JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Ed Brown Kobra Carry range report

I couldn't believe how I stumbled into it, but I got a killer deal on a brand new Kobra Carry. About a month ago I took delivery, but have not had the chance to properly break it in. I have mentioned on this forum the need to appease the gun gods. Especially a new gun. For various reasons this couldn't be accomplished until last Wednesday. Either the wife was out of town or the weather was bad. She insisted that if this gun was going to be properly broken in then the weather had to be warmer. :s0012: It wasn't easy, but I was patient. I did not want to take the chance of pissing off the gun gods. After all this is a high-end 1911 and I have intentions of keeping it for a very long time. :woot:

Since I never grow tired of looking at guns, specifically 1911's and even more specifically high-end 1911's and since this is a range report of an Ed Brown Kobra Carry, here are a few pics of the gun:

IMG_7469a_zps83a1b4d0.jpg

IMG_7486_zpsbb39768f.jpg

Some of the “snakeskin” that likely inspired the name:

A couple of the rounded butt that likely further inspired the name:

IMG_7479a_zpsfe901cb0.jpg

IMG_7476_zps8dc489f7.jpg

Here's one with his big brother:

IMG_7466a_zpse242cbbb.jpg

Hopefully the pics give an idea of the fit and finish. In short it is outstanding. No sharp edges like on the bottom of the slide. It doesn't rattle. The trigger is crisp with no creep. The snakeskin treatment "grabs" in one way, but not the other. Not unlike rubbing a fish the wrong way. There was a drill in a class I took one time in which maple syrup was poured on our hands and guns to simulate working and shooting the gun with bloody hands. I think this gun would "pass" this drill with flying colors. While on the subject of drills, racking the slide with one hand might be a problem. It will be difficult if not impossible to use the rear sight to rack the slide with one hand such as by hooking it on your belt or the pocket of your jeans. But with everything there are trade-offs. :s0092: While we're on the subject of sights, and for those who don't know, Ed Brown guns come stock with Trijicon tritium three dot sights. Personally, I love them. They are bright at night, but not so much that it destroys night vision. In the day they are just like regular, conventional three dot sights. But as always YMMV.

Now back to the fun stuff!

The wife and I drove out to our favorite shooting place. A place for obvious reasons that had to be secluded. She loaded the four Ed Brown magazines I had with the 250 rnd value-pack of 230gr ball ammo I threw in specifically to break in the Kobra Carry. I had the pleasure of watching. Believe me she had my undivided attention. :D

The wife shot all four mags with no malfunction and remarked how much she liked it and that the recoil felt “different” than on her other 1911's. (Her other 1911's are a Colt Defender and a plain Jane series 70 Colt.) I think she also liked it because she was clanging the steel on every shot. :banana: Before anyone asks, yes, I have pics and even video of her breaking it in. But no I won't post them. Sorry guys! I like this forum and I don't want to get banned. :s0123:

Then it was my turn. After oiling the slide, I also shot four mags. Not surprisingly, with no malfunctions. I also noted how accurate it seemed. It sure “feels” good and natural to hold, point and aim. Even more than my other Ed Brown 1911, a full government sized Kobra, and I thought it couldn't get better than that. :s0001:

The rest of the day was spent enjoying our second amendment and making a lot of noise with gunfire and the clanging on the steel targets I bought from Matt at Steel Horse Customs. After the 250 rnd value pack was shot up we started shooting my 230gr plinking reloads. We had no malfunctions. Also, it should be noted the gun ran fine, just like his big brother with any of the hodge podge of magazines we happened to put in it. :s0155:

However, all is not 100% good regarding this gun. After “properly” breaking it in, and as the day progressed the wife insisted on calling it “my Kobra” when referring to it and “your Kobra” when referring to the full sized Kobra. But she has said she like the way the Executive Carry looks. So stay tuned there may be more to this story and/or a range report on an Executive Carry. :s0107:

Beautiful gun until you get to the bobbed off grip. I was so hoping this wouldn't be the case.
Can't quite like those yet.
Top 3/4s is very nice

I felt this way at one time, then I held one with a bobbed grip. Abso-friggin-lutely love the feel of it. But, I really only like the look of it with a Commander length slide.

I wasn't sure I'd like the bobtail either. :confused: Before dropping north of $2500 on a gun, I do a lot of research. The guys over on the 1911 forums sure love them. It boils down to personal preference. My personal experience is they both shoot equally well. I couldn't really decide, so I ended up with both. :woot: However for daily (concealed) carry, the commander size bobtail is miles ahead of the full government size. :s0166:

All of my 1911's are bobtails. I started out with a Dan Wesson Cbob, then I got a Kobra Carry just like yours and just to make my GSG .22LR 1911 happy I did a bobtail job on it. I wouldn't have a 1911 any other way now. Gary

All of my 1911's are bobtails. I started out with a Dan Wesson Cbob, then I got a Kobra Carry just like yours and just to make my GSG .22LR 1911 happy I did a bobtail job on it. I wouldn't have a 1911 any other way now. Gary

I'm a little surprised John Moses Browning didn't come up with a bobtailed 1911 himself.

Oh, and share the pics and the story of the GSG. Sounds interesting so far.

Thanks for all of the kind comments. Hope this is/was some help to someone.

If you think Kimber is the greatest thing since canned beer, sliced bread or pepperoni pizza then by all means get one. I went that route. I bought a brand new Super Carry Custom. That bob-tail sure looked sexy. It felt great to hold. When it worked, it felt great to shoot. But I didn't have very good luck with it so I got rid of it as soon as I could.

I may have to agree with Puddle that Kimber may have perfected the bob-tail. Look at the pic he posted. That is a fine looking gun! (But I never grow tired of looking at 1911's)

bravo_zps85b94b30.gif

Don't get me wrong I like Ed's and Dan's work, but I'll battle you Kimber-anti's all day long.

I don't think of myself as a "Kimber-anti". But I know them well enough to determine they just aren't for me. Puddle, I remember having a discussion or two with you about Kimbers, but this could be a very enjoyable time for all. Sounds like a good excuse to get together clang some steel and get our guns dirty. For that reason alone I want to take you up on this. :s0155:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top