Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Educate me on this Russian SKS

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by dhhockinson, Apr 4, 2013.

1. dhhockinson

dhhockinson Hockinson WA New Member

I have what I believe to be, a Russian SKS that has never been fired. I purchased it about 17 years ago. I would like to know more about the gun. It's history, is it collectable, what is the value... I've included pictures of the markings on the gun. I'm curious what the X's mean on the stock.

Thanks!

photo 1.jpg

photo 2.jpg

photo 3.jpg

photo 4.jpg

2. Phillyfan

Phillyfan Oregon City, Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Nice looking SKS.

3. OLDNEWBIE

OLDNEWBIE State of Flux Well-Known Member

Next in my collection if the gods continue to smile upon me.

4. civilian75

civilian75 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

I am no expert but I don't think this is an un-fired firearm. It seems to be an arsenal refurbished.

A few years ago, I met a Russian feller in a PDX gun show who said that the serial number can be a good indicator of the mfg quality of the barrel. He said that factory changes the drill bit (or whatever) making the lands/grooves every ten barrels, being the s/n ending in zero the first one, and the ones ending in "9" the last one to use that bit. Take it with a grain of salt.

5. dhhockinson

Thank you civilan75. I'm sure you are correct on not being fired. What I should have said that I have never fired it since it was purchased....

6. jricker3

jricker3 Klamath Falls, OR Active Member

7. trainsktg

trainsktg Portland OR Well-Known Member

Your nice, unmodified, arsenal-refurbished Russian SKS was worth somewhere in the area of $400-450 pre-Newtown. I have no idea what folks would be willing to pay for it now. It is regarded as being the most collectable of the commonly available SKSs. Others like East German, North Korean and Vietnam bringbacks with papers can be worth a whole lot more, but their in an elite class. Mentioned above, here is the best place to learn about your rifle:

Yooper John

Keith

8. dhhockinson

Thank you jricker3 & trainsktg. From the Yooper John site I can see mine has the refurb mark stamped on the receiver cover and the Tula Star stamped on the left side of the receiver followed by the number 2, possibly making it from the 1955/6 arsenal.

9. trainsktg

I've had many SKSs over the last 20 or so years, but my first, a Russian much like yours, is still with me and I have never had a desire to sell it.

Keith

10. dhhockinson

You know when I purchased this they were around $100 or so. I have another Chinese version that I shot and had a blast with in high school. At the time when I purchased the Russian one I never thought much about it. It was cheap and I just threw it in my safe and forgot about it. Glad I didn't give it away or get rid of it for what I paid.

11. trainsktg

Uh oh...most cheap ammo back then was corrosively primed. I have to ask...did you clean it before storing it?

BTW we probably got ours at the same time. I think I got mine in '96 and I paid $100.

Keith