JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
GP100 (1705) or Redhawk (5050).

Differences are 4 oz. weight and $250 (MSRP).
Carried in outside belt holster.
Redhawk will only be loaded with .45 Colt ammo (not ACP).

Which would you choose for your EDC and why?

Last Edited:
Get the 1705 GP100.... LOVE mine!

CA66F8E0-3642-466E-AF82-A253E284CAFE.jpeg

EDIT!...and an apology...

I should've stated that the Redhawk would only be loaded with .45 COLT ammo....not too interested in the ACP round.
Sorry for any confusion that omittance may have caused.
I have now corrected my opening statement.

EDIT!...and an apology...

I should've stated that the Redhawk would only be loaded with .45 COLT ammo....not too interested in the ACP round.
Sorry for any confusion that omittance may have caused.
I have now corrected my opening statement.
After digging a little deeper into the Ruger catalog, I see that even though it's listed as a 45 ACP chamber, it uses moon clips for the ACP, but will chamber the 45 Colt. That makes a lot more sense to me. Load that sucker up! My only complaint against the 45 Colt is availability of good ammo compared to the 44 Mag. If you're a handloader, that point is moot. If I was going to buy a Redhawk, though, it would be in 41 Mag! (My fav)

Still, my personal choice is for a slightly smaller, lighter gun.
Too bad Ruger won't make the GP100 in a 5 shot 44 Mag.

(Says the guy with a S&W Mod 69 who wishes it was available in 41 Mag.)

I was interested in a gp100 in 44 spcl but I kept reading issues with cylinder walls being too thin and wasn't as accurate. I think the gp100 is just not strong enough to handle 44 cal in spcl or magnum.

GP100s are one of the more solid revolvers out there. I've not heard of any durability issues with the larger rounds such as 10mm or .44 Special.

Where are the reports otherwise coming from? Looking to learn here.

GP100s are one of the more solid revolvers out there. I've not heard of any durability issues with the larger rounds such as 10mm or .44 Special.

Where are the reports otherwise coming from? Looking to learn here.
Yeabut if you load it up to casull levels it'd probably bend. lol

GP100 (1705) or Redhawk (5050).

Differences are 4 oz. weight and $250 (MSRP).
Carried in outside belt holster.
Redhawk will only be loaded with .45 Colt ammo (not interested in ACP).

Which would you choose for your EDC and why?

Are you stopping men or stopping things that see you as dinner?

Unless you hand load, I'd steer towards the .357 GP100 just for simplicity and cost.

When I had my .454 Super Redhawk (7-8 yrs ago) I had a hard time finding decent loads in 45 or 454 and when I did they were about a buck/rd.... not for plinking.
:s0161:

Same with my .44 SBH and (at least at the time), .44Spl cost more than magnums.

My old .41mag Redhawk suffered much the same fate... safe queen, then sold.

Either gun will serve, but you gotta figure in the cost of feeding it. Depending on how much you shoot, that is a factor.

BTW... I regret selling all three of those guns but with a family and bills I had to do what I had to do. I might make a different decision now.

Speaking of regrets (last thing, I promise), in the 90s I kept my 4" GP100 and sold a similar Colt King Cobra. A dumb move on my part, but who knew the Colt snake guns were going to appreciate like they did. I was satisfied w that decision until I saw what the Colts were fetching at auctions years later. Oops.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top