JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Woodpile Report

Scroll down to Ebola (or search) Just below the 1933 Hennessy magazine ad.
Ol' Reumus does not direct link stories.

" art-remus-ident-04.jpg Do I really have to say it again? Sigh ... okay. Stay away from crowds. "

Most people remain clueless on what is REALLY going on in this country when it comes to being vetted AND being MEDICALLY checked for any or all communicable diseases.

When my late Father came through Ellis Island legally with his British passport (Cyprus was a British colony at the time.) - he and all others at EI were VETTED and were medically checked out. So were other people that I knew in my family and with friends.

My late Mother's side, on her Dad's side of the family, came over a few ships past the Mayflower and they did not get vetted in the same manner.

Cate

The rules for immigrants, at least those who are honest and state they want to take up residence in the good ole US of A are different then they are for visitors or those crossing the boarders illegally.

My wife and daughter both went through extensive medical exams with an INS approved doctor, in their home country of Peru, not once, but twice, before their visa's were issued. They had to produce immunization records and then receive any missing immunizations, from said doctor... That's not so long ago, 2005...

But see, that's what happens when you play by the rules and do things the right way. Many come as visitors and never leave, there's no such vetting for said visitors... Perhaps there should be.

Most people remain clueless on what is REALLY going on in this country when it comes to being vetted AND being MEDICALLY checked for any or all communicable diseases.

When my late Father came through Ellis Island legally with his British passport (Cyprus was a British colony at the time.) - he and all others at EI were VETTED and were medically checked out. So were other people that I knew in my family and with friends.

My late Mother's side, on her Dad's side of the family, came over a few ships past the Mayflower and they did not get vetted in the same manner.

Cate
As were all four of my grand parents as they came off the boat from Lithuania. They got to Ellis island and were screened quite thoroughly. Anyone who appeared sick was quarantined or even sent back.
As well, my grandparents (both sides) demanded that their children (my eventual parents) speak English and not the old language. I believe that was known as assimilation, which is a dirty word to the progressives these days.

^^^

I hear you!

Tons more to say but I would be preaching to the choir and it is not allowed here.

My late Mom was in Medicine and mainly in PUBLIC HEALTH in NY and in MD.

I want to say more but it is LONG and detailed and I don't want to tick off anyone when it comes to the LENGTH OF MY POST. LOL They could put me on ignore or just not read the post too.

We moved to MD when I was one year old - 1951. She studied, graduated and worked in NY (WW2 era and on.) and in MD. She got a great job offer in MD. She continued her education and research. Daddy told her to go for it so we moved to MD.

If she were alive today - she would not believe how things have gone down in this country when it comes to HEALTH ISSUES and all types of vetting! That goes for my late family members, mentors and my late husband - they would think that we entered the TWILIGHT ZONE IN ALL MATTERS!

What USED TO BE REQUIRED for the SAFETY and well being for ALL people in this country when it came to Health, dealing with citizens, legal immigrants, illegal aliens, criminals, honest citizens, taxes, sanity and responsibility in government, etc. seems to be ignored now as it did in the past somewhat but ignored MUCH MORE NOW than ever before.

WHY is it that you, some other honest person or I HAVE TO OBEY THE LAWS of this land and other people don't? I don't need an answer because I already know the answer. FUNNY thing on how that works, eh?!

Take care and thank you.

Crazy Land - fade out with the Twilight Zone music now.

Cate

Last Edited:
Both sides of my family immigrated from the Ukrainian Oblasts near and around Kharkiv and Nordka ( Prussian settlements)
first through Moldova before heading to Houston Texas where they were welcomed with open arms and given land grants in and around the area! We became some of the first 1000 Texians even before it became a state! As long as the immigrants didn't show any obvious signs of illness or known diseases, they were welcomed! Two of them had T.B. and later died in the Waco.

As were all four of my grand parents as they came off the boat from Lithuania. They got to Ellis island and were screened quite thoroughly. Anyone who appeared sick was quarantined or even sent back.
As well, my grandparents (both sides) demanded that their children (my eventual parents) speak English and not the old language. I believe that was known as assimilation, which is a dirty word to the progressives these days.

Hey, all of my great grandparents on my fathers side are from Lithuania.

never met many Lithuanians until I moved to Oregon. Apparently we all like the weather up here.
We also have an anthem. If you're Lithuanian and you know it count your scars....:p
Yeah we're a dwindling group.
Where I grew up back east you couldn't throw a rock without hitting a Lithuanian (yeah I was a pesky kid:().
There's the Portland Lithuanian club. They have regular meetings at the Latvian hall on SW Dosch in Hillsdale. It's fairly well organized and they have regular events.
Portlando Lietuviai / Portland Lithuanians

We also have an anthem. If you're Lithuanian and you know it count your scars....:p
Yeah we're a dwindling group.
Where I grew up back east you couldn't throw a rock without hitting a Lithuanian (yeah I was a pesky kid:().
There's the Portland Lithuanian club. They have regular meetings at the Latvian hall on SW Dosch in Hillsdale. It's fairly well organized and they have regular events.
Portlando Lietuviai / Portland Lithuanians
sure wish I could read that. My great grandparents, like many before, required their kids speak english and not Lithuanian as their primary language. My father and his brothers never learned Lithuanian and so neither did I. But like most people in this country I am a mutt. Many different backgrounds in my family tree. The only ones I can trace back for sure are Lithuanian and Scottish.

sure wish I could read that. My great grandparents, like many before, required their kids speak english and not Lithuanian as their primary language. My father and his brothers never learned Lithuanian and so neither did I. But like most people in this country I am a mutt. Many different backgrounds in my family tree. The only ones I can trace back for sure are Lithuanian and Scottish.
If you scroll down the Web page it turns into the English
version. Same here with the language. My parents were
both first generation here so they grew up speaking it but their parents insisted that their primary language should be English. So basically total assimilation in one generation.

Last Edited:
If you scroll down the Web page it turns into the English
version. Same here with the language. My parents were
both first generation here so they grew up speaking it but their parents insisted that their primary language should be English. So basically total assimilation in one generation.

took two for my family. My grandparents could speak the language. Closest I could get was learning Russian in college. Which I used so little I have since forgotten most of it.

A fiction story which is well regarded,
"The premise: how a small town copes with an Ebola epidemic, what works, what doesn't work"
Fourteen Cows
Eaton Rapids Joe: Fourteen cows 1.0: Prelude

The art-link-symbol-tiny-grey-arrow-only-rev01.gif Seven Cows series is a primer for recognizing and preparing for a pandemic. The story follows several different characters who are called to respond as the nature of the crisis changes through time. Those characters include Rick and Kate Salazar, a machinist, a nurse, a laborer, a former college football player and a young bow-hunter.

Sub-themes include "markets" as the nucleus that communities crystallize around and the fact that violence cannot be avoided.

The strong point of the story is its readability. It is suitable for sharing with people who never considered the possibility of a crisis that can destroy society. The story even has two Hillary Clinton supporters who are treated with respect and compassion.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top