JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have been going back and forth a bit lately. I know a revolver is the gun for me for every day carry, but I am not sure which one. My choices are a Colt Detective Special SF-VI, A S&W m640, or a S&W m60.

Each of these guns has it's own pros and cons. I will list them now.

Colt Detective Special SF-VI
Pros: 6 shots, very reliable/accurate, light/smooth DAO trigger, easy to shoot
Cons: Lower caliber than other two, no SA trigger option, heavier than the other two, more expensive and harder to replace than other two if damaged/lost

S&W m640
Pros: More powerful caliber, smaller and lighter than colt, smooth/light DAO trigger, cheaper and easier to replace than Colt id lost or damaged
Cons: Lower capacity than Colt, more difficult to handle caliber (loud & punishing), no SA trigger option

S&W m60
Pros: More powerful caliber, smaller and lighter than colt, slight SA trigger option, cheaper and easier to replace than Colt id lost or damaged
Cons: Lower capacity than Colt, more difficult to handle caliber (loud & punishing), heavy DA trigger

I think I am putting way too much emphasis on caliber since I feel .38spl is powerful enough for most circumstances and I think I am placing too much emphasis on have a light SA trigger for more accurate shots due to that being unnecessary for most SD situations. That still doesn't prevent me from obsessing on those aspects though.

So which would you choose?

PS: I also posted this question in video form if you want to see the guns side by side.

YouTube - EDC: Which of these revolvers would you choose?

I would vote for the Model 60 pro. A little more than the snubby (3/4") and a certain appeal in its own right. You can make the trigger anything you want it to be and you already know how to work on them.

I obsess over the same things that don't matter for the "intended purpose". However, I want it all in every package and don't like compromises. The reality is I can only carry one (or two) at a time so I'm always compromising somewhere.

I think the caliber thing is overrated. With modern ammunition and bullet construction, anything bigger than a .32 is ok by me. Put 38's in the 357 and you'll be happy. Or, practice with .38's and carry .357's. In a real situation, I don't think one notices the difference.

None of the above. I looked at this issue a few years back and opted to go with the Ruger SP101 3", modified by Gemini Customs, that I have posted here before. I also carry .38 spl +P loads in my SP101. I find them more manageable for quick follow up shots than full house .357 mag loads. If they're still coming after that, I'm heading for the hills. :s0001:

It is, BTW, my second EDC carry choice behind my DW CBOB.

I'd have to agree with the colt for the reason that the whole lock thing is a big....well, it wasn't broke, don't know why they thought they had to fix it.

If an older model 10 2 - 3 inch S&W was in the mix, I'd go with that..

I like this one..........:s0155::s0155::s0155:

SWm649.jpg

Colt for the extra round. SA capability is not that important in a defense gun. If you have time and steadiness for cocking the hammer, you probably could stage a DA revolver as well. I used to do it all the time at the range with my 642. The 6 shot Colt with good ammo will do you fine. I guess a true test is go out to range and see how fast you can empty each revolver accurately with carry ammo. Then decide if extra shot is worth it. Make another video while you are at it... :)

Old school Dick Special for the win:

carry_rig.jpg

.38 is good to go, +P not so much. Six shots are great, and it's not terribly heavy (although heavy is relative). The reason I like mine is for some reason it is magic in my hands. I can hit golfballs at 30ft with it - with a 2" barrel.

golfball_at_10_yrds.jpg

-Thirtycal

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews