JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am looking to get a EDC folder. I only want to spend at most $40-$50. Going to be general purpose use. Looking for something that can keep a decent edge and hold up to abuse.

Looking for some recommendations please. ;)

Prefer to buy locally (Portland) but willing to buy online if needed.

Thx in advance!

I'm a huge fan of Kershaw. They make some fantastic knives and have outstanding customer service. I have tried carrying maybe 5 or 6 different Kershaw pocket knives and always come back to the Kershaw leek. It's the perfect sized knife for me.

I'm a huge fan of Kershaw. They make some fantastic knives and have outstanding customer service. I have tried carrying maybe 5 or 6 different Kershaw pocket knives and always come back to the Kershaw leek. It's the perfect sized knife for me.

Yes. Those Kershaws with the assisted opening are pretty decent knives and reasonably priced. Available with plain or combo blades.

I have a SOG twitch II that has held up very well for me in everyday tasks. I believe I got it for around $40 from Dick's of all places. It is an assisted opener and has a flipper similar to Kershaws. I prefer the straighter edge profile rather than the design of most Kershaw folders that have the dip in the cutting edge. Just makes for easier sharpening for me. The knife seems well built, has a thin profile, ands has served me well. Check the out here...

seriously tho...the ken onion speed asst. kershaw folders are, well...you just cant beat em'...made in usa, lifetime guarantee, i think they're 1095 steel, they stay sharp, sharpen easily, lots of sizes, and the drop point blade shapes are sexy...i like the straight edge scallion, been carrying these kershaws for like 10 years...now i carry a bark river highland special edc :s0155:

Guy at the gun show sells blemished or second Leeks for $25-$30 and they still function perfectly.
He has a huge table of pretty much Kershaw only, probably over a 1000 in stock!
He even has Damascus Steel ones for like $70.
Good guy, great deals!

Colombia River Knife and Tool for me. My EDC is the discontinued Apache, bought several of them years ago. Some retailers still have them

Regular version:

CRKT_Apache_2.jpg

Military version:

CRKT%20Apache%20Military%201.jpg

I've been collecting knives darned near my whole life, and always have a blade in my pocket. I've had lots of great EDC knives over the years, but I must say, my current carry is one of the best so far.

Kershaw Ken Onion. It's 4 3/4" open and right at 3" closed. Perfect size. It seems to keep a decent edge too..

There are, however, a TON of great choices out there..

Thanks for all the great responses! I have increased my price range to $80. From doing more research, I decided that I do not want anything that is stainless steel. With these new factors in mind, I would love to see the recommendations to keep coming.

In stainless the only good options I know of are the Cold Steel San Mai, and in several other makers, AUS 8. I have several Junglee AUS 8 blades and they hold up very well (Panda Skinning axe, Short Sword and Hattori Fighter) It's an expensive metal vs 440 so Junglee now unfortunately uses 440 for much of their products

To reiterate: I do NOT want stainless steal. I want a better quality steal that will hold a edge longer.

Thanks for the reply.

Just telling you they are excellent steel.. they compare favorably to many of the better carbon steels and they hold an excellent edge

Here is an explanation of the various steel types and their natures..

<broken link removed>

Here's the section about AUS 8

Q: What is AUS 8A Stainless Steel?
The words "stainless steel" are misleading, because, in fact, all steel will stain or show discoloration if left in adverse conditions for a sufficient time. Steel is made "stainless" by adding Chromium and reducing its Carbon content during the smelting process. There is a serious performance trade-off with stainless steel. As the Chromium increases and the Carbon decreases, the steel becomes more "stainless". But, it also becomes more and more difficult to sharpen, and the edge-holding potential is seriously impaired. This is usually why most stainless knives are rarely razor-sharp and quickly lose what little edge they have. In contrast, at Cold Steel® we use AUS 8A Stainless, a high carbon, low chromium steel that has proven itself to be the ultimate compromise between toughness and strength, edge holding, and resistance to corrosion.

Kershaw is in Tualatin. They may have a factory store where you can see all the models and maybe even pick up a blem/second for a good price and someone mentioned a guy that sells them at your gunshows. Probably Dave (Kershawguy).

Most knives are now some form of stainless steel with very good edge holding qualities. There aren't many carbon steel folders out there anymore except maybe some older slipjoints and Opinels.

Take a look at Kershaw; as stated, their knives are awesome! I use (Kershaw) Shun Classic for my kitchen blades, and for EDC, I carry a (Kershaw) Zero Tolerance 0350.

ZT0350.jpg

OOOH...I've been wanting to get my hands on a ZT350 for a LONG time. Personally, my EDC is either a Kershaw Leek (all black), or a Kershaw Shallot (again, all black). I've also got a ZT 0121 in the console of my truck at all times. And all my kitchen knives at home are also Shun (Ken Onion line though). Nothing like standing in line the first weekend of December for their factory sale either!

I carry a Benchmade Mini Griptillian. Got it at Bi Mart for about $50. I originally carried a full size Grip and bought this one for my son but it turned out to be perfect for me for every day. Gets used a lot and stays very sharp. It's smooth as butter and has a great locking mechanism. I'm no expert on knife steels but for a pocket knife for daily chores, I can't see how anything would be much better, stainless or not. I can't sharpen worth a darn so I figured I would just have Benchmade do it...someday...lol

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top