Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

EDC: Which of these revolvers would you choose?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by PlayboyPenguin, May 2, 2011.

1. PlayboyPenguin

PlayboyPenguin Pacific Northwest Well-Known Member 2016 Volunteer

I have been going back and forth a bit lately. I know a revolver is the gun for me for every day carry, but I am not sure which one. My choices are a Colt Detective Special SF-VI, A S&W m640, or a S&W m60.

Each of these guns has it's own pros and cons. I will list them now.

Colt Detective Special SF-VI
    Pros: 6 shots, very reliable/accurate, light/smooth DAO trigger, easy to shoot
    Cons: Lower caliber than other two, no SA trigger option, heavier than the other two, more expensive and harder to replace than other two if damaged/lost

S&W m640
    Pros: More powerful caliber, smaller and lighter than colt, smooth/light DAO trigger, cheaper and easier to replace than Colt id lost or damaged
    Cons: Lower capacity than Colt, more difficult to handle caliber (loud & punishing), no SA trigger option

S&W m60
    Pros: More powerful caliber, smaller and lighter than colt, slight SA trigger option, cheaper and easier to replace than Colt id lost or damaged
    Cons: Lower capacity than Colt, more difficult to handle caliber (loud & punishing), heavy DA trigger

I think I am putting way too much emphasis on caliber since I feel .38spl is powerful enough for most circumstances and I think I am placing too much emphasis on have a light SA trigger for more accurate shots due to that being unnecessary for most SD situations. That still doesn't prevent me from obsessing on those aspects though.

So which would you choose?

PS: I also posted this question in video form if you want to see the guns side by side.

YouTube - EDC: Which of these revolvers would you choose?

2. rodell

rodell Newcastle, WA Active Member

I would vote for the Model 60 pro. A little more than the snubby (3/4") and a certain appeal in its own right. You can make the trigger anything you want it to be and you already know how to work on them.

I obsess over the same things that don't matter for the "intended purpose". However, I want it all in every package and don't like compromises. The reality is I can only carry one (or two) at a time so I'm always compromising somewhere.

I think the caliber thing is overrated. With modern ammunition and bullet construction, anything bigger than a .32 is ok by me. Put 38's in the 357 and you'll be happy. Or, practice with .38's and carry .357's. In a real situation, I don't think one notices the difference.

3. Natty Bumpo

Natty Bumpo Clackamas County Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Colt.

4. Cougfan2

Cougfan2 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

None of the above. I looked at this issue a few years back and opted to go with the Ruger SP101 3", modified by Gemini Customs, that I have posted here before. I also carry .38 spl +P loads in my SP101. I find them more manageable for quick follow up shots than full house .357 mag loads. If they're still coming after that, I'm heading for the hills. :wow:

It is, BTW, my second EDC carry choice behind my DW CBOB.

5. Cougfan2

I reserve the option to cheat on any internet thread.:D

Trlsmn and (deleted member) like this.
  6. One-Eyed Ross

One-Eyed Ross Winlock, WA Well-Known Member

I'd have to agree with the colt for the reason that the whole lock thing is a big....well, it wasn't broke, don't know why they thought they had to fix it.

If an older model 10 2 - 3 inch S&W was in the mix, I'd go with that..

7. pokerace

pokerace Newberg Well-Known Member

Go with the m60 you won't be wrong.

8. PlayboyPenguin

My biggest problem isn't that you cheated. It is that you have a sweet custom SP101 and I don't...and that you did not include a pic. :)

9. coctailer

coctailer Portland, OR/Hastings, MI/Vancouver,WA I run with scissors.

I like this one..........:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

SWm649.jpg

titsonritz and (deleted member) like this.
  10. UncalledForGabe

UncalledForGabe Aloha Or. Member

M60 Definitely. :D

But really though, I like S&W revolvers with hammers.

Trlsmn and (deleted member) like this.
  11. Cougfan2

DSCN0758-1.jpg

12. jordanvraptor

jordanvraptor Oregon City, Oregon Well-Known Member

Colt for the extra round. SA capability is not that important in a defense gun. If you have time and steadiness for cocking the hammer, you probably could stage a DA revolver as well. I used to do it all the time at the range with my 642. The 6 shot Colt with good ammo will do you fine. I guess a true test is go out to range and see how fast you can empty each revolver accurately with carry ammo. Then decide if extra shot is worth it. Make another video while you are at it... :)

13. PlayboyPenguin

Okay, you win. Send it to me and I will carry that one.

I will treat her right too...and get her some nice Eagle Secret Service grips in a nice rosewood. Not tart her up in those rubber things. :)

titsonritz and (deleted member) like this.
  14. thirtycal

thirtycal Camas, WA Active Member

Old school Dick Special for the win:

carry_rig.jpg

.38 is good to go, +P not so much. Six shots are great, and it's not terribly heavy (although heavy is relative). The reason I like mine is for some reason it is magic in my hands. I can hit golfballs at 30ft with it - with a 2" barrel.

golfball_at_10_yrds.jpg

-Thirtycal

15. Redcap

Redcap Lewis County, WA Well-Known Member

dowant38.jpg

16. One-Eyed Ross

One-Eyed Ross Winlock, WA Well-Known Member

Oh, thirtycal.....I want one! That is the number two pistol on my list of "daddy wants" with a 1911A1 being #1

(Although I do love my 10-5 S&W with a four inch barrel)

17. Browning55

Browning55 Seattle-Everett Area Active Member

M60 (within the context of the question). You can deal with the lock or get one without.

18. Medic!

Medic! What just happened? Has eagle eyes. But cant remember what he saw. Bronze Supporter

19. Mandodoc

Mandodoc Battle Ground, WA Member

Cheat warning.
    Ruger SP101 .357 and Ruger LCR .357 - Both 5 shots but both sweet. I end up with the LCR most of the time because it's lighter.