JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I use 4 different tools. The first is a double grit sharpening stone, second is a smiths like that one, third is a 400/600 grit diamond sharpening stone, and last is a standard kitchen sharpening stone to put a final edge on the knife. 10 strokes on each side on every tool and grit.

I've been reading about the KO Worksharp and the Apex Pro over at Bladeforums for the last week or two and and couldn't make up my mind between the 2. Noticed today that BiMart carries the Worksharp and decided to give it a shot. I've got an old Browning 815 drop point that I let get very dull awhile back and haven't been able to get an edge on it since. Used my usual stones, ceramics, glass, diamond etc and no go. 30 minutes in and a couple adjustments on motor speed and its stupid sharp. I'm a believer.

I've been reading about the KO Worksharp and the Apex Pro over at Bladeforums for the last week or two and and couldn't make up my mind between the 2. Noticed today that BiMart carries the Worksharp and decided to give it a shot. I've got an old Browning 815 drop point that I let get very dull awhile back and haven't been able to get an edge on it since. Used my usual stones, ceramics, glass, diamond etc and no go. 30 minutes in and a couple adjustments on motor speed and its stupid sharp. I'm a believer.

Bah humbug!!!

Muscle memory and lots of trial and error with stones:D:p!

Glad you found something that works for ya;).

Bah humbug!!!

Muscle memory and lots of trial and error with stones:D:p!

Glad you found something that works for ya;).
The muscle memory is going along with the other... uh what was I saying? :D
Nah just saying this thing lives up to the hype. Easy to use and less of a learning curve than the Apex from what I've read.
And the older I get, the more I'm all about easy. Or maybe its lazy. :)

$68.00-$75.00 range. Spyderco Tri-Angle Sharpmaker. Medium and Fine Ceramic sticks it comes with both a manual and a DVD that illustrates how to sharpen any tool, knife, hooks, scissors. It will handle serrated edges as well. I have two sets of these (one set is in my storage unit).

They are easy to use and my knives take a great edge. You can buy extra-fine ceramic sticks too. The only way that you can exceed the honing capabilities of extra-fine ceramic sticks, is to use a strop.

I have used a eze-lap diamond stick since I was twelve.
I have bought four now over the years.

They remove steel.
That's it!

Just like a stone, and many other devices.
It's the skill in using it. That makes it work so well. ;)

s-l300.jpg

Last Edited:
Though I feel it's an important skill to have, I don't know much about sharpening knives. The set in my kitchen is getting dull, and it'd be nice to have what I need to touch up my pocket knives when they're losing their edge. I'll need to sharpen both serrated and standard blades.

These seem to get good reviews, but I'm not sure if it's what I need: http://www.amazon.com/Smiths-PP1-Pocket-Multifunction-Sharpener/dp/B000O8OTNC/

Where do I start?

Actually In can put a decent edge on a dull knife by using the bottom of a common ceramic plate,
I hafta every year at Thanksgiving and also when I use the kitchen at friend's houses

Actually In can put a decent edge on a dull knife by using the bottom of a common ceramic plate,
I hafta every year at Thanksgiving and also when I use the kitchen at friend's houses
I hate going to friends or relatives houses and all their kitchen knives are incredibly dull and there's invariably no gear to sharpen them. On more than one occasion I've brought stones over and sharpened their knives.

Picked up the Lansky diamond stone kit, added a 1000 and 2000 grit set of stones to it and I'm getting razor sharp polished edges.

Long term use is key here. My old mentioned Smith brand gave me 20/25° angles and that wasn't sufficient especially the guide being plastic.

The Lansky is all aluminum guide, with more coarse stones for making proper edges on any knife no matter how damaged to start.

Shown below on my Griptilian at 25° after a 2000 grit polish from their Super Sapphire ceramic stone.

IMG_1456.JPG

I probably posted this before...
I have/use a Lasky, kind of cheesy, but never go much further than the medium stone to get a "micro serrated edge", as I don't intend on shaving any body parts with my pocket knives.
That, and I try not to buy serrated knives.
jmo
:D

I hate going to friends or relatives houses and all their kitchen knives are incredibly dull and there's invariably no gear to sharpen them. On more than one occasion I've brought stones over and sharpened their knives.

If you just flip the ceramic plate over, and use the bottom as your stone,
hold the blade at the same angle you ordinarily would and you'll see the steel
coming right off the blade, onto the bottom of the plate, you can make the edge
you want with a plate, at least on a kitchen knife

If you just flip the ceramic plate over, and use the bottom as your stone,
hold the blade at the same angle you ordinarily would and you'll see the steel
coming right off the blade, onto the bottom of the plate, you can make the edge
you want with a plate, at least on a kitchen knife
I hear you and know of that cool trick. Most of these knives though about needed a file first to establish an angle, take out nicks and start any sort of edge. they were d u l l

I have used a eze-lap diamond stick since I was twelve.
I have bought four now over the years.

They remove steel.
That's it!

Just like a stone, and many other devices.
It's the skill in using it. That makes it work so well. ;)

View attachment 332079
I have one like that except it has a plastic "case" which looks like the top of a pen. Keep it on me all the times and love it for pocket knives!

Sharpening takes a lot of technique with flat stones. If you want to get dull blades sharp with out heavy reprofiling the spyderco sharp maker is a great quick way for almost all kind of blades.

That's the way I do it. My Spyderco Triangle "Sharpmaker" is the way I make, and keep, my blades "shaving sharp".

This has worked for years.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top