JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I used to work in a top restaurant here in Portland; still there. $75-100/plate.

For that price you would get flies, spiders, wasps, and whatever else was in the window sill put into your food.

If people knew what they were really eating they'd crap their pants.

Typically, the nicer the restaurant the more chance someone has put a yellow jacket into your food. Bitter employees taking it out on 'rich' customers.

Now, if you are crazy enough to send your food back for any reason, all bets are off.

If you ever order food delivered, like pizza, well ... you are an idiot. Chances are that pizza has been dropped on a nasty floor a couple times, been around cock roaches and their feces, etc. Trust me, been behind the scenes there also.

"Now, if you are crazy enough to send your food back for any reason, all bets are off."

NO WAAAY, NEVER EVER!!!!, nothing good will come from that. My wife had a friend we used to eat out with and every time she'd find a reason to complain about something. Even after I warned her she kept it up so we stopped dining out with her.

My restaurant rules:
1) open kitchen if possible.
2) never modify/substitute any order, and I mean NEVER if its fast food.
3) Never, but never, ever send anything back.
4) I over tip and treat all staff with respect.
5) Tips are in cash so they don't need to be reported or shared with the owner.
6) I am a repeat customer, so #4 can pay dividends.
7) Bartenders/cocktail waiters/waitresses always get at least buck a glass

I'm sure I still eat my share of things I don't want to think about.

Before I moved up here in between jobs I did pest control 2 years.
Tell you what the top notch Sanfransisco Restaurants and Golf Courses Club in the bay area where some of worse places. Rats the size of cats, interesting job but stopped dinning much after that job, I saw stuff stuff you do not wanna see !
It is an interesting business and at times a challenging industry (oda/epa).
However, I wouldn't trade my business for a thing. It sure beats sitting at a desk. Germaphobes and claustrophobics need not apply. :)

Yeah, well you haven't LIVED until you have to replace the old nasty fan/coil for the refrigeration system in a walk-in cooler. Freezers aren't so bad, but WOW can the "sludge" build-up on all the surfaces, and the slime build-up in the condensate pan and drain lines... sometimes you SWEAR it moves on it's own!

BTW- Does anyone else remember a couple years back when a bunch of people kept getting sick after eating at the Oregon City Toaco Bell? They set up hidden video and caught and employee with a plastic baggy of his own crap and mixing it in with the refried beans... I $heite you not!

I swear, if ever catch someone "vandalizing" my food... they better have their affairs in order.

Well I guess I know why we eat right down the street at the Local restaurant where the Barmaids (we eat upstairs in the bar as we like the less crowded room) tend to give us hugs on the way out and let us know when they are going to be back on shift. And what the upcoming specials are. We also eat at a couple of the Pubs in town and the Thai place where we have eaten for maybe 15 years or more since they opened. Their daughter who is in about 4th grade now does art work for us.

I'm a BIG believer in knowing the people who I do business with. Be it the names of the people at the hardware store that I can be in and out of three times in a day or the various restaurants around town. We tip well and always let the servers and when we can the cooks or chef's how much we enjoyed the food.

We can get a excellent steak dinner here in town with HOT vegies a nice baker and a serious Dinner salad 3-4 drinks and the bill with tip is less then $40.00

Fancy is a relative term. We go for Good.

Soft ice cream, Ever noticed there are times it is Icy cold and stands up on the cone or dish real nice, that is usually when it taste the best also.
Ever noticed at times it slumps and is kinda defrosted almost tacky but you ate it anyway. You should see one of those cooling systems that freezes the mix after a week. The mix runs through the gaskets and freezing tubes and the build up of slop in the parts that require removal and cleaning at least once a week might get put off for two weeks or so depending on the business. Next time you see a slumping wet looking cone you will know why.
A friend of mine has an franchise selling burgers and ice cream, about six full time employees. He works alone every Sunday morning, Just long enough to clean those machines before the staff gets in. He won't let someone else take the responsibility in fear it won't get done or get done improperly. I Learned to eat Ice cream on Mondays.
Silver Hand

One word and three treatments that lasts for two years: DUKORAL

img-dukoral.png

From Wikipedia...

Rather like the lesser punishment called the stocks, the pillory consisted of hinged wooden boards forming holes through which the head and/or various limbs were inserted; then the boards were locked together to secure the captive. Pillories were set up to hold petty criminals in marketplaces, crossroads, and other public places.[2] They were often placed on platforms to increase public visibility of the offender. Often a placard detailing the crime was placed nearby; these punishments generally lasted only a few hours.[citation needed]

In being forced to bend forward and stick their head and hands out in front of them, offenders in the pillory would have been extremely uncomfortable during their punishment. However, the main purpose in putting criminals in the pillory was to publicly humiliate them. On discovering that the pillory was occupied, people would excitedly gather in the marketplace to taunt, tease and laugh at the offender on display.[citation needed]

Those who gathered to watch the punishment typically wanted to make the offender's experience as unpleasant as possible. In addition to being jeered and mocked, those in the pillory might be pelted with mouldy fruit and vegetables, rotten eggs, bad fish, mud, offal, dead animals, and animal excrement. As a result, criminals were often very dirty by the end of their punishment, their faces and hair begrimed with the smelly refuse with which they had been pelted.[citation needed]. Sometimes people were killed or maimed in the pillory because crowds could get too violent and pelt the offender with stones, bricks and other dangerous objects.[4]

The criminal could also be sentenced to further punishments while in the pillory: humiliation by shaving off some or all hair or regular corporal punishment(s), notably flagellation (the pillory serving as the "whipping post") or even permanent mutilation such as branding or having an ear cut off (cropping), as in the case of John Bastwick.

I used to work in a top restaurant here in Portland; still there. $75-100/plate.

For that price you would get flies, spiders, wasps, and whatever else was in the window sill put into your food.

If people knew what they were really eating they'd crap their pants.

Typically, the nicer the restaurant the more chance someone has put a yellow jacket into your food. Bitter employees taking it out on 'rich' customers.

Now, if you are crazy enough to send your food back for any reason, all bets are off.

If you ever order food delivered, like pizza, well ... you are an idiot. Chances are that pizza has been dropped on a nasty floor a couple times, been around cock roaches and their feces, etc. Trust me, been behind the scenes there also.
What's the big deal about some bugs in your food?

I think people are far too germaphobic for their own good.

If it tastes good and doesn't make you sick, who cares?

The simple truth is that a cockroach probably has less bacteria than your kitchen counter.

Somebody putting bugs in your food should be the least of your worries when it comes to commercial kitchens.

As a plumber, I've seen my fair share of commercial kitchens from service calls. My list of places to not eat grows as time goes by, due to unsanitary food handling and unsanitary plumbing related issues. Unfortunately, some have been places I used to frequent and actually had great tasting food.

There are a lot of disgusting commercial kitchens out there, sometimes I'm amazed how the Health Dept. does not shut some of them down. I have seen so many restaurants with health/sanitary issues due to improper plumbing it is crazy.

When you see raw sewage backed up inside a food prep sink that is not draining into a floor sink and is directly connected to the drain, you know no matter how much they try to sanitize the sink, the health related issues that could arise from that does not go away after just cleaning the sink with bleach.

You guys really do not want to know what goes on inside some commercial kitchens.

What's the big deal about some bugs in your food?

I think people are far too germaphobic for their own good.

If it tastes good and doesn't make you sick, who cares?

The simple truth is that a cockroach probably has less bacteria than your kitchen counter.

Spoken like a real man! :)

I swear though. I remember one time a lady complained. The waiters had the dishwashers fill her food with spiders and flies and then they all watched in glee as she ate them down.

Some really brutal stuff. I mean the average person would gag to death if they knew. Trust me, it still goes on - everyday at nicer restaurants.

My restaurant rules:
1) open kitchen if possible.
2) never modify/substitute any order, and I mean NEVER if its fast food.
3) Never, but never, ever send anything back.
4) I over tip and treat all staff with respect.
5) Tips are in cash so they don't need to be reported or shared with the owner.
6) I am a repeat customer, so #4 can pay dividends.
7) Bartenders/cocktail waiters/waitresses always get at least buck a glass

I'm sure I still eat my share of things I don't want to think about.

If everyone lived by these rules, guys like Mr. Gummer wouldn't have to deal with quite so much paranoia.:)

Also, for your enjoyment:

<broken link removed>

I'm sure there are similar websites for all counties.

Food for thought (see what I did there?) more than one health official has told me that most of the time when you think you're sick with the flu, it's really a food-borne illness. Much more prevalent than people think.

If everyone lived by these rules, guys like Mr. Gummer wouldn't have to deal with quite so much paranoia.:)

That is true, but when I worked there they made additions to just random people's good.

I looked the place up. A+ rating, top comments on Yelp now.

Most of the food I eat is at home or I make it myself; I am no chef by any means, but I started taking better care of myself. Lots of veggies, etc - bleech lol. Like Charles Barkey said "I am not going to lie. I'd rather have a pizza. This stuff is nasty."

If I do eat at a restaurant I always go out of my way to be super nice to the server, etc, so hopefully there will be a minimal amount of things put into my food.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top