issue to the state for the vote, again, not likely

There are two remedies for two different classes people.

Class 1: Citizens who live in states directly adjacent to Oregon are legally allowed to apply to sheriffs inside of Oregon, who "may" issue a license to them according to state law. The remedy for these citiens is to apply, and if it the sheriff declines to issue, then file a lawsuit to force them to issue a license.

Class 2: Citizens who live in states which are not contiguous to Oregon. Their remedy is to apply, at which point the sheriff will reply "I am not authorized to accept applications from residents of your state". Then the next step of the citizen is file a lawsuit to throw the entire Oregon state law out on the basis that it does not allow them to apply to the sheriff for a license. The end result is that the state legislature will have to either accept constitutional carry or write a new law that allows citizens from non-contiguous states to to have some way of applying for a license (or put in a reciprocity clause) Either way, the citizen from the non-contiguous state has to have SOME remedy, as their currently is none. Open carry isn't an option for the entire state due to local ordinances.

One word, Preemption, Oregon internal laws trump all other states in making and upholding its own state laws! Sure, you can challenge it, but NO judge is gonna even hear a case on it, and forget the 9th circuit court as well! NO, an out of state citizen has no carry rights guaranteed in Oregon, no matter how much you wish it, it ain't gonna happen unless OryGuns citizens push the legislature, or bring an initiative to the voters!

You can try Oregon's "May" status with other states, but good luck, for all the above reasons!
As long as Oregon's "Shall" covers OryGunions, nothing in the recent SCOTUS ruling would cover or apply the 'May" part for non OryGunions!

One word, Preemption, Oregon internal laws trump all other states in making and upholding its own state laws! Sure, you can challenge it, but NO judge is gonna even hear a case on it, and forget the 9th circuit court as well! NO, an out of state citizen has no carry rights guaranteed in Oregon, no matter how much you wish it, it ain't gonna happen unless OryGuns citizens push the legislature, or bring an initiative to the voters!

You can try Oregon's "May" status with other states, but good luck, for all the above reasons!
As long as Oregon's "Shall" covers OryGunions, nothing in the recent SCOTUS ruling would cover or apply the 'May" part for non OryGunions!
Actually, one could now STRONGLY argue that a citizen's 2A rights don't end at their state of residency's borders, any less than their 1A , 5a, and 14A rights do…. if you can legally own and/or posses a firearm, you have the right to carry it in all public places from sea to shining sea.

Actually, one could now STRONGLY argue that a citizen's 2A rights don't end at their state of residency's borders, any less than their 1A , 5a, and 14A rights do…. if you can legally own and/or posses a firearm, you have the right to carry it in all public places from sea to shining sea.
Speaking of 1A.. isnt/wasn't that sort of the debate with uhm... certain adult materials and certain adult items? Like you couldn't get specific stuff sent to certain States without violating obscenity laws? At least, back before the US vs Larry Flint thing?

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top