JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have what I believe to be, a Russian SKS that has never been fired. I purchased it about 17 years ago. I would like to know more about the gun. It's history, is it collectable, what is the value... I've included pictures of the markings on the gun. I'm curious what the X's mean on the stock.

Thanks!

photo 1.jpg

photo 2.jpg

photo 3.jpg

photo 4.jpg

I am no expert but I don't think this is an un-fired firearm. It seems to be an arsenal refurbished.

A few years ago, I met a Russian feller in a PDX gun show who said that the serial number can be a good indicator of the mfg quality of the barrel. He said that factory changes the drill bit (or whatever) making the lands/grooves every ten barrels, being the s/n ending in zero the first one, and the ones ending in "9" the last one to use that bit. Take it with a grain of salt.

Your nice, unmodified, arsenal-refurbished Russian SKS was worth somewhere in the area of $400-450 pre-Newtown. I have no idea what folks would be willing to pay for it now. It is regarded as being the most collectable of the commonly available SKSs. Others like East German, North Korean and Vietnam bringbacks with papers can be worth a whole lot more, but their in an elite class. Mentioned above, here is the best place to learn about your rifle:

Yooper John

Keith

Thank you jricker3 & trainsktg. From the Yooper John site I can see mine has the refurb mark stamped on the receiver cover and the Tula Star stamped on the left side of the receiver followed by the number 2, possibly making it from the 1955/6 arsenal.

You know when I purchased this they were around $100 or so. I have another Chinese version that I shot and had a blast with in high school. At the time when I purchased the Russian one I never thought much about it. It was cheap and I just threw it in my safe and forgot about it. Glad I didn't give it away or get rid of it for what I paid.

Uh oh...most cheap ammo back then was corrosively primed. I have to ask...did you clean it before storing it?

BTW we probably got ours at the same time. I think I got mine in '96 and I paid $100.

Keith

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top