Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Editorial: Raise voices against gun violence

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by RainbowBob, Apr 20, 2009.

1. RainbowBob

RainbowBob North Seattle Member

This mess was on my local rag's editorial page this morning. I want to write a rebuttal with the intent on getting it published. Even though many of my letters to the editor DO get published - they never seem to print the ones refuting gun control. But I'd like to give it another try.

I could use some quick input from NWF folks to refute specific points with citations, if available. I have also posted this at THR. I can (and have) done plenty of research, but I need to get some facts together quickly before the ink dries on this pack of lies.

A little help, please?

Anyone have a citation regarding the increase in overall homicides per capita in the UK and Australia after strict gun control measures were initiated?

Isn't the OPPOSITE true, in fact?

Citation for research that shows the AWB had NO impact on violent crime while in effect?

Hasn't this research been refuted by the very researcher that put it out in the first place? Anyone with a link to studies refuting this "fact"?

Apparently for this moron, murder victim's deaths are in vain unless they can be used to enact more gun control legislation.

How can they characterize surveys conducted by a political group with an agenda as "independent"?

He implies that tougher sentencing for drunken driving (a crime) is comparable to further restrictions on gun ownership (not a crime). Note that he does not suggest we further restrict car ownership, or further restrictions on access to alcohol. A far more accurate analogy would be to suggest we need to have tougher sentencing for violent CRIMES committed with firearms.

:banghead::banghead:

I will try to incorporate your suggestions and links into a rapid response. Although I'm sure we all agree this guy is a moron and/or liar - I need facts to refute this drivel. Thanks for any suggestions and help you can provide.

2. Bend

Bend Central OR Member

3. Kennedy

Kennedy Beaverton Member

Oh please give me the link to where I may read this drivel and voice my FACTS and not the blatant BS he is spewing.

4. doubleactiononly

doubleactiononly Seattle Member

Does the editorial in question cite any sources? Or is it like the "90% of mexican guns come from America" misrepresentation?

5. Mutoman

Mutoman North Bend Active Member

Have you asked the poster to prove his or her statistics and give viable (non rhetorical) references for those statistics.

It's hard to respond to an opinion piece because most will suggest so much information that many will not bother to try to prove the argument wrong. Most do not have the time to spend looking up all the statistics mentioned. That is why when someone states something as fact, I always ask for reference to that fact. With gun issues one should avoid the NRA or the Brady group for reference. Usually these references lead back to a rhetorical source that is attempting to translate someone else's work to point toward their own argument. Once you identify this misrepresentation, your work is half over.

6. doubleactiononly

doubleactiononly Seattle Member

7. Kennedy

Kennedy Beaverton Member

8. RainbowBob

RainbowBob North Seattle Member

I posted the entire editorial and, as you can see, he cites nothing to support his misinformation. Kennedy posted the link to the Seattle Times.

9. usmc0311

usmc0311 Portland Member

You ever hear the saying 'figures can lie, and liars figure'. Essentially that's what this author and the guy from Washington Ceasefire are doing.

The really sad thing is like you said, even if you do get a letter together that refutes this editorial honestly and intelligently, they aren't going to publish it. The media in this country doesn't want open dialogue and debate, they want to beat you over the head until you do what they want.

I would personally advise you to spend your time building up your own 'collection' so that when these liars get their way again and we have an AWB part II, you'll be grandfathered in.

If you want to argue it, I would encourage you to do so on a local community level and set the example of what an responsible gun owner is so that people won't believe everything they read in the paper. I do that with some gun-hating friends of mine (I know, are they really friends:laugh:) on a regular basis, and I'm actually starting to sway them and make them realize how irrational their thinking is.

Just my two cents.

10. fingolfen

fingolfen Oregon Member

The only bright spot is fewer and fewer people are reading print papers...

... as their agenda was set long ago...

11. swoop

swoop Milwaukie, Oregon Well-Known Member

I see many of these one sided so called news papers going down lately, breaks my heart.

12. rayd8

rayd8 Formerly Portland, now Alabama! Member

Aren't alcohol vehicle related deaths also down because vehicles are inherently safer than they were 20 years ago?