JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
520F4895-765C-404E-A8E1-E20B7E8322A8.jpeg AD995A98-6C9E-4E2D-9D60-1935365F666C.jpeg 2A102561-557B-4F57-A011-532CF99AEAA5.jpeg B1F2ED18-43FE-48D1-A009-2CADC0FF2084.jpeg 0508AEF3-8871-4D35-A64D-DBEBBEC9A337.jpeg 9AD446CB-93ED-4C40-91C6-A5DC91C57BE3.jpeg 9DDC9427-FB59-466E-A693-AACED89589B8.jpeg AEDC99C6-2CC9-4D72-89D4-D7033D06605F.jpeg 18F4CCD5-A80C-4A8E-A545-A724EF340614.jpeg CB0EF3C4-A48D-490F-9C36-A3D6A1898512.jpeg my buddy at work has a eddystone in original wood with serial number 198 does an body have an idea of its value? It was purchased in the 70s and appears to be unused

Last Edited:
It is difficult to give a value without pictures or seeing the rifle in person.

Things that make the military rifles go up in value for some people are :
Matching numbers...
Matching parts...as in Remington parts on a Remington made rifle etc...
Lack of import stamps..
Overall condition...
Still in original configuration...
Cartouches and proof marks...
Whether or not any after issue work was done by the military or when it was released to civilian hands...

As for me I look mostly at overall and bore condition....a few wear marks ," rack rash" , etc...is understandable , as we are talking a ex -army rifle....
I also do not mind a armory re-build with a mix of parts...
The Army re-built guns with the aim to get them back out into the field , not as future collector's pieces...

If the rifle is in overall good shape , in its original military configuration , has some readable proof marks and at least a good bore...then I would guess $800 on up...

Again without seeing the rifle , giving a value is like tossing darts at a dartboard , while drunk and blindfolded...
Andy

Added some photos the low serial number is what interested me the most 198 out of 2 million
It is difficult to give a value without pictures pr seeing the rifle in person.

Things that make the military rifles go up in value for some people are :
Matching numbers...
Matching parts...as in Remington parts on a Remington made rifle etc...
Lack of import stamps..
Overall condition...
Still in original configuration...
Cartouches and proof marks...
Whether or not any after issue work was done by the military or when it was released to civilian hands...

As for me I look mostly at overall and bore condition....a few wear marks ," rack rash" , etc...is understandable , as we are talking a ex -army rifle....
I also do not mind a armory re-build with a mix of parts...
The Army re-built guns with the aim to get them back out into the field , not as future collector's pieces...

If the rifle is in overall good shape , in its original military configuration , has some readable proof marks and at least a good bore...then I would guess $800 on up...

Again without seeing the rifle , giving a value is like tossing darts at a dartboard , while drunk and blindfolded...
Andy

The rifle looks to be parkerized and if I remember reading about them correctly , during WWI they were blued and then parkerized for WWII use....So I would say that is was issued at some point.
That is fairly usual for these rifles...which are excellent rifles BTW...

Where I live these rifles do not command as high as value as say the same vintage 1903 Springfield.
Just where you live or plan to sell a gun can play havoc on value....

After seeing the pictures ( Thanks for adding them ) I would still stand by my first guess and say around $800 and up...
Andy

There should be serial numbers stamped on the bolt handle. Does it match the receiver? And just behind the front sight a flaming bomb above month and year. Look for small stamps here and there. "E" will mean an Eddy Stone part. "R" for Remington and "W" for Winchester. U.S. Rifle M1917 Markings

From what (little) I know a butt-load of these rifles were rebuilt, so I tend to think getting one all original would be pretty rare.

RE the parkerized barrel. If I remember correctly, early on receiver and barrel were blued. Later on parkerizing was less cost/work and when barrels were replaced they would get parkerized barrels. On that last, I may have my 03s, 03A3s and P17s confused. :D

More pictures of any stock markings? Stamps?

Nice rifle. Very likely rearsenaled for WWII. Hand guards have likely been replaced, possibly when rearsenaled due to the color mismatch. @AndyinEverson 's price guess of $700-$800 is likely a solid guesstimate.

It's possible it goes higher if someone collects low serial numbers. A three digit is always cool!

I agree with these guys. I also agree with the op in the serial number. 3 digits makes it extremely cool and likely sought after a bit. One thing that hasnt been brought up, since its an Eddystone, is they didn't heat treat the receivers properly. They were extremely hard and brittle. This is generally only a concern when you want to rebarrel the rifle. Nice rifle, by the way!!

As much as the receiver heat treat, they also torqued the barrels on like they were trying to seal the gates of hell. If there is not a relief cut on the barrel when removing them, it is possible to fracture the receiver.

As much as the receiver heat treat, they also torqued the barrels on like they were trying to seal the gates of hell. If there is not a relief cut on the barrel when removing them, it is possible to fracture the receiver.

Thanks MountainBear. I was hoping you would add some input to what I posted above. I'm not an expert by any means, or a gunsmith. We are very lucky to have guys like you here that can help us out and add good valuable info. Im just a guy that has hunted these enfields since he was 12 years old. I fiddle with them and love them, but that's about it...:oops: . I was shooting my buddies p14 303 yesterday and the follower wasn't quite right, so I fiddled around with a plastic CZ 550 follower to mock up what shape the the follower needs to be. The CZ follower is actually working quite well :p . I know there have been issues with some of the followers for the 303 on the P14's and one works better than the others. I believe it was Winchester, but can't remember now. I may pm you buddy, to get your input?? Sorry to go off topic guys, but the P14 and m1917 go hand in hand..... Well kind of..:D

Last Edited:
Thanks MountainBear. I was hoping you would add some input to what I posted above. I'm not an expert by any means, or a gunsmith. We are very lucky to have guys like you here that can help us out and add good valuable info. Im just a guy that has hunted these enfields since he was 12 years old. I fiddle with them and love them, but that's about it...:oops: . I was shooting my buddies p14 303 yesterday and the follower wasn't quite right, so I fiddled around with a plastic CZ 550 follower to mock up what shape the the follower needs to be. The CZ follower is actually working quite well :p . I know there have been issues with some of the followers for the 303 on the P14's and one works better than the others. I believe it was Winchester, but can't remember now. I may pm you buddy, to get your input?? Sorry to go off topic guys, but the P14 and m1917 go hand in hand..... Well kind of..:D

Experience is valuable. I've seen your work with the rifles you've put together and it's closer to gunsmithing than a lot of the AR or 10/22 builders who call themselves gunsmiths these days...

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top