JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Who knew this cartoon would actually predict the future?

[url[/url]

But, in all seriousness, a pole flip could really screw up a lot of things for a long time. Will it happen soon or a thousand years from now? Will it be quick or drawn out? Hard to know.

I am sure it will be quicker than they can observe. They seemed to know the sun was about to but dont think anyone even saw it happen. Will probably be over in seconds ? But who knows. About the only thing it will mess with is compass aided navigation.

I am sure it will be quicker than they can observe. They seemed to know the sun was about to but dont think anyone even saw it happen. Will probably be over in seconds ? But who knows. About the only thing it will mess with is compass aided navigation.

I thought this article had a good discussion of various possibilities:

What If Earth's Magnetic Poles Flip? | Scientists Discuss the Effects of a Geomagnetic Field Reversal | LiveScience

What and when - who knows?

Ok question , may sound stupid.

If the magnetic poles reverse, would not magnetized devices work the opposite, maybe I am tired.
But they said when the sun does this the chemical compositions work different. So would that not occur here in some devices?
Maybe my brain is tired but are not magnets operating they way they do because of the earths field ?
So would they now work different if reversed?

Ohhh k where is my advil :D
I dont think the North and South poles will affect + vs - polarity of objects, but who knows. ???
Now a beer and some ibuprofen........

The flipping itself would mess with navigation yes,--and everything running off navigation such as satellites. The larger problem is the relationship between the various levels of atmospheric protection and the cycles of the sun. Should they coincide at the wrong point where the sun decides to belch a flare or belch no flares, messing with the status we enjoy, well--night night. Check out SuspiciousObservers on YT, he's got the serious low down.

This is nothing new... Ever since the discovery of "magnetic stripes" in the Atlantic Basin in the 50's (which also validated plate tectonics), we've known that the the magnetic fields reverse. The paranoid will say that we're "overdue" for another flip, but these don't occur on any predetermined periodic rate. In recent times (within the last 5 million years) the flips can occur anywhere from ever 100,000 to million years. The last flip was 780k years ago. So yes it has been a relatively long period since a flip, so it could happen tomorrow, or it could happen next year, or 100,000 years from now, or a million years from now.

I guess maybe it takes the tin foil sites some time to learn about these scientific principles, who knows. Just wait until they realize that there is a Wolf-Rayet star (WR 104) with its pole pointed towards earth that has the chance of a gamma ray burst that could wipe out all life on Earth! Start building your lead lined gamma ray shelters now!!!!!!!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top