JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Oh, yeah.

Easier to harass Bubba at gun show than crack down on criminals

… Examiner traded e-mail with Cottrol this morning. He recalled speaking with the Times reporter and noted, "The point I was making was that the administration and<broken link removed> advocates generally are more interested in getting new gun laws and going after law abiding gun owners than going after criminals who misuse guns."

<broken link removed>

Would love to read that article, but there are so many ads on the Examiner that it either crashes or barely opens the browser on my iPad. I can't visit that site without industrial strength adblocking software!

Would love to read that article, but there are so many ads on the Examiner that it either crashes or barely opens the browser on my iPad. I can't visit that site without industrial strength adblocking software!

Y'know, of course, that complaining to me, or complaining about it here, doesn't do any good at all. Complain to Examiner.
I forwarded your comment to them. I have a suspicion your blocker software ain't making it. :rolleyes:

Y'know, of course, that complaining to me, or complaining about it here, doesn't do any good at all. Complain to Examiner.
I forwarded your comment to them. I have a suspicion your blocker software ain't making it. :rolleyes:
Maybe not but it still cuts out some customers for their website.
Just sayin:rolleyes:
Contact them and get more popups,while trying?
Hmmm

I stopped doing the Examiner thing long ago myself.

This may be but you still lose readers because of it, find a better host.

Ok so I put up with the ads... force closed a pop up. Forced to listen to a video while I looked for the little tiny hidden X button....

I agree the more malicious the ads the less credible audience it reaches. But Im glad to know there is some good journalism getting out there. Dont stop.

when the page loads on a crap site full of ads & pop ups.....soon as you see the text load hit your escape button to stop the rest of the page from loading ;)

I understand the need to generate revenue by selling ads, but there is a point of diminishing returns where a site gets so clogged up with ads and malicious spam and pop-ups that it becomes essentially unuseable and people just stop clicking on it. The Examiner reached that point a long time ago and it keeps getting worse. I like the articles, but having to hack and fight my way through the avalanche of spam is just too much work.

Ok so I put up with the ads... force closed a pop up. Forced to listen to a video while I looked for the little tiny hidden X button....

I agree the more malicious the ads the less credible audience it reaches. But Im glad to know there is some good journalism getting out there. Dont stop.

Compare the Examiner ads with the ads here on NWFA.

The layout of the ads here on NWFA is such that you can very clearly see and read them, but they are also tasteful and unobtrusive enough that they do not interfere with your ability to navigate the site. Most of them are firearm-related and many are from local vendors. They are presented in such a way as to motivate the forum member to click on and read them.

The Examiner ads, on the other hand, are spam. The pop-up ads often have the "x" deliberately obscured and situated in a manner that inevitably causes you to click on the ad itself instead of the "x", which causes it to open by accident, which bogs down your browser and forces you to waste time trying to back out. Or, a video will randomly start playing with no clear way of shutting it off. In my mind this crosses the line from being merely obtrusive to being downright malicious. Sometimes you literally have to fight your way through the ads to get to the content you want to read and I cannot see how this can possibly be a productive method of advertising. In appearance and function it comes across like one of those fake "virus alert" pop up ads from China, or something a hacker would put together in a basement.

Last Edited:
When I click on Dave's link all I see is the main article and along the side and underneath his article are links to more Examiner articles. No ads whatsoever. I certainly do remember getting those annoying pop ups and aggravating videos that auto play not too long ago when I got a new laptop, but whatever ad blocker I downloaded sure works. I'm on a Windows 8 machine and I am running Firefox.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top