JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have a TLR-1s on my bedside gun and I use a Fenix LD12 that a carry everywhere with me. I have a few spare AA batteries as well in my get home bag and I have another cheap LED flashlight as a backup. The LD12 has been update for 2017 since my is an older version.

The SUREFIRE XC1 fits a very specific niche with IWB carry. It is incredibly compact but the brightness leaves something to be desired. If you are in an indoors low light/ no light scenario it will get the job done but it is not so good for outdoors or exterior to interior transition.

In my experience the battery life is much shorter than advertised and the internals allow for slight electrical leak. A single AAA battery lasts me a little less than a month. I consistently have to check to make sure the light has enough "juice" when I holster up my EDC.

The mounting system is somewhat fragile as well. I have broken the tightening screw before using a micro screwdriver.

3500 Lumens!? Are they serious? That thing is a beast! :s0001::s0001::s0001:

I've never understood the need for so much flashlight on a gun. I have a 100 lumen AAA LED light on a keychain that puts out more than enough light to see and identify a target. A small LED combined with a laser could be made into a very compact package.

We live on acreage, surrounded by even more acreage, and it's very dark outside with no street lights anywhere. A criminal would have to be a fool to come here without a flashlight, but then, they would give me the advantage if they did wouldn't they? All lights go out in the house except some strategically placed night lights, defensive positions taken by all and all are armed, 911 called .... BG gets to roll the dice and take their chances if they get inside "the bubble". Anyhow, having a handheld light is simply more practical for me. Plus, I always have one flashlight on my person anyhow, which is nice in case the one I'm using has an issue. Like everything, kind of whatever works best for an individual I suppose.

I run a TLR6 on my Glock 43 (light/laser combo). Great size; has held up to hundreds of rounds on the range; but it's not very bright. That said, it offers better target identification than night sights alone (duh). Plus, it's an emergency flashlight. Okay, okay, let the 'don't use your weapon light as a flashlight' crowd chime in; I said emergency and my index finger stays forward until it's needed.

<broken link removed>

The x300U-b is the best of the best for design change. The rails are not plastic.
The updated XC1 should be making it's way soon. I'm waiting. Not for the updated model, for Olight to release what was prototyped at SHOT 2017
Ya man what? I thought my 900 lumin light was the bombtrack. Seriously, i cant imagine 3500 lum's probably gets sooo hot! Better hope it's well made.

I like TLR 3s as they are small, cheap and plenty bright inside. On a full size Glock they don't extend past the dust cover which means shorter holsters. The toggle switch is easy to run intermittent on/off as well.

super affordable options...
Handgun Flashlight Hold

Shack. I recently took my first exclusive night fighting pistol class and the handheld light was demonstrated to have several benefits for home defense/house clearing duty. The sweeping issue was discussed and the handheld light mitigates this. There were also four light and gun handhold techniques taught which provide a stable platform with which to shoot.

I just purchased a TLR-1 HL for my Sig P320 full size. Fit is perfect (doesn't extend past dust cover), it seems really durable, and it's ridiculously bright (800 lumens). I can put it on/off finger tight (holster to bedside); and it's stayed put after 100 rounds or so (I always target shoot with my lights mounted to test them). I couldn't afford the Surefire X300 option and I don't think I'll regret my purchase. The one thing I don't like that much is the rocker switch. It's plastic and not a crisp engagement.

I just purchased a TLR-1 HL for my Sig P320 full size. Fit is perfect (doesn't extend past dust cover), it seems really durable, and it's ridiculously bright (800 lumens). I can put it on/off finger tight (holster to bedside); and it's stayed put after 100 rounds or so (I always target shoot with my lights mounted to test them). I couldn't afford the Surefire X300 option and I don't think I'll regret my purchase. The one thing I don't like that much is the rocker switch. It's plastic and not a crisp engagement.

Ours on the Canik easily has a few thousand rounds thru it by now, maybe even 3,000. Haven't adjusted it at all. Put blue thread lok on it (I believe anyways) at instal, as that's what I normally put on rail mount screws on our weapons.

Ohhh...and if you don't allready, keep electronic ear muffs at hand with your bedside gun. We have extras in each bedside table draw now, after keeping an eye on specials. Now have enough to keep in the range bags & the same models bedside. There's no forgetting to move them back & forth.

Last Edited:
Ohhh...and if you don't allready, keep electronic ear muffs at hand with your bedside gun. We have extras in each bedside table draw now, after keeping an eye on specials. Now have enough to keep in the range bags & the same models bedside. There's no forgetting to move them back & forth.

I go back and forth about hearing protection during a HD situation, though I've never used the electronic type. Do those block small noises that might be beneficial during a potential threat situation (e.g., floor creaks, door knobs)? If so, I might consider this as I can easily imagine losing my hearing after the first round. I've tried shooting without ear muffs outside (ouch) but never inside (not law enforcement or military); which brings up an interesting point - what do LE/military folks do in regard to hearing protection?

Last Edited:
I go back and forth about hearing protection during a HD situation, though I've never used the electronic type. Do those block small noises that might be beneficial during a potential threat situation (e.g., floor creaks, door knobs)? If so, I might consider this as I can easily imagine losing my hearing after the first round. I've tried shooting without ear muffs outside (ouch) but never inside (not law enforcement or military); which brings up an interesting point - what do LE/military folks do in regard to hearing protection?

Off, the electronics are just like any other ear muff.

On, they enhance noises. Like, if you could hear whispering without them, you may be able to hear the conversation. They're weird to get used to, but once you do you'll kick yourself for not buying them sooner.

They auto cut-off loud noises above a certain decibal (like gun shots).

I like the Tactical Q-5. I have three of them. One in car, one on nightstand, one on the AK. Blindingly bright and has strobe on a quick 2nd tap of the button. Works on my AK as well as pistols. Takes 2 CR132's. About $20 bucks on ebay. So far mine have taken quite the beating and they haven't let me down. Nice and solid, aircraft aluminum or so they say... Ergonomics are great for free hand or attached to your favorite firearm.
Your mileage may vary. There are several variants of them, just make sure the one you get has the Cree bulb. You won't be disappointed. I'm not going to get into a whizzing contest here about lumens (blah, blah, blah if you're one of those spec monkeys). But just imagine this thing on a pistol. What would they think when the whole package is pointed at them?

Q5.jpg

Last Edited:
Off, the electronics are just like any other ear muff.

On, they enhance noises. Like, if you could hear whispering without them, you may be able to hear the conversation. They're weird to get used to, but once you do you'll kick yourself for not buying them sooner.

They auto cut-off loud noises above a certain decibal (like gun shots).
These sound amazing (pun intended); where have I been...? Do the $30-40 options work well enough?

These sound amazing (pun intended); where have I been...? Do the $30-40 options work well enough?

We run the Peltor Rangeguards. Normally $35-45 on Amazon, every once in a while I think they "might" go on special for less. Comfortable, seem just about as light weight as non electronics, and play our music nicely. Course with music playing, it does override the other sound amplification a bit. Can still hear commands and such though.

Also like the power on/volume control better on the Peltors. Seem easier to get used to, vs the Howard Leight (again though, for us).

Battery usage on both seems about the same. Can usually get about 3 to 5 range trips out of a pair of AAA regular Costco alkalines. So around 6-8hours maybe, if we remember to turn them off! Haven't tried rechargeables nor lithiums, as the cheapos seem to work fine.

Amazon.com: Peltor Sport RangeGuard Electronic Hearing Protector RG-OTH-4: Home Improvement

We like them a bit better than the Howard Leight Impact Sport, but it could be just on how they fit us. Like a good pair of shoes, may not fit someone else.

Amazon.com: Howard Leight Impact Sport OD Electric Earmuff, Green: Home Improvement

They have all kinds of crazy options these days. Boom microphone capable etc etc.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads