JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I like Spyderco Endura knives for daily use. The thumb hole lets them flip open easily and no cop can pretend that they are illegal. I THINK that they have some Aus8 models. The "Spyder-edge" corrugated blade simply shears through anything; the plain edge would be better for skinning.

My favorite carry is a "bird's head" Italian lever-lock auto (fully legal in Oregon as long as it is carried visibly, as on the belt). It is true Damascus steel with an amazingly fine grain that sharpens incredibly sharp, and feels more like stone than steel. Made by Armando Beltrane of the SKM, Switchblade Knife Makers guild, around $110.00, from BladePlay.com

You probably know about the websites for Smoky Mountain Knife Works and for BudK Knives. But you may not know about BladePlay.com , a wonderful site with excellent service and quality imports, and a sister site with higher-end domestic blades. Great stuff, cheap, good people, and the sites will eat up all of your free time if you want..........................elsullo

SOG Flash II is my edc. Keeps an edge, assisted folding, and light weight. Right at your price point, too.

SOG-Flash-II-Black-TiNi-600x505.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My EDC blade for the past 7 years has been a Griptilian. Great choice. If I lost mine today, I would go buy another one exactly like it immediately. Other than my iphone, I can't think of another consumer product that I own that I would not at least do some shopping around before I replaced it.

To reiterate: I do NOT want stainless steal. I want a better quality steal that will hold a edge longer.

Thanks for the reply.

Which of the hundreds of different stainless steels are you talking about. 440C 154Cm ATS-34 all make excellent knives I spent 14 years as a Custom knifemaker 3 years as a member of the Guild and made most of my knives from 440C or ATS-34 depending on the application.

Remember a fine "high carbon" steel blade will in fact go dull just by being exposed to air.

I like Spyderco Endura knives for daily use. The thumb hole lets them flip open easily and no cop can pretend that they are illegal. I THINK that they have some Aus8 models. The "Spyder-edge" corrugated blade simply shears through anything; the plain edge would be better for skinning.

My favorite carry is a "bird's head" Italian lever-lock auto (fully legal in Oregon as long as it is carried visibly, as on the belt). It is true Damascus steel with an amazingly fine grain that sharpens incredibly sharp, and feels more like stone than steel. Made by Armando Beltrane of the SKM, Switchblade Knife Makers guild, around $110.00, from BladePlay.com

You probably know about the websites for Smoky Mountain Knife Works and for BudK Knives. But you may not know about BladePlay.com , a wonderful site with excellent service and quality imports, and a sister site with higher-end domestic blades. Great stuff, cheap, good people, and the sites will eat up all of your free time if you want..........................elsullo

Damacus is not the name of a steel but is the marketing term used to blanket discribe any number of processes that combine two or more different formulas of steel together. Most common is pattern welded steel (again the name of a process) where two different materials are forge welded together flat on flat this is then drawn out to twice it's lenght and either folded over and welded to itself or more commonly cut and stacked and rewelded. Your better "Damascus type" blades will start at around 8 welds or 256 layers for an 1/8" thick blade. thicker blades would require more layers to achive the same layer thickness.
If you take a piece of L6 (also known as saw steel) and Pure Cupric Nickel and weld it up into a blade blank it's properties will be drastically different then if you were to start with say O1 tool steel and 1050 cold rolled steel. Or if you were to do the same with any other combination of two steels one being a steel that will hold an edge and the other that is very ductile.

You need to read up on these (now) marketing terms before you give a blanket recomendation.

The "generic" understanding of Damascus steel meaning enormous numbers of forged-together layers of different steels is sufficient for me. I contrast this with the cheap "fake" Damascus blades that are simply etched with fine wiggley lines to imitate the appearance of the real stuff.......................elsullo

Damacus is not the name of a steel but is the marketing term used to blanket discribe any number of processes that combine two or more different formulas of steel together. Most common is pattern welded steel (again the name of a process) where two different materials are forge welded together flat on flat this is then drawn out to twice it's lenght and either folded over and welded to itself or more commonly cut and stacked and rewelded. Your better "Damascus type" blades will start at around 8 welds or 256 layers for an 1/8" thick blade. thicker blades would require more layers to achive the same layer thickness.
If you take a piece of L6 (also known as saw steel) and Pure Cupric Nickel and weld it up into a blade blank it's properties will be drastically different then if you were to start with say O1 tool steel and 1050 cold rolled steel. Or if you were to do the same with any other combination of two steels one being a steel that will hold an edge and the other that is very ductile.

You need to read up on these (now) marketing terms before you give a blanket recomendation.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top