JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
This ad is no longer active. View more ads here.
Reactions
Early S&W Airweight .38 Special. Before model numbers, 1950's. Very good condition, shows holster wear. Come with accessories in picture.

Trade for 9mm or .45 ACP pistol. Could ad cash for the right pistol. NO GLOCKS.

North Spokane, Deer Park area. FTF, DL and current concealed permit.

Please respond via PM.

Please do not ask about a "cash price" as I am only interested in a trade.
Thanks.

12-14-12Airweight_zpsf0e6b65b.jpg

This is from memory: Roll that cylinder open and check for a number above the hinge...This could be a model 12 or a "pre 12" w/ no numbers, if it has 5 screws on the right side (1 hidden by grip, 1 at the front of the trigger guard). Some had aluminum cylinders and there are cautionary notes out there that they should not be fired at all.....Those grips are the diamond magnas though, right? I've seen people in the blogs claim they're worth a C-note.

This is from memory: Roll that cylinder open and check for a number above the hinge...This could be a model 12 or a "pre 12" w/ no numbers, if it has 5 screws on the right side (1 hidden by grip, 1 at the front of the trigger guard). Some had aluminum cylinders and there are cautionary notes out there that they should not be fired at all.....Those grips are the diamond magnas though, right? I've seen people in the blogs claim they're worth a C-note.

Pretty sure the model 12 is a six shooter.

yup....my bad..."airweight" is what threw me.....so, if this one has a steel cylinder, it would simply be a "chiefs special" circa 1950-1956ish..? which then became a model 36 in 1958 or so.

i agree with skippy. chiefs special. i would make a trade offer if it wernt so far away.

just because it doesnt have a model written on the frame doesnt mean it doesnt have a model number. spare me with the before model numbers thing. sheesh, really.... before model numbers?

#1 Do some research-- S&W introduced model numbers in 1957. Before that, they were known by model name only. Yes, many S&W handguns are "sheesh, really....before model numbers?"
#2 Look close at the photo-- the locking notches in the cylinder show it's a 5 shot. Again, do some research-- this is a Chief's Special Airweight. This one ("before model numbers") was produced prior to 1957, making it what is sometimes known as a "pre model 37".
#3 Some very early airweight Chiefs were produced with an aluminum cylinder, and most of those have either had their cylinders replaced or are in the hands of serious collectors-- again, do some research. The aluminum frame is what makes it an airweight Chief, not the cylinder.
#4 If you're gonna speak as an authority, please get your facts straight-- see #1,2,& 3 above.
#5 Some sites prohibit any replies to a for sale thread other than an "I'll take it". Even if that's not a rule here, it's pretty rude to turn this person's for sale ad into a chat room (esp when you don't have your facts straight). I'm breaking that protocol myself, and I apologize to CallMaker for that, but I just had to speak up.

I think the mods should clean this up for Callmaker. The spirit of the early posts was helpful. Disclaimers were included where info was not a certainty. Certain characteristics not evident in the photo were pointed out to help Callmaker identify the piece. The objective was achieved to help identify the model. Research is hard to do, particularly where the piece is not in hand. As such there is no definitive source on the net. I don't think anyone minds your input Hotrod150 but it's not really necessary to redundantly admonish us to "do your research." And, we don't care about "other forums." Most of us left the "other forum."

Personally, I think your method of "looking at the locking notches in the cylinder" is flawed, given the photo angle. I think you peeked....at the speedloaders. :rolleyes:

#1 Do some research-- S&W introduced model numbers in 1957. Before that, they were known by model name only. Yes, many S&W handguns are "sheesh, really....before model numbers?"
#2 Look close at the photo-- the locking notches in the cylinder show it's a 5 shot. Again, do some research-- this is a Chief's Special Airweight. This one ("before model numbers") was produced prior to 1957, making it what is sometimes known as a "pre model 37".
#3 Some very early airweight Chiefs were produced with an aluminum cylinder, and most of those have either had their cylinders replaced or are in the hands of serious collectors-- again, do some research. The aluminum frame is what makes it an airweight Chief, not the cylinder.
#4 If you're gonna speak as an authority, please get your facts straight-- see #1,2,& 3 above.
#5 Some sites prohibit any replies to a for sale thread other than an "I'll take it". Even if that's not a rule here, it's pretty rude to turn this person's for sale ad into a chat room (esp when you don't have your facts straight). I'm breaking that protocol myself, and I apologize to CallMaker for that, but I just had to speak up.

i know this may be a hard concept but smith and wessons fisrt offering was actually called the "model 1" and this a almost a hundred years before smith and wesson used model numers. its also hard to believe that when you have hand ejctors lettered they (the smith and wesson historian) actually states the "model number" of the piece as something different than things like 2nd model hand ejector. then again im kind of a bullshiner and tend to just make stuff up.

hope this helps.

Status
This ad is no longer active. View more ads here.