JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I found a few topics that skirted around the information I am looking for but nothing right on the money. Soooo... the other day I saw a cat walking around with a full sized Kbar on his belt. He was wearing black pants and the black sheath and handle of the knife were actually pretty easy to miss if you're not paying attention to things.

That being said... I like the idea of a fixed blade carry knife but strapping my full sized Kbar on my belt seems a bit over the top. I found a sweet horizontal/scout carry sheath but my understanding is that it would get you a heap of trouble if your shirt was untucked and hiding a Kbar that way.

Which brings me to my questions for my fellow NWFA folks that are doing a EDC fixed blade. What would you recommend as a carry option and more importantly, how in the heck are you actually carrying it?

-D

I carry an ontario rat3 around my neck while at home or camping.

Only carry a 3.25" Kershaw folder when out in town. It is legal where I live to carry a fixed blade but 5 miles south is the Vancouver City Limits - no fixed blade of any length is allowed there so I just leave it at home on the outside chance I happen to go into the city proper.

Check EVERY county, city and state laws where you travel and Imo follow the strictest of the set of rules and your good to go in the other places.

True story, my wife made fun of me because I carry my sidearm at home and away from home but have to switch out my knives before I leave the house. My rat3 and kershaw folder are the exact same size, blade and handle - it's rediculous.

I tried carrying this one for a while. Still didn't match up to a good folder.

<broken link removed>

I have an Esee 3, that is a great fixed EDC. If my purchase was going to be EDC, I would probably go with the un-coated, as the coating is pretty thick. More maintenance, but if you use it everyday it is not hard to remember to maintain.

Vault, how are you carrying the Esee3?

I guess my thinking is... going back to my original post, that the guy with the Kbar looked like he just walked out of the auto garage. I can't pull that off in my daily walking around world so trying to think of a business casual option.

Vault, how are you carrying the Esee3?

I guess my thinking is... going back to my original post, that the guy with the Kbar looked like he just walked out of the auto garage. I can't pull that off in my daily walking around world so trying to think of a business casual option.

Lemme play devils advocate for a sec... What do you need a fixed blade for in the city? What would you use it for? Will you freak out your buisness casual colleges when you pull out a fixed blade knife to cut a string off your jacket?

If it is for defense, do you feel your sufficiently trained to fight with a knife?

Or GHB? I had a salesman decide that since I had a satchel type bag on me holding my gun, he went to go get his GHB and proceeded to show off a nice 10" blade he had attached to it. I politely asked him to step over to a side of the room without people and pointed out that we were inside Vancouver City Limits and that having that fixed blade accessible was worse or as bad as CC'ing without a license.

The way I phrased that sounded like I do EDC it. I don't.

I work in downtown PDX, so I carry a folder. I do carry a satchel, or soft briefcase, or man's purse... whatever you call it. Being that the Esee 3 is molle compatible, I am sure it could be strapped to the correct satchel. I have strapped the Esee 3 to my belt, in both horizontal and vertical carry, and wouldn't mind carrying either of those ways. But I am not sure what the laws are about that.

I know that I am ok to carry my folder. My Esee is for my outdoor excursions.

EDC folders are worth their weight; anything with a lifetime warranty.

Don't rule-out multi-tools: Leatherman OHT.

A Milwakie 48-22-1990 Fastback with the belt clip removed and a part-cord loop installed.

Fits side by side with a spare mag in the back pocket...so I've been told. :D

Last Edited:
Oh, snap. Joe, I just went back and read over all of these posts again on my computer, not my wee tiny phone screen and caught your information about a fixed blade in Vancouver. I am out in the sticks pretty often for my job and was thinking a fixed blade on my person would be nice for any SHTF situation. And, while I don't go to Vancouver daily it's often enough that the whole discussion of fixed blade carry just went out the window. You get the gold star of the day, good Sir.

-D

Nice;).

People keep Get Home Bags now I guess.

Seriously I looked everywhere for GHB, cause I don't know what it is.

Urban Dictionary for GHB:
"Grey Horse Bot"
"Get Her Bucked"
"Date Rape Drug".
"Georgia Home Boy"
"Get Home 'B!tch"

I will take your word for it that you meant "Get Home Bag". Maybe I will call my Man Purse a GHB now!!! It will really confuse my co-workers, which is part of what I strive for ;)

Seriously I looked everywhere for GHB, cause I don't know what it is.

Urban Dictionary for GHB:
"Grey Horse Bot"
"Get Her Bucked"
"Date Rape Drug".
"Georgia Home Boy"
"Get Home 'B!tch"

I will take your word for it that you meant "Get Home Bag". Maybe I will call my Man Purse a GHB now!!! It will really confuse my co-workers, which is part of what I strive for ;)

Maybe Bug Out Bag?

It is different then my EDC bag.

EDC bag has gun, wallet, leatherman and a few goodies that get used all of the time.
When it gets called a man purse, I tell them it my tactical satctchel, gun holster or terrorist response kit depending on the person.

My EDC has everything I need to get back to my car.
My GHB is in my car and has everything I may need to be able to get home.

My SHTF, bug out bag, get home bag is different load. It is more of a cross between a camping pack and a survival pack. I could walk out the door with it and survive for quite some time.

Maybe Bug Out Bag?

It is different then my EDC bag.

EDC bag has gun, wallet, leatherman and a few goodies that get used all of the time.
When it gets called a man purse, I tell them it my tactical satctchel, gun holster or terrorist response kit depending on the person.

My EDC has everything I need to get back to my car.
My GHB is in my car and has everything I may need to be able to get home.

My SHTF, bug out bag, get home bag is different load. It is more of a cross between a camping pack and a survival pack. I could walk out the door with it and survive for quite some time.

I've seen your tactical "man purse". You know, it really doesn't stand out. And no, it doesn't look like a purse. Could use a little 'bedazzling' for style though ;) Hey, it worked for this Glock case:

Glock-Diamond-Bedazzled-Pendant-Jewelry.jpg

Now, back to your regularly scheduled fixed blade discussion...

I'm cheap.

Gerber Camp Knife:
image.jpeg

Handles are off because I was cleaning any mild rust off as seen in photo. I don't mind a $27 knife that I've carved an elk or two and could or deer up with.

<broken link removed>

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads