JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So, 1639 passes on the strength of 76% yes vote by the sheeple of King County. All kinds of new restrictions on purchasing, storage of semi-automatic rifles. My question is, how does it affect current owners of said rifles? I don't recall reading anything in the initiative that requires a lot of current owners. Are we grandfathered in, with minimal changes, or is there a whole new world of B.S. hoops that we need to jump through, just to keep what we legally purchased and possess? Hopefully, the NRA can file an action to overturn and get a stay until the court rules. (I am not optimistic, since our state Supreme Court seems to be the judicial wing of the Democratic party).

I'd like to know the effect it will have on current owners as well as trusts. A trust can't take a training course, and trustees have possession but not ownership in regards to safe storage. And what if a person from Oregon was on a trust? Are they required to deal with WA laws if the trust is based i WA? Or the reverse, if an OR trustee is making purchases, but the firearms are being held by other trustees in WA? We need a lot of 2a lawyers in WA soon i think...

And more to your point, what about current owners in the NFA waiting game? If you were a legal owner before you submited your form 1, but now it comes back next september and you're screwed?

I'd like to know the effect it will have on current owners as well as trusts. A trust can't take a training course, and trustees have possession but not ownership in regards to safe storage. And what if a person from Oregon was on a trust? Are they required to deal with WA laws if the trust is based i WA? Or the reverse, if an OR trustee is making purchases, but the firearms are being held by other trustees in WA? We need a lot of 2a lawyers in WA soon i think...

That is a good question for @Sporting Systems

You'll need to store your firearms in accordance with I-1639 starting July 1, 2019. Persons under 21 will not be able to possess an AR outside of the parameters within I-1639 starting on January 1, 2019. Other than that, there is no impact unless you initiative a new purchase or transfer of an AR after July 1, 2019. Take a look at the other thread for further discussion.

.....Other than that, there is no impact unless you initiative a new purchase or transfer of an AR after July 1, 2019. Take a look at the other thread for further discussion.
I was under the impression that purchasing a handgun was essentially treated the same as AR's, triggering the training requirement, annual BCG's, etc...??

....heh. Triggering....:D

Handgun purchases after 7/1/19 will trigger an annual background check, yes. This check will literally happen in the background and you'll never know it happened. There is no training requirement for handgun purchases, only ARs.

No, if a search warrant is required by the Constitution, it would still be required regardless of whatever statute passed. A statute cannot trump the Constitution.

Obviously your not talking about WA, because the Constitution has never stopped those leftist partisan activists (WSSC) from legislating from the bench to push their political agenda (see 1639, the death penalty, McCleary, 940, any Eyman initiative, etc.).

Ray

Handgun purchases after 7/1/19 will trigger an annual background check, yes. This check will literally happen in the background and you'll never know it happened. There is no training requirement for handgun purchases, only ARs.

Handguns initiate that too. Dang. Looks like I'll have to buy all my handguns in OR after that time.

We produced this video to help understand most of these questions above.

Quick replies, but all of these are addressed in the video:

People purchase and possess firearm, trusts own them. Everything applies to the person in possession.

You can't buy and take delivery of handguns or lowers outside your state of residence. You can purchase it out of state, but it will have to be shipped to a dealer in your homestate.

NFA waiting game will be extended by 10 days on SBRs

Face Book post

Youtube post

People purchase and possess firearm, trusts own them. Everything applies to the person in possession.

You can't buy and take delivery of handguns or lowers outside your state of residence. You can purchase it out of state, but it will have to be shipped to a dealer in your homestate.

Face Book post

Youtube post

Thanks for that video, I live in OR, so details were still kinda vague to me. Informative.
Oregon is looking at this next Legislation, and is being discussed this winter, they may eve model it directly after this.

...the problem is, the laws are the laws and we're all going to have to deal with them until this law hopefully gets repealed. First step is to support the SAF and NRA and anyone else with a solid chance of litigating this appropriately. Second step is to avoid their radar, and put the things you want in the safe NOW and get in ahead of the ridiculous training requirement. No offense, it's one thing to "not give a crap" about the laws but if you run afoul of them and come under their focus, you'll be forced to care, quite a bit.

I voted, donated, did my part, but the stupid thing passed despite the best efforts of lots of good people. Best we can do now is avoid any additional scrutiny and continue to enjoy our rights as we know them to be. I'm NOT saying "lay down and take it" I'm saying be prudent and avoid any increased focus that would cause legal confrontations....until this thing can be made to go away.

Buying lowers, pistols, and any full capacity magazines you want and can afford NOW makes very good sense to me. I get it that magazines aren't on the current bill, but you can bet they will try to Californicate us on that one next. That's a guess on my part...

As they say, one man's opinion.....

Face Book post

Youtube post

Thanx for sharing the vid. Maybe some sound would have been nice......I do have a question. I was always under the impression that if you buy a fire arm out of state. The firearm can not cross state lines unless it is through a dealer. That is a federal thing. Oh, and screw SBR's and just buy an arm brace for short barrels. Much cheaper too with no 10 month wait or tax.

This may not be an easy question to answer, however I thought that initiatives were supposed to only address one subject in order to be a valid initiative. When reading all 30 pages of 1639, it struck me that it addresses many subjects, and therefore should not be valid. Is there any hope that it could be struck down because of this?

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top